advertisement

VW emissions claim

PhilofCas

pfm Member
Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience on this? I had a qualifying car, but not done a claim, I actually thought the ability to claim had ended, but seeing an ad recently it appears it’s still very much open to make a claim.

If possible would like recommendations of who to use to action a claim, I’m tempted to use these https://cleanairclaims.co.uk/claimn...JuRGa9IhuzhMSWgxpItI9sdT0djFNzS4aAiW_EALw_wcB

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Phil.

What will you do with the money?

Will you give it to a clean air charity?

Will you use it to go on holiday?

We made a claim ages ago.

Slater & Gordon ?

I can’t remember, The Wife did it.

Not heard anything for a while.

I don’t like being lied to by huge corporations, and feel they should pay for falsehoods. It will take ages though, so it isn’t something I think about often.

As for any monies that come from the class action, we support brain injury and cerebral palsy charities, so there are two potential beneficiaries.
I might put some money towards some new tyres, as my Yeti will be ready for new boots soon.

I will be surprised if much comes of it.

I am more interested in the VAG group admitting that they deliberately misled the public.

I reckon a lot of these claims will fail. For one main reason - individuals who have bought these cars are going to find it very difficult to show a 'loss' to claim against.

Governments have a better claim on loss of tax revenue. Buyers arguably saved money by paying less tax than they should have.

I'm struggling to see what loss or damage the VW claimants suffered to entitle them to compensation. Of course, they'll say that they based their purchase, in part, upon a misrepresentation. I'd be surprised of more than 1% actually paid any attention to the emissions figures. Certainly when I'm buying a car, emissions, fuel consumption, 0-60 don't figure in my considerations.
That said, I've read somewhere that some hifi fans base their purchases upon measurements, so maybe I'm the one that's out of step.

I'm struggling to see what loss or damage the VW claimants suffered to entitle them to compensation. Of course, they'll say that they based their purchase, in part, upon a misrepresentation. I'd be surprised of more than 1% actually paid any attention to the emissions figures. Certainly when I'm buying a car, emissions, fuel consumption, 0-60 don't figure in my considerations.
That said, I've read somewhere that some hifi fans base their purchases upon measurements, so maybe I'm the one that's out of step.
They based their purchase on tax class (VED), which was based on emissions. As for "emissions, fuel and 0-60 don't figure in my purchase", that puts in in a class of 1 if true, or the winner of today's Captain Disingenuous award. I know very well I wouldn't buy a car for daily use that did less than 30 mpg, nor would I buy one that took more than 15 sec to get to 60. (2CV, Land Rover, Austin 7, I'd make an exception). Not many would. These cars were sold to consumers on the basis of "Only £30 VED" or whatever the figure was, at that time I was driving that well known performance car the Mondeo 1.8 and being stung for £275 VED a year. You bet your bloody life lower VED was a factor.

They based their purchase on tax class (VED), which was based on emissions. As for "emissions, fuel and 0-60 don't figure in my purchase", that puts in in a class of 1 if true, or the winner of today's Captain Disingenuous award. I know very well I wouldn't buy a car for daily use that did less than 30 mpg, nor would I buy one that took more than 15 sec to get to 60. (2CV, Land Rover, Austin 7, I'd make an exception). Not many would. These cars were sold to consumers on the basis of "Only £30 VED" or whatever the figure was, at that time I was driving that well known performance car the Mondeo 1.8 and being stung for £275 VED a year. You bet your bloody life lower VED was a factor.
Not followed this in detail, but have the affected VAG cars been reclassified for VED, then? If so, then that’s a tangible loss, but it’s also a bit of a windfall for the Exchequer.

