advertisement

VinylMePlease Blue Note 80th Anniversary Anthology

Another Blue Note 80th Anniversary set.

https://anthology.vinylmeplease.com/

$240 + $50 shipping seems a lot for 6 LPs when you don't actually know what they'll be. But all 1000 subs have sold out so what do I know!

I do wonder who is buying these kinds of products though... jazz nuts with money to burn who don't care if they end up with doubles of records they already have or people new to jazz (with money to burn) who don't have many Blue Notes.

That said, it does look nice.

Shall we have a guess?! The first two are clearly Horace Silver Trio and Dexter Calling (I’ve got both).

I’ll go with:

‘Soul jazz’ Donald Byrd - Black Byrd.
‘Post bop’ Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch.
‘Fusion’
‘Modern’ Norah Jones - Come Away With Me or maybe a curve ball like GoGo Penguin.

I’m really struggling with ‘fusion’ as I don’t associate Blue Note with it at all! I can’t bring to mind a single fusion album on the label!

I'm a bit vague when it comes to what counts as fusion (or jazz-rock or jazz-funk) but Eddie Henderson - Sunburst could fit the bill perhaps. Very much in the vein of mid-seventies electric MIles.

Does anything good come out of 'fusion'.

For years I’d written it off as aimless muso noodling and best avoided. That was until I’d discovered Miles Davis output from In A Silent Way right through to Agharta & Pangea, plus Herbie Hancock’s Warners output, the first Weather Report album, George Dukes Aura etc. When its done right it is amazing and as good as any other form of jazz. Much of Miles’ output has far more to what I’d have described as Krautrock to my ears as what my mental image of ‘fusion’. Wonderful viscerally funky stuff that is allowed all the space it needs to stretch out.

PS My image of ‘fusion’ back in the ‘80s was the sort of stuff Flat Response, HiFi Review etc seemed to love, all DX7s, gated drums, sax through digital reverb, just horrible to my ears! Stuff that sounded like the theme to US cop shows where people wore shiny white suits and shoulder pads. It has nothing even remotely to do with the visceral dirge of Bitches Brew, Pangea or whatever. Absolutely nothing!

advertisement

Back