advertisement

Verve Acoustic Sounds Series Reissues

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. This thread is about the Verve record label's reissue series of classic jazz albums not the band The Verve or their acoustic output.
he was quite possibly attempting humour.

he was quite possibly attempting humour.

As it wasn't in the least bit funny, I never thought of that. My bad.

200.gif

Anyone got the AS Mingus x 5 yet. I passed on it as my UK mono original sounds spectacular.

I see there are a few complaints on the Hoffman forum about this recently released AS Verve stereo reissue regarding wow distortion or possibly an out tune piano on the ‘Mood Indigo’ track. I’m going with out of tune piano as I can hear this on my 1965 UK original. It doesn’t really bother me though and that’s the only track I here it on. It sort of fits with the acerbic tone of Charlie Mariano’s Alto elsewhere on the album especially on the preceding track ‘Celia’. So I wouldn’t be put off if you see this.

I have the Minus Black Saint & the Sinner Lady on preorder for 19th of this month. I have good fairly early copy of this, but I thought I’d take a punt on the AS reissue to see if it is better.

I’m holding on this one. I’ve got the ‘80s MCA DMM issue in the nice tip-on gatefold sleeve and it sounds great to me, really dynamic and alive. I compared it to the Speakers Corner reissue and far preferred it (the SC was too warm and soft for me, it sounded beautiful, but lacked the impact).

I’ve got an RVG-stamped US stereo original of Black Saint so absolutely nothing to be done there!

I’ll be in for Crescent though when that appears. Still a bit tempted by Blues & The Abstract Truth too even though I’ve got a nice Japanese copy.

My Black Saint is a 1981 MCA as well and sounds pretty good so your probably right in that is good enough. Some people on Hoffman also thought that Mingus X5 was slightly softer (warmer) than the AP 2x45 reissue and an SACD as well. I’ll leave my preorder for this one so as to have a basis for future comparisons.

I have an original US RVG stamped Crescent so I’m passing on that one.

I've got Mingus x5 and think it sounds fabulous. My comparisons are a Impulse CD and a promotional MCA compilation "Great Moments with Charles Mingus" that I picked up for £1 in the 80s - at least according the price scrawled on the sleeve in black felt tip. This includes Mingus x 5 and Black Saint but Black Saint is book-ended by extracts from Mingus plays Piano which, while interesting, breaks up the integrity of the record.

The Acoustic Sound of Mingus x5 is an improvement on each of the versions i had previously - the sound of each instrument is fuller, richer and has more character which is exactly what I needed. It is a bit warmer sounding by comparison but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Black Saint is on order for next week.

I've got Mingus x5 and think it sounds fabulous. My comparisons are a Impulse CD and a promotional MCA compilation "Great Moments with Charles Mingus" that I picked up for £1 in the 80s - at least according the price scrawled on the sleeve in black felt tip. This includes Mingus x 5 and Black Saint but Black Saint is book-ended by extracts from Mingus plays Piano which, while interesting, breaks up the integrity of the record.

The Acoustic Sound of Mingus x5 is an improvement on each of the versions i had previously - the sound of each instrument is fuller, richer and has more character which is exactly what I needed. It is a bit warmer sounding by comparison but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Black Saint is on order for next week.
Yes I have that double ‘Great Moments with Charles Mingus’ 1981 (US export copy) compilation as well. I think I paid more than a £1 new in 1981, but probably less than £5 :rolleyes: It sounds pretty good as well, but on Mingus x5 not as good as my OG mono. So I’m looking forward to The AS Black Saint for a 3x comparison.

Yes I have that double ‘Great Moments with Charles Mingus’ 1981 (US export copy) compilation as well. I think I paid more than a £1 new in 1981, but probably less than £5 :rolleyes: It sounds pretty good as well, but on Mingus x5 not as good as my OG mono. So I’m looking forward to The AS Black Saint for a 3x comparison.

I'm quite looking forward to having the single LPs with decent covers but then I have more money than sense. I replace Ah Um with the RSD version last year as I "only" had a decent enough sounding CBS I Love Jazz edition from the old days when people thought reissuing a classic record in a totally s**t sleeve without any original artwork or notes would be acceptable.

Its odd that now you can get decent reproductions of sleeves with poor quality CD rips that sound dire. A decent sleeve with a decent pressing doesn't seem to much to ask, does it?

I’m holding on this one. I’ve got the ‘80s MCA DMM issue in the nice tip-on gatefold sleeve and it sounds great to me, really dynamic and alive. I compared it to the Speakers Corner reissue and far preferred it (the SC was too warm and soft for me, it sounded beautiful, but lacked the impact).
The new AS Mingus 5x sounds a lot more natural than the Speakers Corner version.

I don't suppose anyone has compared the new AS Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus (I just love saying it 5 times) with the Analogue Productions 45RPM version from 2009?

Here’s Chad doing his thing, he lets us know what to expect through 2022. Pretty conservative as expected, though nice to see the Roy Haynes in there. I’ll be having that one for sure.

PS I caved-in and ordered Blues And The Abstract Truth to assess against my Japanese copy… it is one of my favourite albums and if nothing else it gets me the other (better IMO) cover design.

I’m gonna talk like Chad every time I pick up a jazz album.
Not a lot for me on the 2022 schedule…phew…

I must say I do love those two Oscar Peterson albums but I don't think I can justify getting them both on vinyl. I might get tempted though.

@Tony L

Thanks for posting that vid Tony. I think I’m going to get both Oscar Peterson albums, plus a few of the Coltrane ones to compare as I have high quality Japanese pressings of most of them. If these sound good enough at 33rpm it could convince me to keep them in favour of my 45rpm ORG versions which are worth quite a lot now.

That’s what I’m planning to do with Crescent, which is one of my favourite Coltrane albums. I've got the ORG and it sounds fabulous, but I just hate the 2x45 one track a side thing, so I plan to get the Acoustic Sounds and stick the ORG (which is worth a fair bit now) in the shop! I’ve got decent copies of the Coltrane/Ellington and Hawkins, and I’m not bothered about Village Vanguard as the complete 4xCD box restores the complete performances to how they should be and sounds great. So, Crescent and the Roy Haynes for me. I’ve got a UK stereo original of Peterson’s Night Trane, I’ll maybe think about We Get Requests, but I’m not that bothered about that one as I’ve got it on CD and the later MPS (For My Friends) era is peak-Peterson IMO.

What this series needs is a bit of Archie Shepp......purely selfish as some of my Shepp vinyl is sounding a bit tired and I resort to playing CDs (which aren’t bad).

And lots of Pharaoh titles have been out of print for 20+ years... I guess they know what sells but you'd think with his recent raised profile they'd be able to flog plenty of those.

The Roy Haynes seems an odd choice. Great record but it was reissued by Impulse in 2019.

I’d love to see the Pharoah Sanders, Sun Ra, Archie Shepp, Alice Coltrane side of the Impulse catalogue given the treatment they so deserve, but I suspect we’ll be waiting a while for that. Chad seems very conservative which is why I was surprised to see the Roy Haynes (which prominently features Roland Kirk).

advertisement

Back