advertisement

VPI (and other) RCM FELT STRIP REPLACEMENT

Mike Reed

pfm Member
I thought I'd try out these replacement adhesive felt strips bought from eBay (link) for £8 for 4 strips.

I've just gone through the rather fiddly and painstaking task of doing this, and, judging by 6 LP sides I've just cleaned, they work well.

Removing the adhesive from the tube was very difficult, and 99% IPA wouldn't do it alone. I used a Stanley knife, scraping very lightly, interspersed with IPA, until the tube was clear. I also IPA-ed the inside for good measure. I guess it had the advantage of creating 'key' for the new pads, anyway. These strips are wider (x2 at 10mm) than the originals, but that proves to be an advantage when fitting, and doesn't interfere with close contact with the record.

One warning, though. I found that the black housing to the tube had a thin black caking throughout. It seemed like vinyl shavings which had, through 1500+records, coated the sides. IPA and cloth cleaned it easily. Of course it wouldn't affect the record, but would influence the egress of waste fluid in the tank and pipe.

So far, they appear to be fast, stand up to brushing the detritus off after each clean and provide good contact.

Compared to a complete replacement tube at £30, this represents a good deal, if, that is, you're prepared for half an hour of fiddly work. Alignment along the slit is fairly easy; not that I'd consider it crucial, anyway.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Are these felt strips made of pure cotton or some man made fibre ?
Most velvet is fabricated from man made fibres these days and I didn't fancy rubbing my vinyl with it from a static POV.

The velvet I use is 100% pure cotton.

Good point, and I've no idea, but I've not experienced static since cleaning my collection with the VPI; however, this was with the original pads.

That the strips rotate twice on a wet record would suggest they don't get dry enough to create static, which then has to be transferred to the LP to be a nuisance.

The 3 records I've just done came off the platter without any sign of static and transferred to inner in the same way. I shall be playng these records later, but I'd be very surprised indeed if static appeared for the first time in a decade.

Okay, it's not every month you need to replace felt strips on your RCM but I thought there'd be a bit more interest in this. I've since cleaned a couple more records, incl. a new one from HMV and they do seem to be as good and fast (as in sticking) as the originals.

The glue is the key thing here IMHO, were it to fail mid-clean I suspect record damage could occur. Whatever adhesive strips these felt pads have would need to be fully water-proof and able to resist the isopropyl alcohol present in most people's cleaning solution as the pads can get fairly damp when working through a decent stack of vinyl.

I bought those ebay strips and they were crap. The felt strips buckled when they dried out after first use as I suspect the glue wasn't up to much. Bought 10m of felt strip and made up loads of strips using 'sellotape' double sided tape and I change them regularly.

Guess that length would last a millennium. At £5.80 incl. I'd prefer 4 strips cut to measure with strong adhesive backs for £2.20 extra rather than mess about with glue.

Waterproof double sided tape does me the trick. I tried glue but it never held.

Well, we'll see; I don't have the occasion to clean often nowadays, which means I can't really put Tony's IPA mix wetting theory into practice, as that would be a good test.

Mind you, I guess that would apply to virtually any type of glue/double-sided tape over a period of time.

Resurrecting this thread as I'm after some replacement strips for my Pro-ject RCM and would like to DIY them if possible, so interested if anyone has done this

Did find these too https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0774WS1RS/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21 which seem the same as ones listed on eBay. Again, anyone used these on the Pro-ject?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I bought some from Moth and cut them in half, lengthways, as only a tiny bit of the strip comes close to touching the record to do any cleaning or mopping of fluid. I suspect that they will outlast me, so ££ is not really worth worrying about.

As for static!!! With water and detergent (no matter how little)???? I think not......................

Well, it's been over 2 1/2 years since posting this thread, and the 2 stris I put onto my 16.5 are still there, doing (occasional) sterling service. Can't think I'd need to put the spare two on anytime soon. Yup, I also use DIY IPA mix and have probably cleaned many dozens of my and a friend's records in the interim.

Try mrdogs cotton velvet strips plus double sided eva foam. Compliant, zero static. Long lasting g.

Zero static with water anywhere near too. Water, unless purer than you can believe, is a conductor and most especially at the voltages involved in static.

Cotton is cellulose, the same as paper. Paper rubbed against PVC??????? Just like an LP in a paper record sleeve?
If there was even the slightest, minutest, chance of generating static, you'd use polymer (OK, cellulose IS a polymer), ideally PVC, felt strips - they'd charge far less than cotton, PVC not at all.

Just apply some logic, please.

Water, unless purer than you can believe, is a conductor and most especially at the voltages involved in static.

So how is the static charge on a record removed in a wet cleaning process ?

Maybe the water (conductor) acts to remove the charge from the record into the cleaning arm.

Most 'velvet' these days is made from polyester or nylon https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velvet.

I spent much time sourcing pure cotton velvet for my strips.
The cotton velvet absorbs some the fluid and hence conduct static away, at the same time forming a good seal allowing the vacuum to perform well.

If you think that applying logic would be a better choice than applying velvet you are entitled to your opinion.

We should have a thread - How Anal Are You With Your Analogue :).

Personally - not at all, in any way shape or form, beyond using Nagoaka sleeves for the past 30+ years.
I have owned a RCM for about a year or so and have used it just a few dozen times on s/h LPs that I have bought.

I do not, however refuse to accept or try to rewrite some very simple, widely understood, and widely published physics. Take a read about triboelectric series/charging - the phenomenon behind generation of static.
Water is a conductor, and cellulose rubbed against PVC generates plenty of static, as more than amply illustrated if using paper sleeves. If you want to avoid static, simply have contact between materials at similar positions in a triboelectric series, and in this case, that means PVC and a man-made polymer, or make sure there is a conductor present.

advertisement

Back