• Yes they work for me

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Yes but no sure they do anything

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 21 41.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Obviously in Sheffield we make far less fuss;)
Obviously. "No luv, it's reight thanks, Ah's be reight if Ah kn just sit dahn forra minute, it's probably nowt. Nowt brokken an' 'angin' aht, is the? Ah's be able ter gerrup in a minute, be reight..."

jogger who announced grandly, "I'm a Dr can I help, you probably don't get many medics in S6".
I just looked up S6, it's a leafy suburb and extends to the villages around Bradfield, the Glossop Road and similarly leafy pleasant areas. On that basis I suspect that it is home to quite a few doctors. Certainly more than say Brightside and Hillsborough.

We carted our toddler down to A & E after we thought he may have eaten an excess of vitamin pills after we found an open jar in his vicinity. We were advised he would have to have eaten 2 jars before we should even consider getting concerned. Made me wonder whether they had enough of anything in to make any difference to me. Having since spoken to a real doctor on the subject, he placed them in the same area as yakult style drinks - marginal benefits if you're depleted or unwell, zero benefit if you're fit and healthy and getting a remotely decent diet.

FWIW, best place I've ever broken a leg was Japan.

Obviously. "No luv, it's reight thanks, Ah's be reight if Ah kn just sit dahn forra minute, it's probably nowt. Nowt brokken an' 'angin' aht, is the? Ah's be able ter gerrup in a minute, be reight..."

I just looked up S6, it's a leafy suburb and extends to the villages around Bradfield, the Glossop Road and similarly leafy pleasant areas. On that basis I suspect that it is home to quite a few doctors. Certainly more than say Brightside and Hillsborough.
Hillsborough is in S6, Brightside is S9. Main divider in Sheffield is East & west. SW has more concentrated areas of wealth but NW has a greater mix. The two nicest houses in Sheffield are probably in the NW on Moor Hall Lane/Sunny Bank which overlook a reservoir. They are so nice you would invite someone round who you didn't like...

We carted our toddler down to A & E after we thought he may have eaten an excess of vitamin pills after we found an open jar in his vicinity. We were advised he would have to have eaten 2 jars before we should even consider getting concerned. Made me wonder whether they had enough of anything in to make any difference to me. Having since spoken to a real doctor on the subject, he placed them in the same area as yakult style drinks - marginal benefits if you're depleted or unwell, zero benefit if you're fit and healthy and getting a remotely decent diet.
That's because most vitamins are water soluble and are excreted in urine if consumed in excess. The ones that are oil soluble are A and D and these are toxic in excess. Look up the history of some of the early polar explorers, polar bear liver and "hypervitaminosis A" for what they can do to you in the real world. Vitamin pills only contain one day's requirement, which isn't much. If the bottle has 50 in it, you have to go some to poison yourself. I share your doc's view with the caveat that I have been tested and I was lowish for Vit D so 1p a day, most days, won't hurt me.

Hillsborough is in S6, Brightside is S9. Main divider in Sheffield is East & west. SW has more concentrated areas of wealth but NW has a greater mix. The two nicest houses in Sheffield are probably in the NW on Moor Hall Road.
Well, Hillsborough isn't my favourite bit of Sheffield but Brightside and the delights of the area around Tinsley Viaduct probably have it licked for grimness. As you say everything on the M1 side isn't as nice as the stuff backing onto the Peak. In this it's a bit like Leeds - the leafy suburbs off to the North are very desirable but the roads are awful. East Leeds is mostly best avoided - Harehills, Burmantofts, Halton Moor, I'll pass thanks. The south is where the transport links are but it's bloody hard to find a desirable area. Middleton, Hunslet? No thanks.

They help me when I need all my brains up for a hectic day at work but, I don’t take vitamins daily. And try to change the type of vitamins every now and then.

The ones that are oil soluble are A and D and these are toxic in excess. Look up the history of some of the early polar explorers, polar bear liver and "hypervitaminosis A" for what they can do to you in the real world. .

Or, indeed, Husky Liver - a tale I thought I'd imagined until I googled it recently.

Good to know. I think the ones the boy found were one-a-day multivitamins.

FWIW, best place I've ever broken a leg was Japan.

I was in Glasgow Royal Infirmary visiting someone about 20 years ago and was wearing a pair of leather soled shoes when I skidded at at the foot of the stairs on a polished floor. A charming, older lady consultant was right in front of me, about to go up the stairs and caught me under the elbow as I tipped back. With true Glasgow wit, she said “look!, you're in the right place, dear”, pointing at the entrance marked “Fracture Clinic”.

