advertisement

Voltage clarification. 220 volt into a 240 volt supply

Isobarik

pfm Member
Hi all.
I have a Sony amplifier with a sticker on the back that states 220 volt supply.
I live in the UK which supplies 240 volts.
Will it cause a problem?
I've removed the cover to check the Bias and the DC offset and all is well there.
On the power input board it states it's a UK model?
Totally confused now!

Anyone shed some light on this.
The amp is a Sony TA 700 ES.
Regards
Ray

Sony amps of that era usually came in 220v versions for Europe and 240v versions for the UK.

Many 220v versions sold in the UK come from Germany where they're much more common.

You can normally tell a German one from the sticker on the back.

Post a pic of the label.

I personally wouldn't use a 220v version on a 240v supply. If you have a 220v version you should build a bucking transformer for it to knock the incoming mains voltage down to 220v.

Sony amps of that era usually came in 220v versions for Europe and 240v versions for the UK.

Many 220v versions sold in the UK come from Germany where they're much more common.

You can normally tell a German one from the sticker on the back.

Post a pic of the label.

I personally wouldn't use a 220v version on a 240v supply. If you have a 220v version you should build a bucking transformer for it to knock the incoming mains voltage down to 220v.
Thank you Mike.
I've found this piece on the net Sony TA-F700ES Mid 80's excellence Comparathon - Product Reviews & Opinions - StereoNET the mains input board is exactly the same as the one I own with the exactly the same coloured wiring.
What do you think?
Regards
Ray

The label on the amp in that link is a 220v version for the German market. You can tell by the label. Does your amp have the same label?

The label on the amp in that link is a 220v version for the German market. You can tell by the label. Does your amp have the same label?
Hi Mike.
Yes the label says 220 Volt.
He does mention switching the pink and red wire around will deliver 240 volts.
And like I have said on the power input board inside the amp it does say a UK model.
The transformer is exactly the same as the one shown on StereoNet.
Regards
Ray

OK, on my 770 the transformer doesn't have multiple taps for different mains voltages but it's possible your 700 does.

I will try and find a copy of the service manual and take a look for you.

OK, on my 770 the transformer doesn't have multiple taps for different mains voltages but it's possible your 700 does.

I will try and find a copy of the service manual and take a look for you.
Cheers, Mike.
Thanks for your input.
Regards
Ray

They made the following versions:

AEP 220v only
G-AEP 220v/240v
UK 220/240v
E 120v/220v/240v with a voltage selector switch

The UK and G-AEP models can be configured for either 220v or 240v by switching the red and violet wires on the small power supply outlet PCB that's vertically mounted in the back left hand corner.

It looks to me that for 240v operation the red wire should be in circuit and for 220v operation the violet wire should be in circuit. So for 240v you want the violet wire to be at the left hand edge and the red wire to be next to it one position to the right.

But please check for yourself!!

Are you able to post a photo?

They made the following versions:

AEP 220v only
G-AEP 220v/240v
UK 220/240v
E 120v/220v/240v with a voltage selector switch

The UK and G-AEP models can be configured for either 220v or 240v by switching the red and violet wires on the small power supply outlet PCB that's vertically mounted in the back left hand corner.

It looks to me that for 240v operation the red wire should be in circuit and for 220v operation the violet wire should be in circuit. So for 240v you want the violet wire to be at the left hand edge and the red wire to be next to it one position to the right.

But please check for yourself!!

Are you able to post a photo?

Brilliant! Thank you Mike.
Unfortunately the amp is back in the rack so unable to post photos at this time.
I know it's a pretty heavy beast!
Extremely happy with the amps performance.
I checked all the power supply caps for bulging etc and all was well as far as I can see.
I'll take it out of the rack within the next couple of weeks and check the wiring.
I can just make out the wiring on the small power supply PCB, the red wire is on the left and the violet wire is on the right. So i'll swap them around when I remove it from the rack.
Thanks for you clarification Mike.
If in doubt ask!
Regards
Ray

Have you measured your mains voltage recently? I very much doubt you have over 230V ours normally sits at 216V to 220V

It should be 240V in UK. NOT 230V as even the gov own sites etc say! Pathetically, for political reasons, even the DTI say UK electricity is 230V but it never changed from the 240V its always been... they just changed the tolerance to -6% to +10%, left it at 240V, and called it 230V. As others say above it's more usually a bit high. The guy above with 216 - 220 needs to get the electricity supplier to check things as this is low enough for some items to not run correctly.

Hi to all.
Sorry for my tardy reply.
I'm getting 241V. But no doubt it will drop this evening due to demand.
I'll check it again around 7 this evening but I doubt it will drop that much.
Regards
Ray

In my property and measured over a long period of time 252 volts were constant I am a bit reluctant to say how I dealt with that or what improvements I obtained because the snipers who have not experienced living here are waiting to decry my own experience and chuck rudeness about like it is standard practise. You can from my personal experience considerably improve matters.

I have zero experience of under voltage but plenty experience of a very good and constant supply

Ouch! 252 is enough to cook things early, and saturate transformers readily.

I see 236-239vAC long term average here in BA1.

around here, mains is 242V which drops to 235V when the kiln is on! Not picked up by the hifi, though.

advertisement

Back