Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[FS] WAD KIT88

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by Weecrackpot, May 29, 2022.

1. Weecrackpot

Weecrackpot Frank made me do it.

Up for grabs is my KIT 88 integrated, too good a amp to be a in a cupboard,
    it developed a fault with one of the Blackgates and Ali T of this parish fixed it last year,
    replaced all the other Blackgates as well, still in the box I got it back in,
    from my last conversations with him,it works and sounding lovely,
    but there was a distortion in one channel after a while I think,
    £450.00 pick up/meet preferred from Glasgow or willing to travel a reasonable distance for handover,
    the Sowter UO82s transformers are £250.00 a piece.

Last edited: May 30, 2022
  2. eastone

eastone pfm Member

That’s a bargain for someone.

Andy is a lovely guy to deal with too… good luck with the sale mate.

Weecrackpot likes this.
  3. Weecrackpot

Thanks Ian, great amp and too good as a door stopper,
    can email pics if interested,open to swaps too for MacBook Air M1 cash your way.

4. shrink

shrink pfm Member

Any idea what’s causing the one channel distortion and how long it plays before that kicks in?

I’m in Edinburgh and still waiting on my gato amp from Denmark. Had considered picking up a cheap wee valve number for a laugh to play with in the meantime.

5. hifi-dog

hifi-dog pfm Member

Might be worth swapping the small driver and phase splitter valves when the distortion starts to see if it swaps channel’s… they are the cheapest and easiest things to replace

6. Disarmamant

Disarmamant Certified foo free

7. Weecrackpot

Hi,

I’ve no idea, I haven’t used it it since I got it back from Ali.

8. Weecrackpot

Never thought of that, I’ve gone back to solid state with a Quad 909 hence this has been in the back burner for last 5 years or more gathering dust.

9. Weecrackpot

Last edited: May 30, 2022
  10. Weecrackpot

[​IMG][/URL] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][/IMG]

11. Weecrackpot

I don’t know how I did it, but I’ve just signed up to imgbox and succeeded,
    took me most of the morning, pic now added.

12. hifi-dog

hifi-dog pfm Member

I built one of those but not as tidy as that and even with the standard transformers it was superb. I’d be after this if Glasgow and Norfolk were about 400 miles closer together!

Weecrackpot likes this.
  13. Weecrackpot

Thanks, I am afraid it was built when I bought it,
    it is a superb amp, used with Harbeth SHL5 then Chatsworth’s,
    (Covers mouth as he says this) “if Naim was to make a valve amp, it would be this”.:p

For some reason the frontal pic didn’t load,
    i faffed about but no joy, can email if you want to see it.

14. shrink

shrink pfm Member

How did you find it into the shl5?

15. Weecrackpot

Probably not the best person to ask, It was nice, woke the Harbs up, big solid punchy bass and nice through the mid and airy highs,
    think the Sowters and the Svetlana Winged C’s and Blackgates played a part, it feels it was never gonna run out of steam,
    it suited my listening taste which is mainly from girl with a guitar folk/country to rock, no classical or opera.

16. Weecrackpot

Update:

finally decided to put this amp in service the last couple of days to check the problem,
    I’ve narrowed it down to a scratchy potentiometer, upon switch on there was intermittent scratchy sound on one channel,
    after twiddling it round it’s arc it played flawlessly all day long,no more scratchiness or imbalance after a few minutes.

My god I’ve forgotten how good this thing is, through my Chromecast and Toshiba SD900e DVD player to JBL Century L100,
    “Trans Europe Express” then “Tour De France” took me through a panoramic journey of Europe in a different way, fabulous..
    then females vocals via Joni-“Night Ride Home” , Natalie -Tiger Lilly” and Kate -“Aeriel” followed, fab again.

Yesterday I spent spinning through the 10 C.D. boxset of Stephane Pompougnac “Hotel Costes”,
    fab x 3, never missed a beat and not listened to my hifi for this length of time for a long time.

I guess I’ll withdraw this from sale and hop over to WAD forum for advice of a new volume pot.

LostAtSea, hifi-dog and eastone like this.
  17. hifi-dog

hifi-dog pfm Member

Smart choice!

Weecrackpot likes this.
  18. eastone

eastone pfm Member

If you have the budget the TKD pots are fantastic.

Weecrackpot likes this.
  19. Weecrackpot

Thanks Iain, will keep that in mind.

20. lencotweaker

lencotweaker Mostly dreaming of record players

I had the same problem on the WAD kit6550 which is a very similar amp. I loosed a can of Servisol electrical switch contact cleaner into the pot and twiddled the knob for a few minutes and all is now well. I did buy a spare Alps blue pot in case it didn’t work but it’s been fine since

Weecrackpot and montesquieu like this.