1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Vinyl and charity shops

Discussion in 'music' started by Rodrat, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

Over the years I have bought a few small record collections. I am now in the process of culling them. I have a lot of Jim Reeves, Cliff Richard and similar stuff which seems to feature a lot in charity shops. All my local shops say they don't take that type of Genre anymore and are only interested in Led Zeppelin and other easy to sell stuff.

I am loath to just take them to the tip but nobody seems to want them. Any ideas?

Please note I will not sell them to PFM due to Tony's situation. I will give them away provided Tony is ok with this.

thanks for looking

Rod

2. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

I really would just take them to the tip and recycle the plastic and card they're made from. I was antique shopping in Neath a while back and one guy had accumulated enough landfill vinyl in his back yard to build walls. It was a little bit terrifying.

3. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

They have no value. I sort records for a charity and all the Whitman and Reeves etc go straight in the bin (apart from any recyclable paper/card. Some of the Cliff still sells, but for peanuts.
    If you have the inclination, drag out a few albums and check the price on Discogs. Also look at fleabay for an indication of how worthless they are.

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Original issue 1950s-60s Cliff Richard and Shadows stuff certainly has some value if in good shape. I’ve got £20-30 a throw for some of it.

5. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

Give them to Tony, help support pfm.

Big Tabs likes this.
  6. Moppit

Moppit pfm Member

Given the likelihood of a zombie uprising post 31 October I'd be inclined to keep them in the shed at the bottom of the garden just in case....they could come in useful.

Jono_13, tiggers, Snufkin and 3 others like this.
  7. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

For anyone who sells LPs online a couple of junk LPs are quite handy to use as packet stiffeners.

8. irons1965

irons1965 pfm Member

This how I discovered Jan Akkerman/Focus - My Kraftwerk records sent from a nice bloke in Munster, (umlaut on the 'u') Germany were sandwiched between two Akkerman LP's....They weren't junk to me anyway!

paulfromcamden likes this.
  9. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

Ha! yes, this is what I do with them as well, Also useful to use as a spare sleeve to slip a record into for mailing - a lot better than causing potential damage to the original sleeve.

10. colasblue

colasblue pfm Member

You'd think if somebody could collect enough of it they'd be able to find a market for it as recycled vinyl.

Some recycled vinyl is used in most new pressings so there must be a way to recycle it.

11. AudioAl

AudioAl pfm Member

Donate them to the EU help with Brexit :)

12. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Records are loaded with carbon black, to make them black and have a paper label firmly attached. What other use would black PVC find? Forget filtering it out, VERY unlikely to be economically viable. Recycling of PVC within a pressing plant will near certainly largely be restricted to edge trim. Recycling dud records with paper labels would be very restricted in % and/or minus the centre area with the labels.

13. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Niche "leisure" clothing?

Vinny likes this.
  14. Theo

Theo pfm Member

15. Richard Lines

Richard Lines Well-Known Member

What like this Münster? ;) Had to remind myself how after communicating with Sjöström Audio recently......... now to get back to the ohm symbol.......

Regards

Richard

irons1965 likes this.
  16. irons1965

irons1965 pfm Member

I'm useless with this sort of thing Richard!

17. audiopile

audiopile pfm Member

Given that I have purchased thousands of charity shop LP's for 99 cents each here in the USA - I'm sorta surprised that no one has ever organized a used vinyl tour of the USA. I envision a tour bus towing a trailer -with lots drawn at each stop as to who gets a 10 min. head start to the record bins . A standard international shipping container ready to go at the dock where the tour would end with each person on the bus getting a layer of the container to store their recent treasures for shipping back to the old country. Com'n- ya'll can't possibly have all the Christmas music ,Johnny Mathais , Lawerence Welk , Barbara Streisand ,Andre Kotelanietz (spl?) , or sing along with Mitch Miller albums ya need ?? And just enough good stuff mixed in to justify my "Pavlov loves me - I shop at GoodWill" T-shirt. They've got CD's too and often times impressively abused stereo equipment (speakers with rotted foam surrounds anyone ?).

Weekender likes this.
  18. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

When I look at the U.S. prices on Discogs compared to the U.K. I wish I could do a tour of your record shops!