• Yes they work for me

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Yes but no sure they do anything

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 21 41.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I take a supplement supposed to help Prostate health. Wellman Prostace. As it happens I have zero prostate problems - at 62 I never have to get up in the night. But my father died of prostate cancer at the age of 56, so a degree of caution on my part is understandable. The concoction I take has a long list of vitamins which i guess are not really needed - but there is included a list of all the nutritional supplements that are supposed to improve Prostate function and health - stuff like Pumpkin seeds, cooked tomato extract, selenium and so on.

It may doing nothing - but it gives me some reassurance. I have been taking these daily for a good number of years now (8? not sure). Amazon regular delivery is a good system.

Reactions: BJP
I do not stop drinking at 6pm. Sometimes have a beer or a whisky during the evening. Mind you I rarely go to bed before 11:30 - up at 6:15 weekdays. I have a couple of pints on a Sunday evening from 9 to 10:30.

Reactions: BJP
Yes, I have a friend who is a consultant & he suggested it. I am a pretty regular cyclist, about 8000 miles a year so don't really have time for other sports, I didn't do much impact excercise. I went over on black ice, very low speed so hip took full weight rather than a more typical slide which would take away some of the force. I definitely let my fitness go between late 20s & 30s so I probably don't have your core strength.

There is a school of thought that such tests are for the worried well, I may always have had this problem. Not sure the knowledge of my condition is making me any happier, probably the opposite.

Cycling is great exercise, but there's increasing evidence it is not good for bone density if done to excess. Lack of impact and excessive sweating out of minerals is a bad combination. Trading some of the cycling for jogging might be a good move plus lifting weights once or twice a week (I know I hate gyms too).

Regarding bone density testing - I think before doing it you have to ask yourself if you'd be prepared to take the drugs they prescribe for low bone density, which I believe are not without problems themselves.

Regarding falls on ice I had a nasty spill last year and was lucky to not break my wrist and/or collarbone. Hip fracture also occured to me to be a risk of winter cycling so I bought a set of these

https://g-form.com/bike-short-men-elite-1050

They're not quite as comfy as normal shorts, and a little sweaty (but then it is cold when I'm wearing them), but I feel a bit more protected. Over here (USA) a hip fracture would likely cost me over $10k out of pocket besides the pain and hassle.

I do not stop drinking at 6pm. Sometimes have a beer or a whisky during the evening. Mind you I rarely go to bed before 11:30 - up at 6:15 weekdays. I have a couple of pints on a Sunday evening from 9 to 10:30.

To some that consumption is stopping at 6pm!

Cycling is great exercise, but there's increasing evidence it is not good for bone density if done to excess. Lack of impact and excessive sweating out of minerals is a bad combination. Trading some of the cycling for jogging might be a good move plus lifting weights once or twice a week (I know I hate gyms too).

Regarding bone density testing - I think before doing it you have to ask yourself if you'd be prepared to take the drugs they prescribe for low bone density, which I believe are not without problems themselves.

Regarding falls on ice I had a nasty spill last year and was lucky to not break my wrist and/or collarbone. Hip fracture also occured to me to be a risk of winter cycling so I bought a set of these

They're not quite as comfy as normal shorts, and a little sweaty (but then it is cold when I'm wearing them), but I feel a bit more protected. Over here (USA) a hip fracture would likely cost me over $10k out of pocket besides the pain and hassle.
Jogging is not an option for me, I still get hip pain & I have a dodgy knee. Cycling isn't bad for bone density per se but keen cyclists often don't have time for other exercises so generally do less impact work.

The side effects of bone density drugs include potential loosening of gums & random femur fractures. The above symptoms are rare but that is no consolation if you lose your teeth.

Yes, I have a friend who is a consultant & he suggested it. I am a pretty regular cyclist, about 8000 miles a year so don't really have time for other sports, I didn't do much impact excercise. I went over on black ice, very low speed so hip took full weight rather than a more typical slide which would take away some of the force. I definitely let my fitness go between late 20s & 30s so I probably don't have your core strength.

There is a school of thought that such tests are for the worried well, I may always have had this problem. Not sure the knowledge of my condition is making me any happier, probably the opposite.

Oh man, I feel your pain. Funny in skating they say low speed kills. I was watching for traffic while rolling over very familiar area so didn't think twice when my front wheel got caught in a rut. Like you all the weight went on the hip before I could get my hands down. Wasn't going hugely fast. Had I been I likely would have just bumped over it. I must say that it was truly the most agonIsing pain I've ever felt! I don't have any pain now and I've fallen on my wrists numerous times without a break though I do now wear wrist guards. Doc says the fall was freak. I've a mind to just forget about it and drive on but a part of me thinks it best to know because if I'm doing something wrong in my diet that precludes me from getting encough of the nutrients needed for strong bones I should know so I can do something about it!

