advertisement

Wagner`s Ring on R3

Barrymagrec

pfm Member
R3 are broadcasting the Covent Garden ring cycle from 2018 starting with Rhinegold at 19.00 tonight (Wednesday) and finishing with Gotterdammerung on Saturday.

Too good to miss (for me).

I think you need visuals. I can remember recording the whole opera on Betamax in the early eighties from a Channel 4 broadcast. Those were the days....

I find with opera that if I see it once I can visualise perfectly well with sound only - I have seen the ring on TV, not live but it all works perfectly for me.

Not sure that my OH would appreciate me locking myself in the music room for that long, night after night!

We don`t have a special listening room so Mrs BM will be listening along with me - she has on occasion suggested "ring days" where we listen to the whole cycle in a single day - takes a couple more days to come out of ringworld afterwards though....

R3 are broadcasting the Covent Garden ring cycle from 2018 starting with Rhinegold at 19.00 tonight (Wednesday) and finishing with Gotterdammerung on Saturday.

Too good to miss (for me).
I can't agree more. That was fabulous. I have lost count of how many recordings I have but this stands out as one of the best performances. Source first? For sure if that refers to the BBC engineers' efforts presenting a credible vision of what's happening on stage. "... Abendlich strahlt der Sonne Auge ..." "Folge mir Frau ins Vallhall. Wohne mit mir ..."

I really look forward to the inimitable final act of Die Walküre tomorrow.

advertisement

Back