Not followed this in detail, but have the affected VAG cars been reclassified for VED, then? If so, then that’s a tangible loss, but it’s also a bit of a windfall for the Exchequer.
I don't know but as you say that is a definite tangible loss. It is also a distinct possibility in the future, which I would be driving at if I were the lawyer in question. After all, it's not just the losses you *do* incur, but also the potential ones. Bear in mind that at resale the cars will be less desirable for this reason. There's another probable loss. VED has been used in recent years to tax old cars off the road. That's why my Mondy went up to £275 a year. There were some real road burners that attracted less tax. A case in point is my own Audi A5 diesel. It's 240bhp, 0-60 in under 6, 155mph limited top speed, yet tax is something like £160. That's a high performance car in any language, one that you cannot safely use to its full on any UK public road. How on earth is a car like that better for the planet than a ratty Mondeo that turns in 40 mpg? It's not, but VED is £100 difference, and things like that kill off old cars. We all know that diesels will be taxed off the road in due course, either by VED or city congestion/LEZ rules. VAG will be no exception.

There are so many issues over Diesel Gate but the one that rankles the most with me is the way VW have dealt with this in different countries. The more litigious the environment (USA for example) the bigger the hand out to customers. I know that if you look at this pragmatically that makes sense but that action also tells you a great deal about how much the organisation really cares or doesn’t.

I should add that I come at this from the perspective that no car is ‘green’ even those saintly electric vehicles. I also tend to favour the view that the greenest vehicles are the oldest because of the amount of energy used in producing the thing in the first place. The longer you can keep it going the better it is for the environment but of course not for the manufacturers. Yes I know that that doesn’t address the issue of air quality but it looks like working from home might be taking care of that to a certain extent.

All the pollution controls were pushed through far too quickly putting manufacturers into a tricky position.

We used to have reliable diesels that were good for 200k miles with minimal problems, now problems start at 100k.

Look at the number of adverts for dpf cleans and replacements.

All this because the powers that be changed their minds about which gas in worse.

Fuel economy is very dependent on high combustion temperatures and guess what; NOX emissions increase as combustion temp rises.

I've just had another Tier 6 diesel back in the dealers for three weeks with emission control problems, luckily under guarantee.

VW used a neat bit of technology to beat the testers, they couldn't really then give a totally different set of performance figures to the advertising team.

yes they are pushing mercedes claims on classic Fm . surely it will just put the price of cars up and not benefit in the end ?

There are so many issues over Diesel Gate but the one that rankles the most with me is the way VW have dealt with this in different countries. The more litigious the environment (USA for example) the bigger the hand out to customers. I know that if you look at this pragmatically that makes sense but that action also tells you a great deal about how much the organisation really cares or doesn’t.
Of course they don't care. They are a commercial organisation. They sought a commercial advantage linked to lower tested emissions from their cars. If there were no taxation advantage (BIK, VED) then Dieselgate would not have happened. Commercial organisations seldom "care" about anything beyond the stock price. Any desire to "do the right thing" is coupled with the value of the company. If it raises their standing in the eyes of the public and so impacts share price and or sales, it's worth doing. If it costs them money overall, guess what?

I should add that I come at this from the perspective that no car is ‘green’ even those saintly electric vehicles. I also tend to favour the view that the greenest vehicles are the oldest because of the amount of energy used in producing the thing in the first place.
It used to be said that half of the emissions in a vehicle's life were in making it. That assumes say a 100k mile life. I have since learned that it may now take 50k miles of typical emissions to build a car. Either way, there's a reasonable figure to work with. A car takes 50k-100k miles worth of use to match the emissions used in making it.

All the pollution controls were pushed through far too quickly putting manufacturers into a tricky position.

We used to have reliable diesels that were good for 200k miles with minimal problems, now problems start at 100k.
They aren't in a tricky position at all. No manufacturer wants to see its cars in use after 100k miles. I'd say that less than half the cars out there get to 100k miles, for various reasons (accidents, critical failures, etc)

The manufacturers love to see old cars taxed out of existence, and they are a powerful lobbying group in the UK. They don't want people like me running cars up to 15 years/150k miles plus, because they don't make any money out of me.

I have an 18 year old E class Mercedes and a 19 year old Volvo V70. Both still going strong and pass MOT’s with none or only minor failures.

My criteria are comfort, build quality and reliability. Then there are things like air con, a built-in satnav, reversing sensor and Bluetooth. I've added heated seats and windscreen to my requirements recently. On a motorbike forum my user name is Mr Pootle, which sums up both my motorcycling and my driving.

advertisement

Back