advertisement

Vinyl prices

My first The The record, purchased close to release. Might have been from Nottm. Selectadisc, but more likely from a local record shop. I think it was dead cheap as not selling.
Still have the picture sleeve as well, which I kept separately then - all singles going into those horrid white card plain 7” sleeves.
This is my preferred version, as I heard it and played it a lot before the well-known version was released later on.

R-382174-1171505034.jpeg.jpg

More Images

The The ‎– Cold Spell Ahead
Label:
Some Bizzare ‎– BZS 4
Format:
Vinyl, 7", 45 RPM, Single
UK
Released:
Sep 1981

The original non-censored picture sleeve of the Infected 12” is worth cash (the first cover variant of the Burning Blue Soul album even more so). I’ve not got either sadly, my Infected is cool though as it is the double pack with the Soul Mining remix 12”. I had a look at discogs and the limited edition of Soul Mining with the Perfect 12” is climbing in value now too, and that’s one I do have. I didn’t stick around too long so Mind Bomb with the poster is the latest thing I have. My rarest item, though not really valuable, is a white label test pressing of the Uncertain Smile 12”. As for 7” singles, which I don’t usually buy, I would recommend hunting down Uncertain Smile as it is a very different mix to the 12” or album and I really like it. I haven’t heard it for years though as, like the rest of my 7”, it is in a big flight-case that I use as a TV stand and I can’t be bothered moving everything to get to it!

PS CD buyers should ignore the remasters and go for the original issue CDs, they are just way better IMHO.

I had this in my collection until a couple of years ago. Came to me as a promo at work in the days when the pluggers actually sent out physical product. Sold for £150-ish from memory. It's still going up, I suspect.....

https://www.discogs.com/The-The-Film-Music/release/466449

I nearly bought the Beatles Mono box but decided I could get reasonable original copies if and when I wished. However if I had bought I am not sure I could resist getting toward 3k for it.

I do have a few £300 LP's and plenty in the low hundreds but enjoy those too much and rather they or the cash go to my loved ones one day.

They have my Discogs details and will be sharing this and other forums in due course. Sounds morbid, and I am perfectly well, but at 55 you never know.
I contributed some stuff to a fundraising auction for Henry McCullough. Amongst other items was a Mono vinyl box, donated and signed by Macca, which went for £1,400. Madness, thought I, back in 2015... (mind you, one of my £15 45 rpm cheeses went for £600!).

I’ve certainly posted about my EX to NM 1st press of Electric Warrior; that was four copies, one for the record, the cover, the inner and the poster. It didn’t actually cost much to do as I did it over 20 years ago, I think I paid £15 for the record, no more than a fiver for any other part, and it’s a £400-500 album now!

Crikey! That was the first album I ever bought (1973). I still have it in all it's original completeness although the cover hasn't aged all that well.

It is *very* hard to find good condition original T. Rex albums these days. The EW cover is pretty fragile too which doesn’t help, but if yours is complete with EX or above vinyl it is certainly worth good cash.

5243669372_df0d7d3462_c.jpg

I’d grade mine at borderline EX for the cover and NM for the rest and I reckon it would definitely see the happy side of £300 at auction. Not going anywhere though, it is still one of my favourite rock albums. I was just a little later and The Slider was my first album. Not got my original copy, but amazingly I stumbled over a NOS copy back in the mid-80s, so cool having such a great copy of both of these. I’ve got just about everything else in varying condition (nothing terrible) too. The only one from my childhood is Futuristic Dragon as that was the first gig I ever saw, I still have the programme in the sleeve.

Funny how some artists are just not really collectible. Gerry Rafferty, big name but even mint copies of his albums sell for peanuts, Graham Parker is another.

I think Paul Weller will continue to rise with even the unloved Style Council on the climb.

The original non-censored picture sleeve of the Infected 12” is worth cash (the first cover variant of the Burning Blue Soul album even more so). I’ve not got either sadly, my Infected is cool though as it is the double pack with the Soul Mining remix 12”. I had a look at discogs and the limited edition of Soul Mining with the Perfect 12” is climbing in value now too, and that’s one I do have. I didn’t stick around too long so Mind Bomb with the poster is the latest thing I have. My rarest item, though not really valuable, is a white label test pressing of the Uncertain Smile 12”. As for 7” singles, which I don’t usually buy, I would recommend hunting down Uncertain Smile as it is a very different mix to the 12” or album and I really like it. I haven’t heard it for years though as, like the rest of my 7”, it is in a big flight-case that I use as a TV stand and I can’t be bothered moving everything to get to it!

PS CD buyers should ignore the remasters and go for the original issue CDs, they are just way better IMHO.
The yellow vinyl 'Uncertain Smile' 12" in a pvc sleeve is pretty scarce too.....Bought mine from Adrians mailorder on release along with the black vinyl pic sleeve version with lyric sheet.
Still one of my favourite 12" singles ever.

advertisement

Back