Well, Hillsborough isn't my favourite bit of Sheffield but Brightside and the delights of the area around Tinsley Viaduct probably have it licked for grimness. As you say everything on the M1 side isn't as nice as the stuff backing onto the Peak. In this it's a bit like Leeds - the leafy suburbs off to the North are very desirable but the roads are awful. East Leeds is mostly best avoided - Harehills, Burmantofts, Halton Moor, I'll pass thanks. The south is where the transport links are but it's bloody hard to find a desirable area. Middleton, Hunslet? No thanks.
Hillsborough is quite mixed but some very nice houses near the park, it is a very safe area though, I lived in a terrace as a student & even the rougher pubs were perfectly OK.
I know Leeds a bit, Hunslet, Middleton not nice but Chappel Allerton, Roundhay etc. They have made some odd decision re the red light tolerance zone in Holbeck which has really blighted a residential area

Hillsborough is quite mixed but some very nice houses near the park, it is a very safe area though, I lived in a terrace as a student & even the rougher pubs were perfectly OK.
I know Leeds a bit, Hunslet, Middleton not nice but Chappel Allerton, Roundhay etc. They have made some odd decision re the red light tolerance zone in Holbeck which has really blighted a residential area
Chap Al is the Hampstead of Leeds. Roundhay too. I stay away from Holbeck, it's not a great area and I don't think the red light area has helped. That said it has reduced the number of girls you see on the street in the areas just outside the centre, so it may have worked in that regard.

Chap Al is the Hampstead of Leeds. Roundhay too. I stay away from Holbeck, it's not a great area and I don't think the red light area has helped. That said it has reduced the number of girls you see on the street in the areas just outside the centre, so it may have worked in that regard.
Some bits of Holbeck have been regenerated, a few agencies & tech companies that I visit on business. Midnight Bell is a decent boozer. Drove through the residential bit following a diversion & there was quite a bit of police tape knocking around.

Some intersting information on this YouTube VT i came across the other day, especially on which foods help to boost productivity of those hormones that maybe lacking

ATB

Gingerbeard

I'm looking to get some quality high dose vitamin d3 and c and want to avoid being sold something inferior as I know it's a sector that's full of twaddle

Can anyone recommend a decent source?

I take a multivitamin plus mineral tablet when I remember. Sanatogen vital 50+. Probably not required, but can't do any harm. And echinacea tincture when I worry about getting a cold or flu.

I'm looking to get some quality high dose vitamin d3 and c and want to avoid being sold something inferior as I know it's a sector that's full of twaddle

Vitamin C is just ascorbic acid. It's dirt cheap and water soluble, so use what you like. The excess will be excreted in your urine, or possibly metabolised via acetyl CoA and the TCA cycle. Fill your boots, it's just a basic chemical. Or acidic, for the chemists here, ho ho.
Vitamin D is toxic in excess so be careful. It's sunny and we are sitting about, I suggest you get some sunlight on some exposed skin. For white skinned people and UK sunshine half an hour a day in short sleeves is reckoned to be enough. People of Asian or Afro-Caribbean descent need more sunlight and supplements are recommended for the UK Asian population in winter at least.

I take a multivitamin plus mineral tablet when I remember. Sanatogen vital 50+. Probably not required, but can't do any harm.
That's my view. The stuff in the supermarkets costs next to nothing, and it has to contain what it says on the tin.

People of Asian or Afro-Caribbean descent need more sunlight and supplements are recommended for the UK Asian population in winter at least.

never heard that about Afro-Caribbean, but certainly about S Asian people. That said, I have always been led to believe that that is down to their more modest way of dressing - they show rather little flesh, certainly until recent generations but only especially in communities where modesty is not a requirement.

If it were true of Afro-Caribbean people, it would also be true of Africans in northern climes, which I am pretty sure it isn't.

I have read numerous suggestions for exposure to sunshine to get your daily dose of Vit D, and they vary enormously. Bottom line - you need to expose surprisingly little skin for a surprisingly short time, to get your daily dose, even in winter - if it were not so all us Brits would have problems come winter.

Vitamin A is also toxic in excess, as are others, I am pretty sure.

Thankfully my pescatarian diet includes plenty of vit c, so those tablets are unnecessary for me. As with every other ‘supplement’.

Vitamin C is just ascorbic acid. It's dirt cheap and water soluble, so use what you like. The excess will be excreted in your urine, or possibly metabolised via acetyl CoA and the TCA cycle. Fill your boots, it's just a basic chemical. Or acidic, for the chemists here, ho ho.
Vitamin D is toxic in excess so be careful. It's sunny and we are sitting about, I suggest you get some sunlight on some exposed skin. For white skinned people and UK sunshine half an hour a day in short sleeves is reckoned to be enough. People of Asian or Afro-Caribbean descent need more sunlight and supplements are recommended for the UK Asian population in winter at least.
Thanks Steve, I'm treading carefully here and taking advice from trusted sources, yourself included. I've been reading a fair bit on covid but also communicating with two friends, one a doctor, another a longstanding journalist for the bmj, and acting on their advice.

They both advocate vit c ( apparently there are three ways of making this stuff and one is better than the other two? - this comes from my investigations, not theirs and admittedly sounds a bit fishy) they also advocate iron supplements and high doses of d3 ( provided kidneys are in good shape etc). I've taken high doses of d before during autumn and winter but can't remember what I used or where I bought it.

I'm normally cautious about supplements and aware of the BS that surrounds much of it and am keen to steer a careful path through this by relying on knowledgeable sources.

GP has recommended vit D3 for me for the last couple of years because blood tests showed I’m a bit low. Best source I found was costco. Just checked and whilst they are doing some groceries on line this isn’t one of them so it would mean a trip to your nearest warehouse

advertisement

Back