advertisement

Virgin Fibre Phone

Alex S

carbon based lifeform
Got this from Virgin today: "On 14 June your current home phone service will stop working and be switched over to our fibre network. We will send you an adapter in the post which you’ll need to use to connect your home phone to your WiFi Hub so you can make and receive phone calls over our fibre network."

So basically I have to plug my landline into the upstairs bedroom (the only place Virgin agreed to put the modem despite a lengthy discussion/rant/threat/plead) where I don't want it, or not have a landline at all. Great. I guess it could be my chance to force them to put the modem where I want it.

Got this from Virgin today: "On 14 June your current home phone service will stop working and be switched over to our fibre network. We will send you an adapter in the post which you’ll need to use to connect your home phone to your WiFi Hub so you can make and receive phone calls over our fibre network."

So basically I have to plug my landline into the upstairs bedroom (the only place Virgin agreed to put the modem despite a lengthy discussion/rant/threat/plead) where I don't want it, or not have a landline at all. Great. I guess it could be my chance to force them to put the modem where I want it.

Naw just buy a dect phone including base station and plug the base station into the adapter where the router is then use the phone wherever you want it.

I have this exact set up except my ‘phone line’ is a VoIP service the adapter converts digital signals to analogue signals so that you can use a ‘normal’ phone from a broadband service.

A decent dect phone and base station are about £45 unless you have one then there’s no need to buy a new setup.

I’d just started researching this, as Virgin are switching us in May. With existing phone this means we won’t then have a working phone upstairs, so thanks twotone, dect it is.

Nonetheless, like Mike Reed and others, I don’t want a base station. or even a phone, in the upstairs bedroom where the hub is. I want it in the living room where it is now.

Been there, got the tee shirt. I had a thread on here recently and I guess you saw it, Alex. Not sure I put the outcome on it though. After the initial VM visit to install the hub 4 (bloody great, juice-eating thing which lights up the office), a fortnight later two technicians (one junior, one senior who came to help) spent 3 hours connecting my office hub upstairs to my original socket in the living room. Actually, to the outside box with the phone connections, not the actual socket.

The junior connected the wrong wire and they finished the job with a torch at 2100 hours. My answerphone/base st'n is now where it was, but what a palaver.. My dinner was an hour late, 2 tech oiks up and down the stairs trying to troubleshoot. Buggered up my day ! All for fibre, yet ALL connections to the pavement cab. outside my house are still copper, incl. the new cable and the one to the hub.'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' doesn't apply with supposed technological progress (sorry, the should be regress !) :mad:

Whatever you want Alex, get the tech's to do it and you have the right (I was informed over their forum and by letter(?)) to have them restore the status quo ante.

I’m practicing deep breathing, yoga, meditation and especially karate in preparation.

Alex, if you have a telephone socket already installed in the bedroom as part of the house phone wiring, they just need to connect a Virgin phone cable into that from the hub.

Otherwise they must do a cable install from bedroom to downstairs to continue your current service.

So basically I have to plug my landline into the upstairs bedroom (the only place Virgin agreed to put the modem

Why only there, Alex? Is this where you have your desk-top? Regardless, as I've said, they need to replicate your situation as is.

Otherwise they must do a cable install from bedroom to downstairs to continue your current service.

No prob. with that, only it goes to the outside box as the original phone cables stay connected to there.

Most modern homes appear to be fitted with telephone sockets in many rooms.
If that is the case for the op then things may be simpler.

Virgin can supply and fit a cable to connect to the nearest socket.

I confused the installer guy by offering a longer rj11 telephone cable that was a spare.

Standard rj11 telephone leads don't work because it needs to be a cross over.
So I unwittingly wasted his time with that before we realised that my rj11 lead wouldn't work.

advertisement

Back