Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Verifying a dealer. Has anyone heard of Audio Visual Alliance Ltd

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by scottcarpenter, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Jamie Newton

Jamie Newton New Member

Definitely a Scam. I wish I had come here earlier as I'm out nearly $10k for a DCS Bartok still being advertised. Shame on me for falling for the scam, no excuses. I've reported the fraud to my bank and to Action Fraud UK. They advertise on Reverb.com too ( whom I have alerted ). Little hope of my money being recovered but I do hope that they are caught and prosecuted.

szczemirek likes this.
  2. flutteringwow

flutteringwow Platinum Ears

More details please if you may

3. marktr

marktr Registered User

For provanance, I contacted AVA, asking for the serial number of The Kondo amp they were advertising. No response to date, which is hardly surprising.
    Very sorry to hear your bad news Jamie, truly sickening! I hope whoever did this to you gets ‘taken to the cleaners’!
    More to the point, I hope you get all
    your money returned.

4. effinity

effinity pfm Member

Extremely sorry to hear of this Jamie!

5. Funk

Funk pfm Member

Any company I sold kit to providing my name and contact info to some random who wanted me to 'confirm' anything would be a company I would never use ever again. It would be a horrendous breach of GDPR.

6. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

I hadn't considered the GDPR implications. However, if I was legitimately trading in, or selling a high-end piece of kit to a respected dealer, then I would happily have no problem with the dealer putting a perspective buyer in contact with me to confirm its history authenticity etc.

Jamie, I'm extremely sorry to read of your situation. I hope you are reimbursed in full.

7. Central Audio

Central Audio Trade Central Audio

I am sorry to say this but it won't even be investigated, that is why you are directed to action fraud.

sideshowbob likes this.
  8. Funk

Funk pfm Member

Fair play, it's not something I would do. As far as I'd be concerned, it's the dealer's job to confirm authenticity and history prior to buying it from me and then the responsibility lies with them, not with me. There's a couple of things that would also make that problematic; how many people calling you to ask about it would you tolerate? What if the equipment has been mis-treated or accidentally damaged since it left your possession?

It's down to the dealer to allay a buyer's concerns, not you (unless you get a commission for helping them sell it)!

Jamie, I'm also sorry to hear you got scammed. Whilst unlikely, I hope that somehow you're able to get your money back.

9. adamski505

adamski505 Active Member

i live in Barnet
    i'll go give them a knock

Andrew1401 and Stuart Frazer like this.
  10. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

I wouldn't be underwriting the purchase - that would be between the dealer and the buyer.

11. Funk

Funk pfm Member

That's kind of my point; any information you could give to a potential customer of the dealer is actually not particularly useful to the process.

I'm just saying I wouldn't do it or be willing to get involved in any way. Same as if I'd part-ex'd a car to a dealer - I wouldn't want all and sundry asking me about it; if I wanted that hassle, I'd have sold it privately.

12. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

I think it can be useful to a purchaser. My partner once bought a used car from a main dealer 150 miles away with warranty etc. A week later, there was an issue with the ABS system which needed the main car full wiring loom swapping out to fix, about £2.5k Dealer was a nightmare. I found the previous owners details (might have been the log book or details in the maintenance pack paperwork) and I called them to ask if the issue was there when they part-exchanged the car. It was a 2 min phone call and they helpfully confirmed they had no issues with the car. I told them they couldn't have timed their new purchase any better and thanked them. Eventually, with no fix in sight, we got a refund on the car and it was left with a dealer close to us who had diagnosed the issue. It was a nightmare sorting with Nissan. Never again.

13. graystoke4

graystoke4 pfm Member

14. TheFlash

TheFlash Superhero of Sound

Why can’t you take the company to court for breach of contract? Isn’t there still such a thing as the Small Claims Court even though this is hardly a small claim? I’d speak to Citizens Advice as soon as possible.

szczemirek likes this.
  15. flutteringwow

flutteringwow Platinum Ears

What company? He hasn't said it was company he was scammed by.

I suspect it was just a fraudulent listing somewhere by a scammer, that they also listed on Reverb at some point.

16. lawrence001

lawrence001 pfm Member

Did you pay by bank transfer? Take a screenshot of the ad and other pages on the website that show it looks genuine and you took reasonable care, and you might get your money back if they're members of the voluntary scheme.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/scams/check-if-you-can-get-your-money-back-after-a-scam/

TheFlash likes this.
  17. TheFlash

See above. It’s a company, a company which files its accounts every year with Companies House. Did you read the thread?

18. lawrence001

lawrence001 pfm Member

How do you know the website is anything to do with the long established company? There are lots of websites selling dodgy financial products that steal the identify of a company to give them credibility.

The fact the website gives a link to Companies House only makes me more suspicious, how many other dealers do you know who do that?

19. Central Audio

Central Audio Trade Central Audio

Check the company assets against the stock on the web site LOL

flutteringwow likes this.
  20. TheFlash

Our victim @Jamie Newton handed over his money by bank transfer. There is a high probability that when he set up a new payee his bank would check the name of the account and highlight a mismatch (most banks now do this). So unless he overrode the warning, he’s paid the company in question.
    I’m guessing of course, Lawrence, hence suggestion to seek advice.