advertisement

Very occasional click sounds with Qobuz?

JTC

PFM Villager...
From time to time I get a short, staccato click - a little like a vinyl click - when listening to streaming audio with Qobuz (set to 24/192 or 24/96). It happened with the SBT/LMS and happens with the Bluesound Node 2i, so it's unlikely to be the streamer, nor the amp or speakers. Could be the DAC - which is fully compatible with 24/96 or /192 and connected via coax digital to the streamer - or a quirk of streaming/Qobuz.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm not sure if it's Qobuz or my DAC, but I've never had this with any other digital source. It doesn't seem to do it with Radio Paradise on FLAC, and it's not frequent or predictable enough to see if there's anything on the DAC display when it happens. It's not a big problem, but it would be good to know if it's Qobuz and not my kit. Or if it is my kit, why it is happening (brief drop-out of data? something else?).

I run a lot of Qobuz though a Mac Mini (Roon) into a Project DAC pre S2 thingy. I do not recall ever hearing any 'clicks'

I use/have used Qobuz through Roon, through LMS and a Touch, straight from a laptop, from an iPad and from an iPhone, and have never experienced clicks while playing music. Does it happen at the start of a track, in which case it might have something to do with switching sample rates? Or in the middle of tracks, in which case it could be a network issue? Is it just with high res like 24/192?

I’m using Qobuz with my Auralic streamer Wi-Fi with no issues. I don’t think its Qobuz at fault.

It’s not regular enough to spot a pattern. Never had any clicking issues from any other digital source.

I’ve had clicks with very occasionally, was with an Allo Sig USB, perfect to SONCOZ and DAC Magic, ironically with their new Rev DAC I got random clicks playing Qobuz and local Hi Res. The rarity and random nature of the pop/click makes it a pain to troubleshoot cos you second guess everything and start messing with IT as well as cables/power etc.

It sounds to me like you are losing packets or dropping erroneous samples. Are you connected via wi-fi or ethernet?

Still, that's odd to me because Qobuz uses TCP, a protocol that ensures error correction, so I would think that you would suffer longer pauses due to waiting to fill some data buffers rather than single packets being dropped. Unless the drop-outs really are just brief buffering pauses.

It sounds to me like you are losing packets or dropping erroneous samples. Are you connected via wi-fi or ethernet?

Still, that's odd to me because Qobuz uses TCP, a protocol that ensures error correction, so I would think that you would suffer longer pauses due to waiting to fill some data buffers rather than single packets being dropped. Unless the drop-outs really are just brief buffering pauses.
Gigabit ethernet.

Does this happen with other streaming services too? If so check the connection to the dac - it may be the cable/connection, especialy if using optical as connections not brilliant so worth double checking everything is in order

Any chance the static/drop outs coincide with the solenoid on a fridge or freezer activating, or something like a central heating system firing up?

Any chance the static/drop outs coincide with the solenoid on a fridge or freezer activating, or something like a central heating system firing up?
It’s not impossible but surprising if it only affects Qobuz and nothing else.

I would switch off your fridge and freezer for the duration of listening to see if that is the cause.

I get occasional clicks from my new AEG Fridge Freezer while playing Vinyl, although admittedly i havent noticed it on streaming.

JTC I have come to the conclusion you are never going to be satisfied with any item of hifi sorry to say. You seem doomed, you seem to be looking for audio nirvana and if you found it I'd guarantee you still wouldn't be happy about something.

could apply to a lot of us I reckon.

advertisement

Back