advertisement

Volvo car parts, jeez.....how much?!?!

Mystic Mac

cauliflower ears not golden ears....
With this year’s MOT due in May, I thought I would be prudent get the old bus serviced and get a couple of issues sorted early. Well, I turn up at the garage this morning to drop the car off and the service manager tells me it will be £600 just for the replacement rear seatbelt.... it’s a 2006 V70, so probably only worth £2k at best. I nearly choked.

Cars are so overrated.

Thanks for that, but unfortunately I need the rear left passenger seatbelt. Tried a few breakers, but none have it so far.

Somewhere there’s a website that provides a service where you detail what it is you’re after, and then car breakers bid for your business.

Try Huddersfield Volvo Breakers, and also the wonderful Read View Garage in Accrington. I think they’ll both post stuff out to you.

Try the Volvo owners forum. When I had a V40 I got a new AC switch within 3 hours of posting on there and the lad gave it to me for the cost of postage. They're a very helpful bunch.

Did he explain where he gets that figure from as you can buy brand new ones on Ebay for between £95-£120.

I almost fell off my perch when I learnt it would cost NZ$1,600 for OEM shock absorbers for my BMW. That's just for ONE of the front struts. The rear ones are slightly cheaper. I've been quoted a full set of four Bilstein (B6 damptronic) equivalent for under NZ$4,000. Fitting is additional cost, of course.

Still, it is much cheaper than buying a new BMW. I just hope they don't need replacement just yet (even if I know they are past their best after 8 years and 150,000km).

I bought a new tailgate for my V70 for £80 delivered plus paint. You’re not looking hard enough. The rear seatbelts are part of the rear seat - can’t you just get one of those?

edit: I see you have! Mine is going to need a visit to a main dealers to sort an intermittent ABS warning light before too long.

edit: I got a new intercooler and hoses supplied and fitted for less than £500. I’d be looking for a new mechanic if I were you. Same guy has recently quoted me £375 to replace all belts and the water pump. The Volvo forums are a great help in diagnosing specific issues and sorting good sources of third party spares.

As a recent convert to a Volvo S80 (2005) as a means of daily transport I can confirm Volvo dealers price parts at the BMW/Audi/MB level rather than the Ford/GM level. New steering rack from Volvo dealer £1,100. New alarm siren module from dealer £300.

As a recent convert to a Volvo S80 (2005) as a means of daily transport I can confirm Volvo dealers price parts at the BMW/Audi/MB level rather than the Ford/GM level. New steering rack from Volvo dealer £1,100. New alarm siren module from dealer £300.

Good salvage parts for these cars are plentiful. The vast majority of these cars were autos and the auto gearboxes die way before the rest of the car, so good ones with broken gearboxes litter many salvage yards.

I'm new to the marque and so the breaker details in this thread are really useful to me. I also love the recycling aspect to fitting used parts.

My favourite car was a V70 T5 auto. I kept it for 200K then it became the missis’s and she put another 50k on it before we sold it for £1200! In the later years we used Partfinder which is a kind of central platform linking many breakers to customers. You just put in what you are looking for and several breakers quote.
The best result was when the ‘brain’ went and we were quoted £600 about 15 years ago. I think we got one for £30.
She did like an unusual runabout so later got a 4L XJ6. The twin exhaust went- £1200. Got a good used one for £250. We’ve still got the car.

You guys are lucky - at least there are parts available - when my Subaru broke down and needed a new throttle control unit (£500+) it turned out that it was impossible to find a replacement so the car just sat in the dealers car park...

advertisement

Back