advertisement

VirginMedia discount

colinp

pfm Member
In a bid to save a bit of money I asked VM about reducing my 200Mb broadband to 100Mb. Good news, there's a package with more TV channels (that we'll never watch)
giving us a saving of £15 (from 71 to 56).

When I get the contract I see that, at the end of the 18 month contract, it'll go up to £77. So I've actually been moved to a more expensive package that's been discounted!

I'll make sure to review the Vodafone FTTP alternative in 18 months time.

friend looking at vodafone vs virgin. i just got the virgin 4 hub , unlimited calls , O2 sim with 5gb it and megafast internet for 61 per month . seems good to me . yes in 18months it will go up but you just negotiate cheaper contract . i helped another friend get virgin nlimited calls , tv box [ not used but you get better deals with it added] 100 mb broadband for 37 a month

ha i think its called
Gig1 Fibre

certainly my son was amazed at the speed when he checked it on a visit yesterday

Do you need it?
Virgin 50 mb with weekend calls for a negotiated £26 a month here.
Serves my purposes.

Currently complaining vis their community website about my 18 month package @£38 started last August being changed to £42 p.mth. Anytime calls, Tivo box and 100 meg bb (far too much for us). Just got a postal invitation from Sky for virtually (?) the same package for 18 mths and guaranteed not to change during the term, for £25 a mth.

This whole media pricing thing is increasingly annoying, time-consuming and illogical.

Currently complaining vis their community website about my 18 month package @£38 started last August being changed to £42 p.mth. Anytime calls, Tivo box and 100 meg bb (far too much for us). Just got a postal invitation from Sky for virtually (?) the same package for 18 mths and guaranteed not to change during the term, for £25 a mth.

This whole media pricing thing is increasingly annoying, time-consuming and illogical.

They cannot change the pricing on your 18 month contract whatsoever, they can only charge more once your minimum contract period is up.

Unfortunately, if you sign a contract that includes a clause that states each year the price will rise by RPI +inflation, then in contract price rises will occur.

Unfortunately, if you sign a contract that includes a clause that states each year the price will rise by RPI +inflation, then in contract price rises will occur.

my recent information is that VM don't do that. But they can put prices up if they offer a get out (leave).

VM cannot increase charges in a mimimum contract timescale.

Glad to see the back of virgin meejah.

So far the Vodafone £18 a month deal is working very well. Everything works in all rooms. No buffering. Not noticed any slowness in internet functionality. The Wife is running her Zoom calls with no problem. Netflix etc. all gravy.
I am unable to see any reason to require super fast internet access unless I was playing Quake Live all day long.

My contract states: We may increase our charges under this agreement at any time. We may also change these terms and conditions and the services that we have agreed to provide to you.
I interpret this as they can raise charges. They will allow you to cancel without penalty if you wish. My sky and BT contracts are the same and also go up every year.

In a bid to save a bit of money I asked VM about reducing my 200Mb broadband to 100Mb. Good news, there's a package with more TV channels (that we'll never watch)
giving us a saving of £15 (from 71 to 56).

When I get the contract I see that, at the end of the 18 month contract, it'll go up to £77. So I've actually been moved to a more expensive package that's been discounted!

I'll make sure to review the Vodafone FTTP alternative in 18 months time.
Jesus. I get more call time than I can eat and 900 MBit/s broadband from bt for £65 a month and freesat for, well, free. I could possibly save a fiver with plusnet when we come to change.

they can and do

They cannot increase prices in the minimum contract period whatsoever. They can either attempt to do so & you leave but if you insist that they do not & cannot then they are obliged to offset the increase with an account credit for the remainder of your minimum contract.

Been there & done it via the omsbudsman who ruled against VM.

My contract states: We may increase our charges under this agreement at any time. We may also change these terms and conditions and the services that we have agreed to provide to you.
I interpret this as they can raise charges. They will allow you to cancel without penalty if you wish. My sky and BT contracts are the same and also go up every year.

Then you need to challenge it if you have a signed minimum contract period at a set price agreed between you & your provider..

Only after the minimum period of your contract.

I think we are saying the same thing; they can attempt to increase it, but you don’t have to accept and can cancel without penalty. My guess is most people don’t cancel…

I think we are saying the same thing; they can attempt to increase it, but you don’t have to accept and can cancel without penalty. My guess is most people don’t cancel…

They should not be changing the price at all, even attempting it, during a minimum contract period, but they probably chance their arm on it with customers.

Only after the minimum period of your contract.

There seems to be two opposing views here over whether it's lawful or not when applicable to V M. I've just had a badly written flannell reply from their community chap, suggesting I phone. I'd already told them I'd tried twice and failed to get through. I can't understand why a password is needed before getting through; anyway, my correct one was not accepted. It's murder when I have got through in the past, trying to interpret a thick Indonesian accent for an hour and being hard of hearing.

I shall persist via the community, as it resolved a few problems eventually last time, though I think it may have been their getting fed up with my emails using language they didn't understand !;) I'm clear about, and agree with you, that morally at least, a contract is a contract and cannot be varied unless specifically mentioned as a variable rate similarly to cash investments and energy prices.

advertisement

Back