Use the same ones but by Burton which have a bit more padding on the back for snowboards. Really like them as I can wear them under pretty much every pair of jeans I own.

Oh man, I feel your pain. Funny in skating they say low speed kills. I was watching for traffic while rolling over very familiar area so didn't think twice when my front wheel got caught in a rut. Like you all the weight went on the hip before I could get my hands down. Wasn't going hugely fast. Had I been I likely would have just bumped over it. I must say that it was truly the most agonIsing pain I've ever felt! I don't have any pain now and I've fallen on my wrists numerous times without a break though I do now wear wrist guards. Doc says the fall was freak. I've a mind to just forget about it and drive on but a part of me thinks it best to know because if I'm doing something wrong in my diet that precludes me from getting encough of the nutrients needed for strong bones I should know so I can do something about it!
Actual pain post fall wasn't that bad, I tried to stand up & realised I couldn't move. Laid in road for about an hour waiting for an ambulance!

Since my last treatment in Hospital,I now have zero appetite so have to drink four Ensure plus daily,Doctor advised me that these will give me all the nutrition I need.

Since my last treatment in Hospital,I now have zero appetite so have to drink four Ensure plus daily,Doctor advised me that these will give me all the nutrition I need.
That sounds grim, I hope you recover your appetite soon. A relative of mine was taking the ones that you make up with milk, like you he had a depressed appetite so the milkshakes were a palatable means of getting calories into him and ticking the boxes for basic nutrition.

Actual pain post fall wasn't that bad, I tried to stand up & realised I couldn't move. Laid in road for about an hour waiting for an ambulance!
When I tried to move it was like 10k knives stabbling me in the hip. Was so bad I nearly vomited any time I tried to move. I had no phone on me and I too was laying in the road and cars were going by me like it's nothing unusual to see someone laying nearly in the middle....was about 31 that day and I started to feel faint and starting wondering I was was bleeding internally (I ended up with a femoral neck fracture which can sometimes tear the vein). After about 25 mins a young kid and his girlfriend turned around and asked if I was OK. Got them to get my wife and then waited another 30 or so for an ambulance.

I broke both ankles together two years ago on rocks . I lay there alternating between swearing my head off and crying, waiting for the ambulance. A woman came over and offered me a fag which I thought was kind. She must have watched those old WW2 films. I always thought ‘it’s other people who break bones, not me’ and I didn’t quite appreciate how painful it was or for how long! I pitied those in the days before opiates- they must have left them on hay for weeks with a steady supply of strong liquor.

When I tried to move it was like 10k knives stabbling me in the hip. Was so bad I nearly vomited any time I tried to move. I had no phone on me and I too was laying in the road and cars were going by me like it's nothing unusual to see someone laying nearly in the middle....was about 31 that day and I started to feel faint and starting wondering I was was bleeding internally (I ended up with a femoral neck fracture which can sometimes tear the vein). After about 25 mins a young kid and his girlfriend turned around and asked if I was OK. Got them to get my wife and then waited another 30 or so for an ambulance.
Wow!
Obviously in Sheffield we make far less fuss;)
Funnily enough a car passing at the junction of the road saw it happen, stopped & looked after me. The guy even called round to see me a few weeks later. Thankfully the women at the bottom of the road was a Dr, if she hadn't phoned the ambulance with her professional opinion I would probably have been in the road longer.
I remember getting a bit pissy with with a passing jogger who announced grandly, "I'm a Dr can I help, you probably don't get many medics in S6", I replied, "this is S35 & you're the 3rd Dr I've seen in the last 20 minutes". Postcodes are very important in Sheffield ;). Recovery period was really rough, probably as bad a time as I can remember.

painful, I have broken my left ankle twice, dislocated it once, and broken my right one once.
Let's not get into broken bone waving...

Actually, while my tally is pretty comprehensive, the motorcyclists here have me beat. Especially Cereal Killer, iirc he stepped off a motorcycle at some considerable speed and woke up some time later in hospital with more breaks than a Kit Kat factory.

I broke both ankles together two years ago on rocks . I lay there alternating between swearing my head off and crying, waiting for the ambulance. A woman came over and offered me a fag which I thought was kind. She must have watched those old WW2 films. I always thought ‘it’s other people who break bones, not me’ and I didn’t quite appreciate how painful it was or for how long! I pitied those in the days before opiates- they must have left them on hay for weeks with a steady supply of strong liquor.

Sorry, could not resist.

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_X6NfeBCdE

Must have been mighty painful though

Bloss

advertisement

Back