advertisement

Vintage Lenses

Jonathan,

Yeah, the 55mm Micro-Nikkor is an awesome lens, too.

Pro tip: Wear gloves when you examine your photos taken with it.

Joe

Lefty,

I shot a bit of Kodachrome when I first got into photography, but most of my experience with the film has been scanning old Kodachrome slides that older family members took decades ago. I now associate an era with Kodachrome as much as I associate a look.

Again, not my pix, but they all cry out Kodachrome.

London__Kodachrome_by_Chalmers_Butterfield_edit.jpg

1953-New-York-Harbor-Nov-3-on-SS-Roma.jpg

Joe

life was a lot more interesting before marketing, computers and bureaucratic logo/sign-making took off.

I have an extensive collection of Pentax K-mount lenses which I still use quite a bit on my Pentax D-SLR's. Some of my best lenses are 20+ years old as it happens - F2.8 zooms and some fast primes - and those get a lot of use. I also have quite a few M42 mount lenses (including some exotics such as the Soligor 135mm F2, of which I have two for some reason) that also get occasional use. I even have quite a few medium formation lenses (some Pentax and some eastern bloc) that get occasional use on the DSLR's, with adaptors.

I've got a small collection of eastern bloc lenses as well - in Pentax-K, M42 and Leica screw - some of which get used (Porst 55mm F1.2 for example). Some of those aren't the sharpest but can give interesting results - stuff like the Meyer Optik Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm F2.8. I've got a couple of Voigtlander lenses in Leica screw mount as well.

I did shoot some Kodachrome back in the day but for colour I was more of a Fuji man and shot a lot more Velvia and Provia.

This is one of the Soligor 135mm F2's fitted to my old Pentax K10D:
87602659.Wo6X8Kyl.sg3.jpg

And this is the Porst 55mm F1.2 mounted on my all-time favourite camera, the Pentax LX:
168774696.ZjVUw9ps.lx01.jpg

What is the definition of vintage for lenses? I've a feeling that if we start thinking anything from the 80s is vintage that would cover the majority of my lenses :(

I personally would say that vintage would have to give you a design that is no longer made, or earlier non-MC lenses with their unique flare characteristics. I'd think anything tessar or triotar would qualify as those older 3 and 4 element designs are limited in a way that means that they basically aren't used in anything currently in production.

Just had a look on the shelf:
Zeiss Contax 50mm f1.4 - in it's day was said to out-perform any Leitz 50mm lens, but, my own tests show that the Fujinon XF 35mm f1.4 out resolves it when mounted on a Fuji X camera (but the Fuji does do software lens correction for Fuji lenses, so this may not be fair)
Zeiss Contax 135mm f2.8 - lovely bokeh, but it's quite heavy.
Helios 58mm f2 - this is one that I built from two I bought, so I ended up with good optics from one lens, and working mechanics from another - this was the lens on my first SLR - a Zenit B - it's really not too bad at all, characterful.
Yashica 200mm f4 - basically the classic Zeiss Sonnar design, built by Cosina in Japan, but to much less exacting standards than Zeiss. On my Fuji it's a 300mm lens, 35mm equivalent, but if I use my Fuji 90mm f2, and crop, the resolution is way better, and so it's unlikely to get much use.
I also have a Jupiter 9 - the 85mm f2 that has quite a following - mine is a 39mm (Leica) screw thread, and my adapter is a pain, as I need to shim the lens to get a proper infinity focus, and the lens doesn't then line up with the camera, so I can't see the aperture markings. At f2 it's really spectacularly poor, but stopped down it has an amazing quality to it that renders skin really well, so I'll be keeping it after all...

Have a spotless Nikon 50/f1.8 ais on a Nikon FM2N and an immaculate 1935 Leica III with 5cm/f3.5 in its original Wallace Heaton case.

I bought my son for graduation an almost unused black Leica M6 TTL 0.72 with full packaging and paperwork, we share lenses but I fancy getting the new "vintage" Voightlander 35/f2 Ultron.

And this is the Porst 55mm F1.2 mounted on my all-time favourite camera, the Pentax LX:
168774696.ZjVUw9ps.lx01.jpg

Pentax LX is a fabulous camera - small, compact, well built with interchangeable finders - an unheralded classic - does everything a Nikon F3 can do with less weight in a smaller package

It was only a matter of time - I've just pulled the trigger on another vintage beauty: a gorgeous Nikkor 50mm f1.2 Ai-S

It's a lens I've owned before but then foolishly sold. Sure it's a bit 'niche' but it does have a certain charm to the way it renders images. Rather looking to forward to receiving it :)

nk5012u.jpg

Lefty

Last edited:
All my lenses are Primes and M42 threaded vintage, be they Pentax Super Takumar or Carl Zeiss which are adapted onto my Fuji X-T2.

The MF stuff is truly ancient, my Bronica S2a with its standard 80mm lens is like walking round with a solid metal toaster in ones hand and is 50yr plus in age.

Saying that, I'm seriously thinking about getting a 18- 55 fuji zoom lens. Just to see what I'm missing image quality and focusing speed wise. The grand kids move faster than I can nail 'em!

Last edited:
@Paulicus - I would love to get properly into film and particularly MF. I had a brief but very enjoyable flirt with it a couple of years ago and love the results. Pretty much all of my family portraits are processed with a film look in mind (like the image of my son above).

@Pete MB&D - some lovely bokeh in that first image.

Lefty

@Lefty A Yashica Mat 124G would be a great start into the MF twin lens reflex camera system. It's based on the Rolliflex twin lens and is pretty good given the cost.

My Bronica S2a is known as the Japanese Hasselblad. Beautifully built all metal construction and fully manual which I love. I'll never get rid off it as I inherited it. Avoid the S2, though.

Bronica RF645 - I owned one of these, but they have weak winders so avoid. I'd repaired mine twice and sold it as soon as it came back from the second repair. Parts are non existent now.

Mamyia are nice and are well built, but I've no experience with them. Pete T uses them though.

I personally wouldn't touch anything Kiev. (Beast from the East) The Soviet Hasselblad rip-off and not very well screwed together from the ones I've seen locally collecting dust.

My advice is get yourself an MF folder or a Lomo and have some fun with it. You'll get some images that are unique in their look. And some of them will blow you away with the way the MF renders images.

You've got a great eye and an accomplished photographer so treat it as a bit of fun to your other stuff. Your boy will love the whole process too :)

@Paulicus - that's superb, many thanks for the advice!

I did actually get myself a Yashica Mat 124G a couple of years ago when I revisited film. Sadly I only put 3 rolls through it. (2 x Ilfrod HP5 and 1 X Fuji Provia 400). I just didn't use it enough. Here's a image I took with it:

34521079133_a7ba059e91_b.jpg

I mainly used my Nikon F80 along with my usual Nikon lenses which gave great results (and was very cost effective).

I like the idea of going down a folder / lomo and treating it as a bit of fun and as something for my son to get involved with too :) You're actually the second person this week to recommend getting a folding camera. The first recommended I get a Zeiss Ikon Nettar. I'll have to look it up!

Lefty

advertisement

Back