advertisement

(Vintage?) studio monitor-like speakers that both reveal and sound great without making my ears bleed ...

The obvious answer would be LS3- 5As, but they can go for silly money now. I've lived with my Rogers Studio 3s (same box as the LS3etc for 27 years now and would strongly recommend hearing a pair if you can find them. Also maybe consider slightly larger Rogers built BBC designs

A friend has Tannoy Mercury, they are very pleasant, I'd say suitable for studio use and Tannoy know a thing or two about speaker design.

I would love to have a set of Tannoys here or LS3/5as - Rogers Studio 3 is a nice suggestion.

How about the Rogers 1a?

Jbl lL26 need crossovers modded and then sound very good.
A bit raw without mods due to crap crossovers.

Jbl L96 better than 12 inch Jbls imo. Fantastic. Better attack to the bass. I wish id kept mine.

Jbl lL26 need crossovers modded and then sound very good.
A bit raw without mods due to crap crossovers.

Jbl L96 better than 12 inch Jbls imo. Fantastic. Better attack to the bass. I wish id kept mine.
EXCELLENT speakers.

Just been listening to 6 music before work, a member of the band Porij says he uses Focal 6.5 in his bedroom studio, really likes them, 5 years on. Obviously he's using them for music making and writing day in, day out, for hours.

you won't go wrong with BBC LS3/5 speakers or JR 149s or the Falcon mondern equivalents, depending how much you want to spend

Vintage Tannoy Little Reds, Little Golds, Tannoy Eatons. Bigger ?…Cheviots, biggest ? Tannoy Ardens - yes ye can use Ardens in small rooms ! :cool:
woops, just saw that yer planning tae use a subwoofer. Forget about Tannoys, they’d be wasted by the interference that is a blunderbuss subwoofer. Buy speakers with 8” drives tae use with subs, which’ll never satisfy…😎

Last edited:

These bear a strong resemblance to the monitors in this studio:

dce534ab-d88b-428f-8666-5b57d6c4a211.jpeg

Or if you want to build your own:

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Do you still have the JBL 300s? Do they need to be reformed?
I suggest JBL 4430s, but they seem to be going up in price lately. I loved mine and only have them to my son and his wife because the wife said (when I got the altec A7s) that at least one pair of speakers had to go. I didn't want to sell my quad 2805s and am borrowing a pair of original quads, so I could kind of see her point.

I decided to test some JBL L52s that were for sale as a demo set here. I will receive them within the next week. I hope they are both good enough to show up what happens in the music and musical enough to bear listening to for longer periods of time. I plan to rotate between the three set-ups in my study.

During the search for a biggish studio monitor, I came to realise that I could not fit big Tannoy or JBL speakers in my room without blocking out too much of the light that I so desperately need in my life. That concludion was reached when i tried to set up the Richard Allan speakers in the study. They are relatively shallow but too tall and wide for permanent positioning in there. I will have a listen and then probably move them on unless they prove to be too good to let go.

Do you still have the JBL 300s? Do they need to be reformed?
I suggest JBL 4430s, but they seem to be going up in price lately. I loved mine and only have them to my son and his wife because the wife said (when I got the altec A7s) that at least one pair of speakers had to go. I didn't want to sell my quad 2805s and am borrowing a pair of original quads, so I could kind of see her point.
Oh! Show us your A7s!

advertisement

Back