advertisement

Vuelta

cutting42

Arrived at B4 Hacker Ergo
Once again it falls to me to start a Vuelta thread some days after the start. Given the number of cyclists on here I find that puzzling.

Anyway, it has been fun to watch with excellent performances including first grand tour stage wins for Lampaert, Marczynski and Alaphilippe and just when you thought Contador was done, he discovers his form and climbs like a 20 year old again. Shame he is 3 mins behind.

The main interest is Froome in ominous looking form on his quest to win his first Vuelta and the first Tour/Vuelta double since Hinault in 1978.

I have never heard of any of this (or Vuelta) but I like cycling.

It is one of the three main bike races of the year called "Grand Tours". They are three weeks long and the most famous is the Tour de France. The Vuelta a Espana is the third with the first being the Giro d'Italia

Many thanks Gareth for starting this thread, I was tempted but after willy waving and anti Froome/Sky posts during the TDF thread I just got bored of the whole thing.

Suffice to say that I have been able to watch each stage live and as you say really excellent viewing. Early days as yet but the Froome and the Sky team are in ominous form. In fact Froome appears to riding better than he did in the TDF.

In his last Vuelta and but for losing time in early stages Contador would certainly be giving him a ride for his money. Go Bertie.

I watched the highlights each night while on hols in the UK - Froome looks very strong, but it's still a very close race. Now back in the US so I doubt I'll even be aware it's happening unless I look at the BBC website. Good luck to Froome for the double.

The Vuelta gets better.
Good presentation on ITV4 and good team presenting.
(Tour of Britain team doesn't look half as good)

Looks like Froome's to lose.

I watched on Spanish TV last week and the picture quality was terrible! Kept on pausing and then fast forwarding x10. As ever ITV4 putting on an insightful highlights show.
For someone who isn't supposed to excel on gradients greater than 12% Froome is looking very strong.

I do hope these achievements stand the test of time.

I like the guy but I have a number of cycling buddies who are very very cynical when it comes to the whole Brailsford/Sky package post Wiggins.

It makes me a little less enthusiastic than I might be. I can't see the guy winning SPOTY on the Beeb.

Wout Poels has looked very strong indeed - we've seen nothing like that from him before AFAIK.

I do hope these achievements stand the test of time.

I like the guy but I have a number of cycling buddies who are very very cynical when it comes to the whole Brailsford/Sky package post Wiggins.

It makes me a little less enthusiastic than I might be. I can't see the guy winning SPOTY on the Beeb.

Wout Poels has looked very strong indeed - we've seen nothing like that from him before AFAIK.

Well get them to report to WADA. If not shut the...

No not at all. If you or your expert friends know something then do the right thing. Report it. Don't be a know it all, key board warrior casting aspersions. Report it.

There's already been the Sky TUE abuse, the mystery package that arrived that even a Governmental Enquiry could not clear up and the reports of hormones being ordered and delivered to GB cycling.

They are saying the circumstantial evidence is there if you want to question. For many in the UK they don't and that's understandable.

I agree with you. Innocent until proven guilty - but then so was Armstrong, and Contador, and Riis and.....

That is all out in the public domain. You alluded more knowledge from friends, sounding like the big know it all. So put up or shut up.

advertisement

Back