advertisement

Vulcan XH558

Another interesting replica build project here; http://www.whirlwindfighterproject.org/

Westland Whirlwind, the "forgotten" RAF fighter of WWII. There are some good pictures on the web-site and some rare historic film footage.

I confess some self-interest as I am a nephew of the late W/Cmdr Thomas P Pugh, DFC who served with 263 Squadron flying Hurricanes and then Whirlwinds between June 1940 and February 1942 and as S/Ldr was Commanding Officer from August 1941. He features in some of the photos and publication extracts.

Reminder of a great aircraft. Unfortunately it was handicapped by the engines lack of development. As the only aircraft using the Peregrine it was decided that Rolls Royce should concentrate on the Merlin. Who would argue with that decision considering the wartime pressures.

On the matter of any ongoing threat from Argentina, I heard it once suggested that the RN would now merely park a couple of Type 45 Destroyers off of Buenos Aries. They are each apparently capable of simultaneously tracking almost 1500 airborne threats, be they missiles or planes, and of knocking them down 300 miles out with their own missile systems.

But ship or land radar, no matter how advanced is only line of sight. It can only see as far as the horizon for low level threats ;)

advertisement

Back