advertisement

Volumio Help

glenn jarrett

pfm Member
Hi
looking to have a tinker with volumio
i know most people use a pie but can you install volumio on an android box ?
M8s pro 3 gig ram 16 gigflash
total newbie to this
Glenn

You do not need an app. You find the 'Volumio' wifi address on your router and log on to that from your phone's (oe your PC's) search engine. You can place that on the screen as Volumio. You will see when you try it.

If you are streaming from your PC you should look at piCore player and use Squeezebox and LMS. Volumio is better when you have all your music files on a USB stick in the device itself. Just switch it on and it is ready too use. No need for a PC or NAS box that way.
Oh and the 3B is best here still for either player.

You want a Pi with a bit of grunt, Volumio struggles on slower hardware like a first-gen Pi. Pi3B is a good choice. And agree with regard to PiCorePlayer and LMS - it's a more complex setup but so very versatile if you are streaming from a local network source.

i have got everything running now
my pc , pi, router, all on wifi
on my computer i have a drive with my music on
how do i stream from my computer drive to my pi ?

I am not very familiar with Volumio (I have tried it, but a long time ago). However, can Volumio be set up to run a UPnP/DLNA (or AirPlay) renderer? According to this link I think so (by default even).

If so then on a PC I suspect you may be able to right click on a media file and select Volumio from the "Cast to Device" list. There may be media players for the PC that can output to a UPnP/DLNA or AirPlay renderer for a more convenient solution.

Umm, I'm no digerati either, but I've just burned a Volumio to an SD card and it works straight out of the box.
Have a look in the 'Media Servers' box, does your PC appear there? If so click on it and it should open up the shared locations. You can select music from there.
If you do not see your PC in Media Servers, when you first set it up (config wizard) did you tell Volumio the ip address of your PC and give it a path? Also is your PC visible on your network?

I'm not great with volumio either...but when I tried it..I found the interface very good...and the programme was stable ?

I use it and it works well for me also. I have a NAS with my music library on so I have mounted the NAS drive as a shared folder in Volumio using the IP address of the NAS and the access credentials - you can probably do the same with your PC as well? From my Mac I can also see Volume as an Airplay output device, so pretty sure that you can do the same with generic UPnP as well.

The big plus for me about Volumio is the web-based interface that works on any device (and with multiple Volume devices) - there might well be better alternatives like Moode and so on, but I am never gong back to something that requires a dedicated app to operate it.

I have been trying to get volumio on my pi to connect to my wifi for radio stations
if i try to add my wireless password when configuring volumio i loose connection and cant re connect
i can get it to boot without adding the password and volumio seems fine and i can control it from my tablet
but then when i go to settings to enable wifi i loose connection again
I know the pi creates a hot spot to connect to it
doe's that then mean you cant connect it to the internet via wifi because if you do you loose hotspot connection ?
and if so will i have to use Ethernet cable for radio

as for volumio being unstable
i have been using it for 4 days solid
playing flac files on a pen drive and its not missed a beat
well impressed with it

Volumio initially creates a hotspot which means you connect directly to it. When you then enter your wifi password it tries to join your wifi network instead, meaning the it restarts wifi and the hotspot disappears. Sometimes restarting the wifi isn't quite enough and you have to reboot the pi as well, but afterwards it should be visible on the main network and you should be able to connect to it using the address volumio.local without needing the hotspot.

If you can control the pi from your tablet, they must be communicating on wifi?
Next time you are controlling the pi from the tablet go to the settings cog. Then look at 'Network'. What does the Wireless tab report? It should be the name of your wifi ID and the IP address from your router. You do not need the hotspot at all even to get started.

advertisement

Back