advertisement

Vinyl vs CD - In The Lab.

Max,

CD measures better, vinyl sounds better.

There, everyone's happy -- by post #2 no less.

Joe

You can make an audibly exact copy of a vinyl record, using digital techniques and playback . . .

. . . but you can't make a copy of a digital recording on vinyl, and have it sound the same.

JC

JC,

That's why digital measures better and analogue sounds better.

Joe

You can make a copy, of a copy, of a digital recording, an infinite number of times, and each one will sound 100% (not 99.999%) identical.

If you did that with vinyl analogue technology, you would end up with a hissy, mushy, mess after very few copies.

JC

JC,

A hissy, mushy mess? Like the Gorn after Captain Kirk defeated it on Cestus III with his DIY diamond cannon?

arena5_cannon.jpg

Joe

Would it be unsportsmanlike to suggest that, on the whole, people don't take their vinyl and make umpteen analogue generational copies of it, so they don't get a hissy, mushy mess.

On the other hand, if you take a little knowledge out of context and seek to make a provocative audio forum thread about it..... yes this inevitably ends in a very hissy and mushy mess ;)

So if digital is perfect, why do some bell ends carry such large shoulder chips about it and have to constantly justify it's superiority? :rolleyes:

CD is transparent, LPs sound nicer to lots of people.

statement upgraded :)

That's because those people are accustomed, and pre-conditioned, to vinyl, and the equipment that goes with it.

If it were suddenly invented nowadays, I think it would probably fail dismally.

JC

Max,

CD measures better, vinyl sounds better.
CD measuring "better" might well be proven untrue depending on the definition of "better".

Joe said:
There, everyone's happy -- by post #2 no less.

Joe
Other than the measurists, who want everyone to follow them.

You can make an audibly exact copy of a vinyl record, using digital techniques and playback . . .

. . . but you can't make a copy of a digital recording on vinyl, and have it sound the same.

JC
:D:D:D

CD is transparent, LPs sound nicer to lots of people.

statement modified :)
statement fixed for accuracy :)

Imagine the scene. You take a group of 100 people and ask them 2 questions:
1. Is your hifi transparent?
2. Do you like the sound of the music you get from your hifi?

I'll give you one guess which question will be met with blank looks and a couldn't care less response.

Merry Christmas

Doesn't it just say they prefer the sound of vinyl?

Exploring the reasons why might be useful, and might even allow for some interesting tangents to be followed on the digital front.
Simple criticism of people preferring is just going to generate noise.

Hello Mick, Season's Greetings to you and Mrs Mick, I hope you are both fit and well.

It's been a bit stormy round here for cycling, and the wind blew the roof off one of my beehives last night.

JC

advertisement

Back