advertisement

Wanted, a forgiving cartridge!

kowalski99

pfm Member
I'm running an old Rega flagship system, (Hal, 2 x Exons, Eos, P9 with Exact cartridge and a pair of Rega RS10 speakers). The system doesn't sound great with modern vinyl with a fairly compressed sound and muted highs. It does sound great with a couple of old records but given most of my music is from new pressings I need a cartridge that flatters poor pressings. Any suggestions. I prefer a slightly bright and expansive sound. My initial thoughts were an ortofon quintet black but I've had mixed reviews about them. I even go as far as an apheta 3. Any other suggestions welcome but £1250 is my absolute max budget.

I think a quintet black is excellent for the money. Very good indeed.
At the very top end of your budget, I’ve heard nothing better than the Lyra Delos under £1300-1400. It is probably all the cart that most of us would need.
You may need to get some spacer shims for the rear of your arm to accommodate non-Rega carts.

Qunitet black is a xcellent choice for 100s of decks but not on a Rega ( Unless you fit a arm with azimuth / VTA adjustment )
thoughts were an ortofon quintet black but I've had mixed reviews about them ( only in the incorrect set-up )
2.4.1. Ortofon Compatibility with Rega brand TT/TA:
REGA brand cartridges’ height from stylus tip to the top cartridge mounting surface is lower than standard. Therefore you would need spacers to ensure the correct set-up of the Ortofon cartridge.
Adjusting the height of your Rega tonearm is easy with Acoustic Signature's Spacer Set. It allows you to adjust the height from 0.5 mm to 3.5 mm in precise steps of 0.5 mm - without removing the tone arm. Simply loosen the screws, insert the AS-spacer, then lock the screws back down, and you're tonearm is ready to play.
3.2 - 4 mm spacers should be enough for 2M cartridge.
2 - 3 mm spacers should be enough for Quintet cartridge.
NB: we do not recommend use spacers for aligning of 2M Black & MC Quintet Black cartridges on the Rega tonearm. Both cartridges use Nude Shibata diamond, that is very sensitive for the correct VTA adjustment, which can hardly be obtained using spacers.

Try and have a listen to an Audio Technica AT33tpg/II or the new OC9 with ML stylus or better. I think either would supply what you are looking for.

Dynavector 17DVX moving coil

The overall height of the cartridge is a very close match to Rega carts so no VTA adjustments to worry about......and it sounds great too !

17dv uses a microridge extended line contact stylus 62um2 Shibata line contact is only 46 um2 (50% more groove contact area )
even more sensitive to correct alignment re azimuth & VTA /SRA for best performance & stylus lifespan

Spherical_vs._Elliptical_Styli.jpg

03-10-01-19.png

I'd strongly recommend either a Nagaoka MP moving magnet: they're much warmer than an Exact, or perhaps a Dynavector DV10X5, high output mc. Both great and may we'll give you what you're after. ATs are great but I wouldn't put them in the forgiving camp. You could go more high end than either of these models with either brand, btw.

No I completely get that and still stream and buy the occasional CD. I love the experience, look and collectable qualities of vinyl though. So for me I'm looking for one of those cartridges that do manage to sound good with modern pressings....

If I were you, I'd be looking at a different turntable instead.
Nonsense.

P9 is an excellent table. Mine is outfitted with Funk Achro and Extemephono Speed mat, and an Ortofon Jubilee cart. It's probably the best sound in my collection.

Mine is also on three ceramic cones and on a thin sorbothane puck isolated platform.

Surprised no one mentioned Nagaoka - MP110 or 200 would be a good fit I'm sure.

Had an original p9 loved it great table.

My suggestion would be to to stay with Rega - an Ania Pro MC cart (£750) into a Fono MC phono stage (£249). I was also going to suggest a pair of new white belts but they appear to be discontinued, I think the new EBLT is due any time soon. Rega's dedicated bracket/support really does lift performance and may also be within budget.

What about a Denon 103, or a variant? They are about 1mm taller than a Rega cartridge so no real need for a spacer. The stylus is a high quality nude conical that is less critical of setup and kinder to less than perfect records.

Nonsense. P9 is an excellent table.

I'm not saying it isn't but these top Rega tables, I have an RP10, are not like most. Clean, neutral and revealing are three words that could be used to describe them. They don't flatter anything. They let you hear what's on the record without adding anything else.

So if you want a more romantic vinyl experience, I think a different record player would be better.

advertisement

Back