advertisement

Voice coil rewinding.

Martyn Miles

pfm Member
A friend has over-driven his PMC DB1s and both bass/mid. drivers are now open circuit.
PMC want £331 for replacements, so I wondered about repair.

Wembley Loudspeakers can’t help.

Audioloudspeakers / DC Boultons said they can repair them for £50 each.

The problem there is that they have some very bad feedback on the Internet.
I seem to recall them being discussed on PFM a while ago.

Josh Seago of DC Boultons assures me all is well now, with a 2 week turnaround.
Has anyone here on PFM had any recent experience?

Finally, does anyone know of a reliable repairer in the UK ?

Have You checked the original drivers voice coils at the cone end of the suspension bridging braid, with them being a transmission line design the drivers can over excurse easily.

They look like Seas to me ,whats the diameter?

Audioloudspeakers / DC Boultons said they can repair them for £50 each.

The problem there is that they have some very bad feedback on the Internet.
I seem to recall them being discussed on PFM a while ago.

Finally, does anyone know of a reliable repairer in the UK ?

The discussion here recently, slated Boultons, including contributions from me. I have junked the speaker that they butchered.
There are no voicecoil repairers in the UK apart from them though.

I used them not so long ago (18/24 months ago) for the repair of a B110 - no problems at all, returned to me in maybe 3 weeks iirc.

You see my dilemma.
Boltons are OK / not OK.
As they’re not my speakers, I can’t take a chance.

It’s rather sad that speaker repairs now come down to Wembley Loudspeakers only.
They can’t do these as ‘they can’t get the parts’, as they told me over the ‘phone.

Many skills are fast disappearing in this country, with no-one being trained to carry on.

...........It’s rather sad that speaker repairs now come down to Wembley Loudspeakers only.
They can’t do these as ‘they can’t get the parts’, as they told me over the ‘phone.......

I am reasonably sure that Wembley have never done rewinding of voice coils. They can rebuild from available component parts, but not more than that. They aren't alone in that field either.

Rewinding of voicecoils is basically very simple - wrap some copper wire around a former and seal it, then reconnect. There are no special parts required, but you do need the skills and kit to do it properly.

How long to strip a speaker, clean-up the former, rewind the voicecoil, seal it, remount everything? I would say at least a day of concentrated effort, with some time in the middle to allow things to dry/cure etc.. And the charge from our friends in E Anglia? £50!!!!!!!

Hi,
It may be worth contacting Volt Loudspeakers - all their units are hand built in the UK.

Wilmslow Audio have a repair page, but you may be able to locate drivers as replacements ?

If all four (4) drivers are open circuit, then £331 is perhaps not such a bad price - but it depends on the drivers i suppose....

Regards,
Shadders.

50 quid for a rewind seems insanely cheap. If they take off one turn, retinsel and solder back then I can see it being financially viable. But to disassemble the speakers, remove cones/spiders manufacture new former and coil and reassemble I cant imagine its possible at that price. Only maybe if they know the units and have pre built coils and formers in stock that were sourced incredibly cheaply.

I assume drive units have been pulled and checked out of crossover?

Given they're 1500 a pair I'd take the punt, at worst he's 100 quid down and claims on insurance.

Only the bass/mid. drivers are open circuit.
I agree that £50 each for a re-wind isn’t expensive, but it’s the reputation of DC Boultons that
concerns me.
I have read, here on PFM, how a pair of drivers were returned in a bad way.
Then again, the B110 was fine.
If they were my speakers I would take a chance with Boultons.

I will contact Volt.
I have their drivers in my PA speakers.

I had a pair of Volt BM220.8 completely rebuilt by Volt and it was cheap and what looked like 2 new drivers when I got them back
Excellent service

Alan

advertisement

Back