advertisement

Vinyl sales highest market share since 1990

Sorry but Vinyl records are absolutely filthy from an environmental point of view and are difficult to recycle.

Who's recycling them? I've had some of mine on the shelf since 1973. If I tire of them, there will be a collector out there who will want them for their shelf.

To a point.I have depressing memories of the basement of a branch of the Music & Video Exchange stuffed full of dance music 12"s that they couldn't shift for pennies. Stuff you couldn't give away.
Hadn't factored in the unsaleable! I wouldn't imagine it to be too difficult to recycle the vinyl from unplayed discs but I don't expect anyone to try.

Hadn't factored in the unsaleable! I wouldn't imagine it to be too difficult to recycle the vinyl from unplayed discs but I don't expect anyone to try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_IAYOlNSDs

IIRC recycled vinyl was a thing during and post the oil crisis. I suspect many on here could relate horror stories of records rendered unplayable by bits of the labels of the records they were recycled from. However, nowadays recycled vinyl seems to be an actual plus-point thing:

https://store.edsheeran.com/uk/exclusive-recycled-vinyl.html

P.S. Archive photo from the much missed Berwick St branch of Music and Video Exchange.

tumblr_mg282mEXnI1qzipnzo1_1280.jpg

P.S. Archive photo from the much missed Berwick St branch of Music and Video Exchange.

You’d be amazed how much decent stuff I pulled out of those 10p bins in the basement! The shop at Shepherds Bush was great too, as obviously were the main ones in Notting Hill. The thing with the Shepherds Bush one is the folk who worked there clearly weren’t dealers, they were just staff, so whilst I suspect they were told to stick all the unknown dance 12” singles and Simply Red and Phil Collins albums down there they ended up shovelling all kinds of stuff down. I found some good rare ‘80s indie, prog, collectable classical etc, plus there were some very good techno/electronica 12”s too. As ever always worth going through everything. Even the shops that knew their stuff, e.g. Honest Jon’s priced some stuff remarkably cheaply that is now worth a fortune. A lot of my original US Impulse, Verve and Atlantic stuff came from there and very little was more than a fiver or tenner tops. Ones that come to mind were an Atlantic mono white-label of Ornette On Tenner for £6 and an uncensored US 1st press of Kick Out The Jams for a tenner! Great times to be buying.

Agreed Tony - I used to pop into the Camden branch two or three times a week on my way home. You'd often spot well known DJs offloading piles of promos which made for rich pickings if you enjoyed spending an hour or two flicking through records. As I do :)

"using waste from the production of other vinyl records"

I'm guessing it was pressed here: https://www.optimal-media.com/en/press/re-vinyl/

Reading between the lines, using clean offcuts from the plant is a lot more viable than chipping dirty old records with the labels on.

Reputable plants punched out the centres before recycling the vinyl, and the recycled discs would typically be returns from stores that had never been opened.

advertisement

Back