Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Virgin Media

Discussion in 'off topic' started by zener, Aug 20, 2012.

1. zener

zener fluff

Superb ...until you start to shut off parts of your service , then they are absolutely useless . You get a bill for the the things you've cancelled , you phone them and sort it out , but they still bill your direct debit for the the things you cancelled. The things I cancelled ...all their TV service , I went free view as I dont watch TV. I was disputing the bill via e-mail and this morning I got cut off ...cants. I paid the said bill and phoned them , bye , i said ... the rest was as boring as this thead probably is :)..... one thing though... India call centre when its OK , UK call centre when its going bad .

2. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

I ended my TV subscription. They seemed bewildered that anyone would be happy with Freeview! Mind you their superhub is utter, utter crap. Got one off them. It's in the loft tried and rejected.

3. tqineil

tqineil Ubi fides ibi lux et robur

What did you replace it with Bob, mine is always playing up?

4. lsinclair

lsinclair pfm Member

I changed from Virgin to another ISP. Despite the agreed switchover date being three weeks later Virgin pulled the plug immediately. Bastards. Fortunately the new ISP was so incensed by this behaviour that they credited my new account with enough to buy a Vodafone dongle and a month's internet access. I won't name them in case it sounds like an ad but I thought it was impressive customer service.

5. Bob McC

I actually went back to the archaic NTL modem and Zoom router I've had since year dot! The superhub couldn't connect anything wirelessly - my printer, my Squeezebox and the Virgin forum confirmed it wasn't me doing anything stupid, it was their useless piece of cack. Virgin keep promising a firmware upgrade but I've seen another comment that there won't be one anytime soon if ever, so I gave up.

6. garyi

garyi leave blank

Have found virgin superb and guess like all isps wholey dependant on where you live.

Regards the superdud, mines in modem only mode with a decent router attached.

7. Bob McC

as far as tinternet when it's good it's very good but they do have occasional days when it's like dial up for a few hours.

8. tqineil

is that configuration easy enough to set up garyi?

9. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

They are a F**kin nighmare, I took out an internet only contract with them because I didn't need/want a bt landline, all good for a few months then they phoned me up and twisted my arm to have the tv and phone for an extra £4 a month.
    I questioned all the costs, asked if I would be billed for line rental, if the offer would expire and I would start recieving larger bills later ect and was told "no sir, this offer is ongoing and all you will pay is £23.99 per month" so I took the deal thinking a phone might be usefull to find my mobile when I'm rushing around in the morning looking for it Low and behold I suddenly realised when looking through a bank statement that they are in fact charging me £39 a month.
    I called them up and questioned them about it and was told that the offer was for a limited time and that I should have known, I told them about the sales pitch I was given, they were'nt really interested and told me that if I have a complaint to email them for a listen in on the original call, so far i'm still waiting to hear anything back and i'm still being overcharged, put simply they are robbing bastards but I need my internet connection.

10. banjoman

banjoman pfm Member

Virgin has the patchiest network in the country - a hotchpotch of many different cable networks inherited and pieced together
    While they have been upgrading their network, they still have fundamental issues. You can get great service on one street and terrible or no service in the street next to it.
    Their marketing is impressive but their actual network delivery and quality can be hit and miss

11. Rowan

Rowan I could sleep for England

I've found Virgin fairly reliable over the years but the last few days have had difficulty with my broadband connection. It's not working at the moment. I typed this on my 3G iPad.

12. garyi

garyi leave blank

Tquniel, its very essy there is an option in the settings for modem only flick that on.

Then you want a router of some kind, if its an adsl router you need to go into the settings and turn it to router only.

13. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Booyakashah, check out my avatar...

I'm with Virgin and TBH, although they have some bad days, all I have to do is think of the pile of c**p that came before; NTLWorld.

14. Sid and Coke

Sid and Coke and so the rebuild continues..

I had Virgin cable everything last year and thought it was great. i now live out in the sticks at the end of a 6Km telephone spur and get everything supplied by Sky.
    Going from Virgin 10meg fibre optic BB to <1meg has been so painful i could have cried....
    I wish i still had my Virgin Broadband service.

15. tqineil

Thanks garyi, I've recently had a free 'uprade' to their 100 Mb service and don't get near that tbh, there are occasions whenthe stability for wifi is dodgy too.

16. garyi

garyi leave blank

I see around 85 down consistently but am still waiting for the upload to be improved.

The superturd is not going to be helping in that regard, I don't know how virgin and netgear managed to get it so wrong.

17. tqineil

So I just switch to modem mode by visiting hub ip address & advanced settings and then plug another router into the back of the SH to deal with the wifi? Any recommendations re. second router?