advertisement

Virtual Dynamics Master Seried 3 Speaker Cable

wicky

pfm Member
Hi all

Been offered some of the above - any comments on if its mega cable - mate told me it had a list price of £2,000 new (Yikes)...but would like some more views please

Thanks

I would suggest doing a search on here although I don't think virtual dynamics are highly regarded on this site .......

I'm not sure and apologies to anyone if I'm wrong but I haven't seen Virtual Dynamics advertising
for a while now and I can't find them on the web so they might have gone out of business.

Yeh - I think they did go pop....but just wondering if anyone had any experience of said cable ?

Most high end cable sales (even more than components) are driven by advertising and reviews. If the manufacturer has gone bust and therefore the hype machine has stopped, you might have some difficulty moving them if you don't like what they do in your system. Isn't a demo/loan possible at all?

VD had a mains cable that they dished out free as a promo. A few of us on here got one, a big stiff affair that a few christened "The Rhino Whip". Essentially you need components that weigh several tons and can tolerate the fact that the cable won't bend behind components. I don't know anout their speaker cables but unless the stuff is coming to you for loose change (£2000? Come on!) then I'd audition it and compare it to other stuff before you hand over the cash. I'm pretty confident that at £2000 I could match its performance in any domestic room and pocket £1950 or better, but if you like it then it's your money.

They went pop after sending out lots of demo cables that were priced out a few hundred bucks, middle range stuff, a few people cut them open and found it to be little more than bog standard thick copper wire, in a hosepipe, filled with iron filings and sealed with lots of heat-shrink. After this they kind of collapsed.

I'd suggest anything they make is at best worth its weight in copper and no more

Ooh, I dunno SQ, iron filings come in about £100 a tonne, more if clean, just now. Actually I still have the Rhino Whip lurking behind the sofa. In the absence of any other use, I may punt it out to one of our more alternayive members for one of their S&M parties. Well, they have to keep warm somehow in this weather.:p

That would be nice indeed. I wonder if the whole freebie thing was a key part of their unravelling. If I get a superduper cable for free, that's how I value it and I have no compunction about dismantling it and saying "this is nothing clever". Compare this with the latest superfoo cable, with vacuum packed antimicrophonic shock absorbers and cryotreated whale noise immersed connectors, if I have handed over 400 notes of my own money then I have 400 good reasons not to butcher that. The magic stays intact and it becomes a matter of faith that it really does work.

advertisement

Back