advertisement

Vintage Direct Drive

The Pioneer plc-590 is worth checking out as well - nice unit and you can fit your own arm.

Another vote for the Denon 160 - nice cart.

The Pioneer plc-590 is worth checking out as well - nice unit and you can fit your own arm.

I have a PLC-590 and Technics 1200, Given the cost of a 590 and the now obsolete replacement parts, I'd go for the 1200 which I got for £84 off ebay.

I've seen a few of the SL-1XXXX fully autos around here for $100-. Is there a way to do away with the tall spindle?

lencoproject.jpg

£550 and all the work has been done for you it's ready to play and it sounds fantastic.

http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/ourshop/prod_1177105-Goldring-Lenco-GL78-Turntable-cw-Linn-Basic-LVX-Arm-amp-Nagoaka-MP110-Cartridge.html

Lovely deck but the OP wants a direct drive, not an idler drive.

A couple more for the list -

Monitor Audio ET500
Rotel RP3000
Toshiba SR-370
London Acoustical Developments GAJ828, GAJ942 or EL80

If you are up to making your own plinth Big Ears Audioo had an SP10 (Japanese voltage) on their website.

The Technics SL110 is worthwhile (had a final listen the other day befor it went to a new hope)

The Denon DP2000 looks rather nice too but I have never had the tiem and/or cash to get an arm and cart on it

I rather like the JBE Slate Series 3 which I use with a Technoarm a
Shameless plug for mine in the classifieds. You are unlikely to find a better one!

Why would you care?
Joel,

I'm just used to old style manual tables. Also, I've seen several listings where the fully auto mechanisms has gone, but it works fine in manual mode. I think such a problem would be an uneconomic repair, but having the tall spindle would make it tricky to get the LP on - I expect you have to squeeze together the 3 or 4 tines holding the record in the air. Certainly you'd not want to actually use the stacking feature since that would affect the VTA as each record is added. Some googling on this has suggested the tall spindles don't rotate - not sure if the extra drag on the spindle hole affects the performance or not - any thoughts on that? It looks like short spindles were supplied with some Technics tables, but I imagine if they are not installed they are long lost.

Dan

If you like the PL-71, then you could ramp things up a few notches and get a PL-50L2 or 70L2. I love my 70 and the Denon 103R has never been happier than in this 12" arm. The japs tried to keep these for themselves back in the early 80's so they're like hens teeth in europe, but come up occasionally on HifiDo.

pl70.jpg

That 70 looks fab - sure it's no slouch in the sonics dept either ;)

looks similar to the Denon 100 DD I heard at Jeff (audiomods) Spall's place. The sound was staggeringly good.

Quick question in between:
Which arms can I mount on a Pl-71 or Pl-51 without too much of a hassle?

SME 3009? Rega 200?

Joel,

I'm just used to old style manual tables. Also, I've seen several listings where the fully auto mechanisms has gone, but it works fine in manual mode. I think such a problem would be an uneconomic repair, but having the tall spindle would make it tricky to get the LP on - I expect you have to squeeze together the 3 or 4 tines holding the record in the air. Certainly you'd not want to actually use the stacking feature since that would affect the VTA as each record is added. Some googling on this has suggested the tall spindles don't rotate - not sure if the extra drag on the spindle hole affects the performance or not - any thoughts on that? It looks like short spindles were supplied with some Technics tables, but I imagine if they are not installed they are long lost.

Dan

The Technics autochange turntables all came with a short single play spindle and it is most often the tall changer spindles that get lost over the years (speaks the voice of experience who took ages to find one for his own SL-1960!).

Remember also that it is only the model numbers that end in '-50' or '-60' that are autochangers, The likes of the SL-1300, SL-1600 and SL-1900 are simply fully automatic single play types.

i got interested with direct drives and currently spin a micro seiki dd 40. in the cupboard i have a yamaha 10 and 7 and a denon something or other, all DDs, with their original tonearms. All 4 combined still cost cheaper than a budget-setup LP12, and slightly more than a used Rega P9, both of which i also have somewhere in my cluttered mess. i need to conduct a shoot out in my basement.

DD's have more snap

but they're not as spacey/airy?(nice) as a proper LP12.

There was a brand new 'old stock' from the 70's, SP10 mkII on ebay a few days ago, still boxed, with detailed pics of it's as new condition. Sold for £2-3K, which is a little on the steep side. they're fashionable at the mo though ...

advertisement

Back