advertisement

Vintage basic starter system..

madmike

I feel much better now, I really do...
Just acquired a basic system comprising Leak Sandwich 200 speakers, Rotel 310 amp and a Rotel tuner to match, Realistic tape deck (no sniggering at the back there) and (drum roll) a Garrard Zero 100 TT
My main interest is in the Garrard deck. Does anyone have any experience of these?
I wont have pictures until delivery next week.

Just acquired a basic system comprising Leak Sandwich 200 speakers, Rotel 310 amp and a Rotel tuner to match, Realistic tape deck (no sniggering at the back there) and (drum roll) a Garrard Zero 100 TT
My main interest is in the Garrard deck. Does anyone have any experience of these?
I wont have pictures until delivery next week.

Bought a Zero 100SB in 1972 as part of my first ever hifi system. With hindsight, some very clever design and some pretty shoddy build quality in places, but as I'd saved up for over 2 years for the system, I remember it quite fondly. My old man took it back on a plane from London which must have been a pain in the arse – rather larger box than I'd anticipated. Quite a few variations over the years, there will be plenty of info, manuals etc online.

Replaced it in 1975 with a Technics SL120/SME 3009 which was a whole other world in terms of fit & finish, albeit at considerably higher cost. I have it in my head the Garrard was around 70 quid including an upgrade to a Shure M75ED II.

No direct experience, though IIRC there are two versions. I think the white one is idler drive, the grey one belt drive. Always felt they were cool looking things, especially the white one. I’ll be interested in what you find. It is potentially a decent little system.

In Garrard parlance of the day, SB meant single play (as opposed auto changer) and Belt drive (as opposed idler).

The zero 100 models were very well built, and in comparable cost to the 401 model during their reign during the early 1970s.

They are invariably now in need of some servicing and fettling, usually suffering from the congealed grease, but can be easy fixes.

They were capable of working well with decent cartridges of the day, such as the Shure M75, M95 - or V15 III series if your pocket was deep enough.

Vinyl Engine and Vintage Radio Forum are your best choice for more information.

It should provide you with some challenges, but very good rewards.

I still have two slightly later Garrard decks in my collection, both of which are still providing sterling service.

Now I have the stuff in my car, I have mis-identified the turntable, which is in fact a Garrard is a Synchro-Lab 75 B...not one I have ever seen before.

I bought a Rotel RT-850-L tuner way back (still got it), if your tuner is anything like that it will be very good.

If you want a vintage amp upgrade then the A&R A60 is an excellent choice, and yes I still have mine.

advertisement

Back