advertisement

VPI (and other) RCM FELT STRIP REPLACEMENT

Do you rinse with pure water before vacuuming though ?

We should have a thread - How Anal Are You With Your Analogue :)

Nope. Can't see the point when the water is vacuumed out and any residual alcohol evaporates quickly when left for a while before sleeving.

Anal...Anal logue. Good stuff and very apposite, as you've got to be one to fully exploit t'other.:)

Re. wet vac. process = reduction in static. Regardless (or because ?) of the physics, I've yet to suffer static on any record since cleaning my entire collection. Previously, it was a different story. Maybe, just maybe, change of deck and arm may have had influence but can't see why; nothing else changed.

Exactly this I can 100% demonstrate 1. Record with static, 2. Clean on Project RCM, 3. Record with no static (or at least nothing that can be determined wrt to point 1.)

Doing the Lazarus thing again as I didn't get around to it before but now want to try DIY strips.

Try mrdogs cotton velvet strips plus double sided eva foam. Compliant, zero static. Long lasting g.

The cotton velvet strip is still available but would one of you mind pointing to me to a decent eva foam tape please? I don't use eBay so Amazon or elsewhere.

Shipping is a fiver on the strip/ribbon - not a bank-breaker I know but anyone interested in piggybacking on an order and sharing the total cost?

glad this is resurrected since my OK NOK is now leaving a damp patch when the vacuum tube lifts off, which I assume is a hint that new pads are due. Velvet strips are easy to find, but what was the concensus regarding tape vs glue? Happy to use either but securest preferred! Ta.

I bought my strips (for VPI 16.5) from Foxynka on Ebay a couple of years back. Already cut to correct size and self-adhesive. The first pair are still being used and are still stuck fast. Can't remember the cost but wasn't much.

Last edited:
Bouncing this thread as I've noticed some light scuff marks in the run out groove using a new (to me) Pro-ject RCM with brand new Pro-ject strips on arm. The strips do seem a bit rougher than regular felt so I'm looking to replace with something less abrasive.

Would these 'Moth' strips from Analog Seduction work?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/23425020...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

P.S. It seems I'm not alone - someone reported the same thing with a Pro-Ject machine on a Discogs thread a while back:
https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/782021

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The strips do seem a bit rougher than regular felt so I'm looking to replace with something less abrasive.

Surprising, as that RCM is very popular. S'pose it couldn't be the vac. pressure's too much for that part of the wand? Maybe the wans/felt strips are not parallel to the record? Just guessing as that Discogs link indicates varied results. Of course, the run-out groove is about the only place you'd notice slight scuffs.

Surprising, as that RCM is very popular. S'pose it couldn't be the vac. pressure's too much for that part of the wand? Maybe the wans/felt strips are not parallel to the record? Just guessing as that Discogs link indicates varied results. Of course, the run-out groove is about the only place you'd notice slight scuffs.

I think the arm is reasonably parallel - in fact the suction pulls the vinyl flat onto the arm (if that makes sense).

It's possible there are other factors also at work (cleaning solution? I'm using a water/IPA mix with a drop of the Kodak stuff) but the felt seems like an obvious thing to try first.

I can confirm that the Moth strips have never caused any problems to any of my vinyl.
I’m pretty sure they are on the Moth site if you’re still looking.

Bouncing this thread as I've noticed some light scuff marks in the run out groove using a new (to me) Pro-ject RCM with brand new Pro-ject strips on arm. The strips do seem a bit rougher than regular felt so I'm looking to replace with something less abrasive.

Would these 'Moth' strips from Analog Seduction work?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/23425020...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

P.S. It seems I'm not alone - someone reported the same thing with a Pro-Ject machine on a Discogs thread a while back:
https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/782021

Paul, on my Project VCE the vacuum tube hardly touches the run out area on the vinyl due to the length of the tube, so not sure how it could be responsible for any scuff marks there?
Most of my records make quite a bit of noise when in this run off area. Same on the run in groove which is quite noisy too. The “music” part of the records clean up good as new though. And the felt on the tube does appear a bit rough but hasn’t caused any issues on the hundred odd I have cleaned so far. I did notice wear on the tube felt where it makes contact with the outside edge of the vinyl, which is sometimes noticeably raised or even sharp on some records.
Did you try any other type of strips?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Paul, on my Project VCE the vacuum tube hardly touches the run out area on the vinyl due to the length of the tube

Hmmm! On my 16.5 I can extend or contract the tube to cover all the record, though the felt strips don't fully cover that length. I'm surprised the Project one is fixed

Hmmm! On my 16.5 I can extend or contract the tube to cover all the record, though the felt strips don't fully cover that length. I'm surprised the Project one is fixed

Do you mean to extend to the start of the run out groove? Pro-Ject sell a 7" arm with a smaller pad but I'm not sure how necessary it is. I've cleaned a couple of 10"s and obviously there's a gab where the arm overhands but it seemed to work OK.

Do you mean to extend to the start of the run out groove?

It's a simple translucent pipe pushed into the vac. housing by about half an inch, so it can be pulled out or pushed in to suit the non-label area of the record. Obv., I rarely move it because it covers all the wet surface of 95% of records. 10" records? I knew those as 78s but didn't know they existed afterwards. New one on me.

advertisement

Back