advertisement

Ventilation debate!?

The most efficient way of exhausting odour or fumes is to use local ventilation at the "workplace". This removes just the fumes rather than sucking air from the whole house. Fume cupboard type arrangement. if you are working in a corner away from the direct path between the door and the extractor duct you will be sucking lots of your nice warm air from the rest of the house rather than the fumes. Think carefully how you wish to deal with the problems. WC compartments need overall ventilation, cookers have cooker hoods to ventilate locally rather than sucking "good" air.

Paul

I was just jesting, & embarrassing myself with my childish sense of humour.

John

I'm hoping pfm can act as supreme court in a difference of opinion between my wife and I. I have to fit a ventilation pipe in a darkroom. I think that it makes no difference if the actual motor of the ventilator is at one end of the 5 meter long pipe, she says that it is more efficient if it is at or near the sucking end.
Any thoughts?

Do you have an entertainment license for this venue?

The most efficient way of exhausting odour or fumes is to use local ventilation at the "workplace". This removes just the fumes rather than sucking air from the whole house. Fume cupboard type arrangement. if you are working in a corner away from the direct path between the door and the extractor duct you will be sucking lots of your nice warm air from the rest of the house rather than the fumes. Think carefully how you wish to deal with the problems. WC compartments need overall ventilation, cookers have cooker hoods to ventilate locally rather than sucking "good" air.

My thoughts exactly. Why suck air out of the whole room rather than from where the smelly fumes are coming from? Hence the "intake" from just behind and above the trays of chemicals. Also so less power will be more effective.

I expect the fan is likewise doing nothing with the door open ... the moisture just escapes through the door if it's open?
No, the fan inlet is positioned just above the shower and I can see the steam getting sucked into oblivion. Much better to extract from source than once it has spread all over the place. Sawdust is another prime example of this principle.

Invest in odourless chemicals and save all the hassle of ventilation in the first place! I used to use the utility room as a darkroom (and may do so again in the future) and just used to open the door into the kitchen to let some air in between doing prints. Odourless chemicals were a boon, particularly fixer.

You shower in sawdust?

But seriously. I am close to completing (And about bloody time!.. I hear you cry..) a refurb on a small bathroom. I have already purchased a Marley 4" fan, but now I can't make up my mind whether to fit it in the ceiling and duct it out of the nearest soffit, or just bash a hole through the wall close to ceiling height.

Views?

You shower in sawdust?

But seriously. I am close to completing (And about bloody time!.. I hear you cry..) a refurb on a small bathroom. I have already purchased a Marley 4" fan, but now I can't make up my mind whether to fit it in the ceiling and duct it out of the nearest soffit, or just bash a hole through the wall close to ceiling height.

Views?

Definitely through the soffit and facing downwards so that no rain or other rubbish can blow into it.

I prefer sticking them through the wall and having a cowl on the outside.

If you can get easy access to the soffit and it's easy to duct along the joists it might be OK.

advertisement

Back