advertisement

Velux windows, or anyone else?

Had 6 Velux units fitted on our loft conversion. One was problematic and the customer service could not have been more helpful. Highly recommended.

We installed a Velux skylight over ten years ago. Stands up to the very cold Canadian snow.
It's got a solar powered remote and rain sensor. Closes up at the first signs of rain.

A couple of times it would not open - but the installer showed me the small hole in the frame that is the "reset" button.
Not in the customer manual.

Works great and in the current hot wether - it's takes up the hot air from the stairway like a chimney.

Thumbs up for velux.

Six Velux in the house (technically a dorma bungalow, but calling a seven bedroom home my own three bed semi would fit in 10 times over a bungalow seems wrong) my parents built in 1991. One has had a replacement blind, one has had the flashing underneath it repaired, I do not believe the roof window units themselves have had any attention apart from the odd lick of paint and a bit of lubricant when they were feeling a bit stiff. All are still working fine! The same cannot be said for the wooden casement windows elsewhere in the house which have had to be replaced upstairs and have had extensive repair downstairs because of rot!

Are they still wooden frames?

The one in the loft at my Mum's lost all its finish, whatever it was, due to UV, it flaked off and then the wood got damp. I had to sand it back and treat it t stop it going completely. It doesn't look great but it was cheaper than letting it rot and having to replace it.

Depends which model you buy, they still make old fashioned pine.

Better to have the white polyurethane as white looks better against white ceilings and will last longer.

https://www.velux.co.uk/professional/products/roof-windows/centre-pivot

When comparing prices online always fully check the part number as what looks like a bargain polyurethane might be pine with the wrong photo...

The house I moved into last year is 25 years old and has six Velux windows. The bathroom ones have needed a bit of sanding and and a coat of varnish where the condensation has attacked the wood. First time I've had Velux and I'm impressed with the build quality.
Previous owners bought the house new and did no decorating or maintenance. If they had given the frames a bit of care they would still look like new I think.

This very day I discovered you can tilt it and take it out.
Very useful for inspecting the flat roof above

If a big one you need 2 people

Nice surprise Velux is so well thought of.
Our builders were not the best

As one who specs all kinds of such things professionally - Velux is sturdy reliable kit; and as so many have said - the value isn't just the fact they can do what you asked the first time (and that is way more than is advertised/on the website!); it is that the whole product range is really well sorted, and supported.

So, years later, you want a new gasket for a thing you has installed 14years ago? No problem. We are having some of the tiles replaced, can we have a new flashing kit? of course. I fitted it then, but would like an automated blind now, due to xxx. No problem; we can also... probably motorise the skylight if you wish.

One of those products, and manufacturers, who do things properly, stand by their products, with kits to support pretty much any aspect of/ installation idea one may need, and with support for the long-term: you get what you pay for, in the best sense.

Although I think Velux are a good product/company I did have some difficulty uprating the glass from as installed.
30 years ago I installed with the top rated glass available, but needed to upgrade with a sealed unit twice as thick as the originals.
The instructions were not the greatest, we struggled with the first one, the others were a doddle.

advertisement

Back