advertisement

Virgin media router non functioning

docstocker

pfm Member
Some help please
Virgin cable router has packed up
No lights coming on

Is it possible to substitute a different router bought over the counter
What else would I have to do to make this work?

The internet had begun to crawl and I was trying to do some work from home
(I.e. Read the newspaper, browse hi-if websites,the usual suspects .

I followed virgin media online suggestion that there might be a fault which they were working on and to restart all kit. When I did so router stayed inactive.

Have managed to get work done by tethering iPhone

Thanks for any help
John

Have you tried the power supply wallwart? which is what failed when my VM cable router "packed in".......

If it is the unit itself, then you'll need VM to replace it. The unit contains both functions for cable modem and router (although I don't use mine as a router as it is rubbish).

As above, you need to obtain a new router. I have the lastest Virgin superhub (superhub 3?), the white one. My previous superhub was a load of crap and then failed completely, thus latest one is way, way better.

Phone Virgin and they can check the status of your router immediately.
If it's faulty they will know and get a new one to you.

Mine died recently and they replaced it for a better one, it needed a stronger Wi-Fi password then I had been using, which was a line from a Johanna Newsome song, its idea of a strong password was my name with number 1 on the end!

Pete

Another vote for the wallwart. They are pretty standard so the odds are you have something suitable somewhere in the house.

As mentioned, they are owned by Virgin so they will replace for you. I am going through the process of setting mine to modem only mode and have purchased a new Router to take over that role.

We've just gone through the same process - Virgin couldn't have been more helpful with us, although I appreciate not everyone has the same experience. We now have the Superhub 3 (in black!) which is better, an upgrade to 200Mbs, a loyalty discount and a lower monthly payment. I would guess it's a competitive market out there

We've just gone through the same process - Virgin couldn't have been more helpful with us, although I appreciate not everyone has the same experience. We now have the Superhub 3 (in black!) which is better, an upgrade to 200Mbs, a loyalty discount and a lower monthly payment. I would guess it's a competitive market out there

very similar to us. if anyone has their cable TV service, keep your eyes peeled, as rumour has it VM will be announcing a new TiVo box tomorrow to rival Sky Q and a significant upgrade on the existing TiVo offering.

Use a linear PSU for the superhub and you'll get an increase in headroom and bandwidth.

Even your wife will notice how much better Netflix is from the next room.

yes I had years of appalling service with talk talk superfibre , virgin have been marvellous , so refreshing

Well I spoke to a delightful gentleman in India. The Engineer is visiting on Friday.
However I poked about behind the cupboard within which the TV sits and plugged the wall wart into a couple of other sockets and suddenly I had power again. A little bit worried bout fire risk so I am going to unplug it again.
Checked my download speeds and still very slow, About 36mb/s at 16.00 today and then tonight at 20.00 26mb/s. We are paying for a 152mb/s service so I hope the engineer can sort something out.
is there a speed checker that can be recommended?. Get very variable results from some of them. OOKLA seemed most repeatable.
I shall now go looking for linear psu and I am looking to change the hub to modem only and use my time capsule as the wi fi router.(once the engineer has been and I will ask him about the new TIVO box at the same time)
Thanks again to everyone for their help and advice.

John

Just let them replace the router, if its toast then anything could be causing the issue.

You probably get an Superhub2AC or the 3.

Have had Virgin for some years. If I've got this right it was they who supplied a 'Scientific Atlanta' Modem which has not given any trouble. We also have an ancient Belkin router. Also gives no trouble.

But it has been suggested to me that I should request Virgin send me their 'Superhub' thingy. At least I'd need one less 'wallwart'.

Mull

Engineer visited today.Left a new superb with Docsis (whatever that is?).
Told me that in my area there are three sites where cannot obtain advertised broadband speeds as infrastructure not up to it and will be upgraded in late January.
Tonight at 21.00 getting 33mb/s when I am paying for a 152mb/s package.
I accept have been a bit slow to look into this. Like most people only complain when can make a cup of tea in the time it takes for a page to load.
I am wondering if I should be seeking recompense from Virgin? Should I be contacting OFCOM? Should I be asking how long his has been going on for?
Virgin make much in their advertising of giving at least 80% of advertised maximum at all times (small print small print etc etc)
John

Engineer visited today.Left a new superb with Docsis (whatever that is?).
Told me that in my area there are three sites where cannot obtain advertised broadband speeds as infrastructure not up to it and will be upgraded in late January.
Tonight at 21.00 getting 33mb/s when I am paying for a 152mb/s package.
I accept have been a bit slow to look into this. Like most people only complain when can make a cup of tea in the time it takes for a page to load.
I am wondering if I should be seeking recompense from Virgin? Should I be contacting OFCOM? Should I be asking how long his has been going on for?
Virgin make much in their advertising of giving at least 80% of advertised maximum at all times (small print small print etc etc)
John

They'll have their advertising watertight when it comes to legal action.
After all
They never promised you a rose garden.

advertisement

Back