advertisement

Vintage Hi-fi??

Si74

pfm Member
Just looked at the advert at the top of the page. Prices are certainly not Vintage. 850 quid for an STD turntable? nice tables but the last time I bought some from a guy that worked there it was 150quid for 3, should have bought more!

Pretty decent turntable from what I recall from reviews etc and look decently made. There are IIRC three versions, a three-speed one with electronic speed control and a cool retro LED display, a simplified version without, and a cost-cut budget black version which didn’t have any of the retro DeLorean cool aesthetic. The better two were a competitor to the LP12, RD11, Logic DM101 etc so I’d expect a genuinely tidy example of the first two versions to be in the £300+ range, especially if backed by a dealer’s warranty.

I’ve never heard or worked on one, I just really like the alloy and black aesthetic, especially the one with the red LED display! Anyone owned one?

PS Obviously one would have to deduct value for it being called STD. That meant that even back then I’m sure.

I had one. Not quite as good as a Thorens 150/160 IMHO but not much in it. More a rival for a Planar 3 performance wise. Uses Thorens belt. Mine was the one without the digital display and servo etc. There was slight motor noise which was disappointing but didn't really get through to the output. Maybe £200-220 for the 305D but they really weren't in the same league as LP12, DM101 etc. Strathclyde Transcription Developments IIRC.

Pretty decent turntable from what I recall from reviews etc and look decently made. There are IIRC three versions, a three-speed one with electronic speed control and a cool retro LED display, a simplified version without, and a cost-cut budget black version which didn’t have any of the retro DeLorean cool aesthetic. The better two were a competitor to the LP12, RD11, Logic DM101 etc so I’d expect a genuinely tidy example of the first two versions to be in the £300+ range, especially if backed by a dealer’s warranty.

I’ve never heard or worked on one, I just really like the alloy and black aesthetic, especially the one with the red LED display! Anyone owned one?

PS Obviously one would have to deduct value for it being called STD. That meant that even back then I’m sure.

:)

Yeah, I rebuilt and used a STD 305M about 20-25 years ago, that was the basic manual model with the all black finish.

Quite a nice sounding TT and there really wasn't much in it SQ wise against the original Planar with the wooden frame or a TD160B mk2 that I owned at the same time.

Funny enough, STD didn't mean 'that' back then, AFAIK the general title was 'VD' back then.

Like in Agatha Christie detective stories where vital clues are gathered because the switchboard operator 'happened' to overhear a telephone conversation.

I bought one second hand in the early 1990s , a 305D. There was a digital display showing the current RPM and three small adjusters to alter the speed. Once set it would always change by 0.1 or 0.2%!
£60 including SME series 3 and a pair of Celestion Ditton 66 s which needed some attention.
Later I gave them both away FOC!o_O:oops:
It was one of those "If I'd known then what I know now moments!" Decent enough TT, but not really a match to my early 1980s LP12, but £850!! really? Good luck on that one.
Just because it's 'vintage' doesn't make it valuable.

Andy

advertisement

Back