advertisement

Vinyl virgin or mp3 mainstream?

benjaminreed1

Benjamin Reed
I heard a Pink Floyd album in Billy Vee sound systems in Lewisham about 20 years ago. Playing through a Linn Sondek LP12 and B&W speakers. It was the start of an eternal relationship with HiFi.

Since then I have:

- Upgraded through Naim, Arcam and Linn
- Bought a tube CD player - Tjoeb Marantz http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0501/tjoeb4000.htm

- Made my own speakers which gave the neighbours a shock
- Bought and sold equipment depending on the size of my house and flat
- Had THE best Arcam Epos system but had to sell it
- Bought a Naim Unitiqute with Elipson speakers to stream music
- Realised that the above doesn't play FLAC files!

I am now in a place where I either but an amazing CD player as I have a thousand CDs.

This is still my bible after all these years.

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/index.php/olde-worlde/295

Or I go vinyl, buy a Pro-ject or similar and START to buy vinyl.

Any advice or nostalgia much appreciated reading.

Cheers
Ben

My advice is based on my own hi fi path - I gave up vinyl in the mid 80's to go down the cd path - I have now gone back to vinyl albeit the Rega route, and hardly ever play cd' s now! My only regret, is not keeping going down the vinyl path, as it is expensive, but the "hands on" of setting up and playing around with different tracking force, etc., is really god fun! The music though is something else! It has a life-like sound quality that cd just dosent really capture!
I'm converted to vinyl and building my collection!

Something wrong there... Naim UnitiQute product spec says it plays FLAC up to 24/192 and I've certainly auditioned one playing 16/44.1.

An amazing cdp will cost far less than an amazing vinyl setup and don't forget new vinyl cost c£20 a pop.

I was in your position a couple of years ago (though with less CD's) I went the vinyl route and haven't regretted it for a second.

CD's seem like a pointless anachronism to me now - I hate the crappy plastic cases, the SQ is no better than FLAC rips anyway, the artwork is too small to enjoy and there's nothing particularly enjoyable about putting one on. Others will disagree, I'm sure but that's my take on it.

I was in your position a couple of years ago (though with less CD's) I went the vinyl route and haven't regretted it for a second.

Same here. I have been in and out of vinyl over the last 20 years, but two years ago decided it was the way I wanted to go. I found a rare unused Technics 1210 and started with that together with about 30 records I already owned and perhaps 20 new ones.

Once I was convinced (i.e. the hassle factor did not outweigh the enjoyment), I upgraded to a significantly better set up and invested very heavily in my collection. It now accounts for 95% of my home listening and I'd never go back.

It works for me, but I am not sure I could recommend it to everyone, as there are downsides:

1. The cost. A back catalogue album on vinyl is likely to be £20, where as you can normally buy the CD on Amazon Market place for £0.01 + postage.

2. The variable quality of new vinyl. When I was really building my collection, I would estimate that I was sending back up to a third because of warps, scratches or pressing problems. Sometimes the replacement was the same, so I'd accept that I wouldn't own that album on vinyl.

3. The hassle factor. It takes up space, you have to get up and turn the record over after three songs, it needs careful storage, cleaning etc. It's definitely much more of a 'hobby' than CDs or files and that doesn't suit everyone.

Thanks for the responses. I agree, use FLAC files for easy listening around the house and for a lock in with a great album and bottle of red, start to buy vinyl.

At least that way people can buy me vinyl as presents and not more socks!

What would be a good £500 deck and stylus?

Thanks for the responses. I agree, use FLAC files for easy listening around the house and for a lock in with a great album and bottle of red, start to buy vinyl.

At least that way people can buy me vinyl as presents and not more socks!

What would be a good £500 deck and stylus?

Indeed, exactly the same here. Digital is brilliant for general listening and records are damned inconvenient if you're trying to do anything else!

£500 is a nice starter budget. I'm sure you'll get lots of different recommendations. I had a £500 budget also, was looking at new pro-jects and regas but ended up buying an old (pre-cirkus) LP12 from a chap on here. I've upgraded it a lot since then but it still sounded pretty nice in it's original form. They hold their value well, too.

I always fancied one of those really early mitchells too (the clockwork orange one) I think you can get those for five to six hundred-ish.

I bought a Pro-ject Experience c/w an ortofon Rhondo red ex demo, for £ 500
highly satisfied.
Remember that a good phono stage is as important as the cartridge, I bought an Arkless modded cambridge audio 640 a bargain if you are patient.

I restarted my vinyl days about 8yrs ago. Started with a Notts Analogue Horizon then moved on to a used LP12 with Akito. Still got the same LP12 but now has a Sole subchassis, Ekos2, Troika,phono stage probably spent £3000 on it.
Is it better than digital? yes sometimes but digital is good as well if the mastering is good. I have some shit sounding LPs.
My digital player cost £850 and can sound superb with the right recording.
Don't get sucked into the idea that a £500 deck/arm/cartridge is going to be audio nirvana;)

I never gave up on vinyl but in terms of cost-effectiveness I would probably not get BACK into vinyl today!

Exactly this for me too. I've even offered to sell all mu vinyl and go all hard drive, but my wife likes the records (even though she doesn't play them).

Digital for 2-300 bucks sounds incredible. Love the artifact, the artwork and the ritual of records, but I also love cleanliness, owning less things and minimalism in general

Thanks everyone. So I am bucking trend. Now I am looking for a vinyl player, decent arm and cartridge in PX.

I bought my Unitiqute form Oranges and Lemons Hifi in November 2012. Mint as new condition. Not one scratch and used a couple of times. With box, remote, aerial and original packaging and receipt. Based in London.

thanks

advertisement

Back