advertisement

Vinyl and charity shops

Rodrat

pfm Member
Over the years I have bought a few small record collections. I am now in the process of culling them. I have a lot of Jim Reeves, Cliff Richard and similar stuff which seems to feature a lot in charity shops. All my local shops say they don't take that type of Genre anymore and are only interested in Led Zeppelin and other easy to sell stuff.

I am loath to just take them to the tip but nobody seems to want them. Any ideas?

Please note I will not sell them to PFM due to Tony's situation. I will give them away provided Tony is ok with this.

thanks for looking

Rod

I really would just take them to the tip and recycle the plastic and card they're made from. I was antique shopping in Neath a while back and one guy had accumulated enough landfill vinyl in his back yard to build walls. It was a little bit terrifying.

Over the years I have bought a few small record collections. I am now in the process of culling them. I have a lot of Jim Reeves, Cliff Richard and similar stuff which seems to feature a lot in charity shops. All my local shops say they don't take that type of Genre anymore and are only interested in Led Zeppelin and other easy to sell stuff.

I am loath to just take them to the tip but nobody seems to want them. Any ideas?

Please note I will not sell them to PFM due to Tony's situation. I will give them away provided Tony is ok with this.

thanks for looking

Rod

They have no value. I sort records for a charity and all the Whitman and Reeves etc go straight in the bin (apart from any recyclable paper/card. Some of the Cliff still sells, but for peanuts.
If you have the inclination, drag out a few albums and check the price on Discogs. Also look at fleabay for an indication of how worthless they are.

Original issue 1950s-60s Cliff Richard and Shadows stuff certainly has some value if in good shape. I’ve got £20-30 a throw for some of it.

thanks for looking

Rod
Give them to Tony, help support pfm.

For anyone who sells LPs online a couple of junk LPs are quite handy to use as packet stiffeners.

This how I discovered Jan Akkerman/Focus - My Kraftwerk records sent from a nice bloke in Munster, (umlaut on the 'u') Germany were sandwiched between two Akkerman LP's....They weren't junk to me anyway!

For anyone who sells LPs online a couple of junk LPs are quite handy to use as packet stiffeners.

Ha! yes, this is what I do with them as well, Also useful to use as a spare sleeve to slip a record into for mailing - a lot better than causing potential damage to the original sleeve.

You'd think if somebody could collect enough of it they'd be able to find a market for it as recycled vinyl.

Some recycled vinyl is used in most new pressings so there must be a way to recycle it.

Records are loaded with carbon black, to make them black and have a paper label firmly attached. What other use would black PVC find? Forget filtering it out, VERY unlikely to be economically viable. Recycling of PVC within a pressing plant will near certainly largely be restricted to edge trim. Recycling dud records with paper labels would be very restricted in % and/or minus the centre area with the labels.

This how I discovered Jan Akkerman/Focus - My Kraftwerk records sent from a nice bloke in Munster, (umlaut on the 'u') Germany were sandwiched between two Akkerman LP's....They weren't junk to me anyway!
What like this Münster? ;) Had to remind myself how after communicating with Sjöström Audio recently......... now to get back to the ohm symbol.......

Regards

Richard

Given that I have purchased thousands of charity shop LP's for 99 cents each here in the USA - I'm sorta surprised that no one has ever organized a used vinyl tour of the USA. I envision a tour bus towing a trailer -with lots drawn at each stop as to who gets a 10 min. head start to the record bins . A standard international shipping container ready to go at the dock where the tour would end with each person on the bus getting a layer of the container to store their recent treasures for shipping back to the old country. Com'n- ya'll can't possibly have all the Christmas music ,Johnny Mathais , Lawerence Welk , Barbara Streisand ,Andre Kotelanietz (spl?) , or sing along with Mitch Miller albums ya need ?? And just enough good stuff mixed in to justify my "Pavlov loves me - I shop at GoodWill" T-shirt. They've got CD's too and often times impressively abused stereo equipment (speakers with rotted foam surrounds anyone ?).

When I look at the U.S. prices on Discogs compared to the U.K. I wish I could do a tour of your record shops!

advertisement

Back