advertisement

Vintage fountain pen thread...

madmike

I feel much better now, I really do...
Whilst on holiday recently I picked up a vintage fountain pen from an antique shop in Stavanger Norway.
When I got home I examined it and it turns out to be a De La Rue 1332/28 lever fill circa 1930s. Nib is 14 carat number 22.

The body has turned a little green as can be seen below. But I think it should have been jet black as per the part of the body inside the cap. I don't know how to restore the body to its original colour and I don't want to ruin it. Eventually I will have the sac replaced so I can use it.

That's all four options on photobucket...hmmmm?

When I go to edit the first picture the pictures shows in the edit box but not in the post. I'm doing something wrong here.

I saw it on photobucket. Along with loads of dodgy looking adverts......

Check that the nib is in good enough condition to write with, otherwise your restoration might have to source an alternative

Lovely pen, I have a soft spot for those, and the Onoto Magna. If you're going to go down the restoration route, I recommend Battersea Pen Home or, if he's still doing this, Pete Twydle (think I got his name right).

Battersea Pen Home most helpful. Apparently the body is made of vulcanised rubber and releases sulphur making it turn green. Nothing can be done except to sand off the exterior which might harm the pen.

Near the centre of Edinburgh, there was a big advert which proclaimed "They came as a boon and blessing to men, the Owl, the Pickwick and the Waverley pen". It always intrigued me and this morning I went on the hunt and found out that the Owl, the Pickwick and the Waverley were all types of fountain pen made in Edinburgh just over 100 years ago and using a patented upturned nib.

Apologies for the interruption. As you were.

Cleaned out the ink sac with warm water and it appears to be intact. Now filled with Mont Blanc Black ink and writing away.
Could do with polishing up the metal parts...but what to use?

advertisement

Back