advertisement

Vaughan Williams feature on R3 tonight

Based on the R3 programme I bought the recent Martyn Brabbins recording, it`s extremely good, now I have to listen again the Boult (3 off), Manze, Handley, not Andrew Davis and Preview.

It`s hard being keen on Vaughan Williams....

Based on the R3 programme I bought the recent Martyn Brabbins recording, it`s extremely good, now I have to listen again the Boult (3 off), Manze, Handley, not Andrew Davis and Preview.

Always loved Preview though Previn generally gets my vote.

I listened to Boult LPO on Oxfam vinyl yesterday, from EMI complete set think it was his last recording. Hmm... I don't think he gets the first movement at all, clunky gear changes all over and no flow. But the next 3 movements pretty much nailed.

Surprisingly good sound given the entire symphony is on one LP side!

Picking up on this thread, & following @alanbeeb 's Oxfam vinyl tangent: could someone recommend me..

I'm after a really good recording of VW's Tallis Fantasia on Lp.. but no idea where to start. I mean an older recording I might perhaps find in a thriftstore.

I found an absolutely exceptional performance of this piece on YouTube, & I'd be searching for this if I knew it was recorded & available on vinyl, likely not as just a festival performance.

It's so good I'll add it here. I think it's my favourite piece of music: please: take 20 mins aside, your focal headphones on, & just immerse yourself in this..

^ The classic is John Barbirolli and the Sinfonia of London on EMI - its was re-issued on heavyweight vinyl a few years ago but not sure its still available. Any trip through an Oxfam shop will likely find either this recording or ones by Neville Marriner, Vernon Handley or Adrian Boult which all have pedigree.

quick search on eBay....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...odkw=vaughan+williams+fantasia&_osacat=176985

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
^ The classic is John Barbirolli and the Sinfonia of London on EMI - its was re-issued on heavyweight vinyl a few years ago but not sure its still available. Any trip through an Oxfam shop will likely find either this recording or ones by Neville Marriner, Vernon Handley or Adrian Boult which all have pedigree.

quick search on eBay....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...odkw=vaughan+williams+fantasia&_osacat=176985

Hi alanB, thanks yes Ive just been searching online & see Marriner mentioned, & the Chandos label with Oundjian too.. but I think chandos mainly found on cd.

I'll look out for any Barbirolli, Handley & Marriner ones in my charity shops then.

Thanks.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Martyn Brabbins is doing the 5th symphony on R3 tonight, I`m very impressed with Brabbins RVW and he has done the 5th in his symphony series.... but I need a 15th recording of the 5th Symphony like a hole in the head.

advertisement

Back