advertisement

Video streamer

cubastreet

Espresso Fiend
I'm looking for a cheap device to stream video from my android phone to a projector with HDMI input.

There's no wifi, only mobile data so chromecast won't work, nor will my Raspberry pi with KODI.

Any ideas?

When using a fire TV stick away from home I set the phone to create a mobile hot spot - works locally as well as providing internet access. Portable printer works the same way.

Can't be certain that a Chromecast will work like that but I would expect it to.

Jim

Can you cast media stored on your phone to the fire stick? They're only $20 at the moment so that would be a great option.

I'm pretty sure chromecast is like KODI in that your phone has to be on the same wireless network to control/stream to it, but you can't turn Wi-Fi on and connect to your own hotspot.

Edit: I found a guide to cast android to firestick and it looked perfect until I read
Note: Your Android phone and Firestick should be connected to the same WiFi network to cast.

Usually the video content is downloaded from Amazon Prime to a Fire tablet in our case, using the domestic internet connection before we travel.

When we are away, with the phone set up as a wireless hotspot, the Fire tablet and the Fire tv both connect to the hotspot and the content runs on the tablet but can be shared to the bigger screen for viewing. So far as I can tell no mobile data is consumed while viewing.

I'm sorry I have no idea whether third party (i.e. not Amazon) content would work the same way.

Jim

That makes sense - the tablet can control the TV as it's on the same wireless network.

I only have the phone and thought it would automatically be part of the network it creates, but that isn't the case.

Found this -

https://www.itpro.co.uk/mobile/28299/how-to-use-chromecast-without-wi-fi

and this -

https://www.lifewire.com/use-chromecast-without-wi-fi-4174601

It would be good if someone who uses this method could confirm it works before you buy I guess - perhaps if we keep the thread alive someone else will see it:)

Jim

Thanks, that looks promising, I didn't know they'd added that feature. I'll check it out.

Re: the usb to HDMI cable - that only works if your phone/tablet supports mobile hi-def link (MHL) which my phone doesn't.

advertisement

Back