advertisement

want lower noise from your memory card

You'd think that with all the resources Sony has got that they could research actual ways that could improve sound quality!

The problem with Sony is that they "Offloaded" all the expensive R&D departments in Japan and try to "design" and manufacture in China.

Apple's the new Sony, while Sony's in its death throws, operated by accounts that just see R&D in Japan = Expensive, R&D in China = Cheap... But then you get what you pay for....

Its so sad as I remember the AMAZING quality of Sony products back in the 80's and early 90's...

As far as I can see, if we ignore whether SD card read noise is at all important, sony provide absolutely no information about what the read noise is of their existing cards and the new one. It could just be that their existing cards are 5x worse than the majority of their competitors cards, so their 'premium audio' product is actually in line with normal cards from their competitors.

As for their claim to this improving sound, it doesn't take much effort to plonk a couple of players down with the old and new cards, and do a study to show what people think sounds better. Any links to any sort of study to substantiate their claims?

The problem with Sony is that they "Offloaded" all the expensive R&D departments in Japan and try and "design" and manufacture in China.

Apple's the new Sony, while Sony's in its death throws, operated by accounts that just see R&D in Japan = Expensive, R&D in China = Cheap... But then you get what you pay for....

Its so sad as I remember the AMAZING quality of Sony products back in the 80's and early 90's...

Agreed. Their current imaging stuff is very good though, so it's not all bad.

So is some of their HiF IME.

And the PS4 isn't bad.

Oh and then they make some cracking BluRay players and some great LCD's.

Come to think of it ;)

As far as I can see, if we ignore whether SD card read noise is at all important, sony provide absolutely no information about what the read noise is of their existing cards and the new one. It could just be that their existing cards are 5x worse than the majority of their competitors cards, so their 'premium audio' product is actually in line with normal cards from their competitors.

As for their claim to this improving sound, it doesn't take much effort to plonk a couple of players down with the old and new cards, and do a study to show what people think sounds better. Any links to any sort of study to substantiate their claims?
Possibilities are a big buffer to do read ahead smooth out read access and better process giving lower current spikes.

USB memory keys have more possibilities by adding extra decoupling capacitors and low voltage swings from the memory controller to the memory chips

My main source is USB memory keys/flash drives.

This sounds better to my ears (and in my setup) than a computer feeding the dac via USB.

In fact they sound sublime. I would have no interest in supposedly lower noise storage.

I can't comment on the memory card but Sony from my experience show technical excellence.

I chose our Sony 65" TV because it was the best given what I was prepared to pay.

The Sony Xperia phones my kids have are excellent.

The Sony A7 full frame mirrorless camera is market leading.

The Sony sensors which Nikon use in many of their products are there because they are the best.

advertisement

Back