advertisement

Vinyl Resurgence Continues

matthewr

spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld
"Over the past four years, vinyl record sales have been soaring, jumping almost 300% from 858,000 in 2006 to 2.5 million in 2009, and sales this year are on track to reach new peaks, according to Nielsen Entertainment. Meanwhile, as digital music sales are also continuing a steady rise, CD sales have been on a fast downward slope over the same period of time. In the first half of this year alone, CD album sales were down about 18% over the same period last year. David Bakula, senior vice president of analytics at Nielsen Entertainment, said it's not just audiophiles expanding their collections that is driving vinyl record sales but a whole new generation of young music aficionados who are digging the album art, liner notes and other features that records bring to the table. 'The trend sure does seem sustainable. And the record industry is really doing a lot of cool things to not only make the format come alive but to make it more exciting for consumers,' Bakula said."

http://bit.ly/vinylresurgence

EDIT: Mods this might be more appropriate just as a post in the Record Shops RIP thread.

Yes! bring on the piles of vinyl, keep the existing shops going and stop buying those pesky CDs is it.

Things are less bleak for the black stuff (Other colours are also available)

DS

Listened to 'The Wall' on vinyl this evening for the first time in 15 years (I sold the LP and bought a CD). The LP is so much better it's unbelievable. More LP issues of new and old stuff please!

Well, there is always the exception that proves the rule is it. It will be DSOTM next there.

DS

" David Bakula, senior vice president of analytics at Nielsen Entertainment, said it's not just audiophiles expanding their collections that is driving vinyl record sales but a whole new generation of young music aficionados who are digging the album art, liner notes and other features that records bring to the table.

'Digging the album art..'? Has this guy time-travelled from 1956? Is he actually Scott Bakula?

I noticed the use of the word 'album' when referring to vinyl and 'unit' when referring to CDs.

I guess most of us are 'Older audiophiles' :(

Actually I noted recently that my use of the term "album" seemed to meet withj approval from the kids (with whom I am down).

Joe -- Arf. Although I think in 2010 you would need to be Scott Bakula to get the Quantum Leap reference.

I like the Lone Ranger album by Quantum Leap is it. Or was it just that track perhaps.

Anyway, don't dismiss Quantum Leap because of the haircuts there.

DS

> thread from the dead alert <

Vinyl resurgence hits bump in road.

20180517_171201.jpg

From Private Eye

You can go back 10 years when this started...and people said it was a fad. Then 5 years ago, people said it was a fad. I think there is still some way to go. But I have mixed feelings, having stopped buying about 2 years ago.

I mean...why is it good? Are the kids getting that vibe where they spent their whole pocket money on a record, or is it showboating hipsters and old men? If it is driven by posing, then it is a waste of resource, surely? When I was releasing records, the sheer bulk of 1000, covered in polysterene and other packaging is quite a site. And it was all flown in from the Czech Republic or USA.

In the past week or so I have bought a first press U.S '2 Eye' Columbia copy of Miles Davis - Sorcerer from 1967 and an Analogue Productions remaster of Freddie Hubbard - The Body and Soul from 2010 both sounded fantastic and cost £19 and £23 respectively money very well spent IMO. I cannot say what a top notch CDP can sound like as I have never owned one but I have owned pretty decent Network players and at present own a Liv (Innous) Zen into a Chord 2Qute and I'm starting to buy CD's very cheap to rip and although I have to say the CD rips do not compare they both have a place in our set up as do Tidal and Internet radio.

Who cares if it is young hipsters, old gits or kids spending their pocket money buying Albums, Records, CD's or vinyl just as long as people are spending on music and keeping the whole thing going and healthy. I do not understand this aversion to all things fashion all of the music we love and all of the media used to replay it were once considered fashionable and just passing fads by the old gits of the day and here we all are still listening, buying and talking about it.

Wouldn't claim to be a superfan, whatever that actually means, but I'd consider 19 new albums to have been a very quiet year! Buy something new most weeks, plus whatever the charity-shop digging throws up.

The article classes £400 p.a. spend as being a superfan so I'd imagine quite a high proportion of Fish. I don't spend that much on new vinyl any more.

Not keen on the term Superfan, but yes well over £400 on vinyl in the last year. 1 year of Jazz 33 purchases is just about that on its own.

advertisement

Back