advertisement

Vaughan Williams 150th anniversary on R3

I agree finding "The Solent" was quite difficult when I tried recently, I have not had a simple printed list of Albion CDs with the journal, it would be a good idea.

I confess I also find a bit off-putting the tendency on the Albion CDs for them to be a 'variety' of types of material on the same disc. Songs with piano, transcriptions, orchestral, etc, all on the same disc. Often of works I don't know. That's probably find for those 'in the know'. But means taking a punt from my POV as TBH 'song recitals' generally aren't my thing. A with their 'catalogue' it seems to be assuming people already are 'in the know' about RVW. I love his music, but dont know enough to easily navigate this.

IIUC you can buy items as downloads (flac?) but I'm what now is classifiable as 'old fashioned' and prefer CDs I can play and 'own', along with a booklet.

Anyway, although I guess direct from the society might be cheaper for memebrs, I've just ordered the 'Solent' CD from my usual retailer along with some othe items. it'll all keep my ears busy. :)

You make good points. One thing that slightly bothers me is the tendency to give the recordings clever names that have nothing to do with the content - "Beyond My Dream" is a case in point, a superb disc of music written for the performances of some relatively obscure (to me) Greek plays but the name initially conveys little and a true gem could be missed. Perhaps an email to the Albion top Honcho would be in order.

The discs are a little cheaper direct from Albion Records, in addition all of the money goes back to support more recordings.

Ask them if such a list exists. If not and they think it is useful they might make one. That is why such societies can be useful.

I know what you mean about the recital formats. However, there is much of his music which has never been recorded and this is a good way to get such shorter pieces available. That was one of the main reasons the Albion label was started iirc.

I did email about this, but no sign of a list of what I've been trying to find out. Yes, it is good that they record items that haven't been given an airing before. They also seem to do transcriptions for works to other instrumentations, etc.

Overall, though many recordings seem to be compiled by a process of bringing together what various people have decided to work on and perform recently. Hence CDs that mix a diversity of choral/instrumental/etc works and artists on one disc.

Useful for completists who already have a full collection, and for musicians and musicologists as a sort of journal to publish items. But makes choosing individual CDs more difficult for someone like myself. e.g. I'm far more interested in orchestral/instumental works than choral/song. And prefer works as composed by RVW to ones that have been transcribed for some other set of instruments, say.

Combine that with giving such collections 'names' that may not convey the details, and it makes things a bit difficult to acces by a newcomer. I love VW's music but I'm not a musician or a musicologist.

IIUC you can download files. I much prefer having CDs, but if I can find a suitable list (again!) I might give that a try as a way to select the types of works I prefer.

advertisement

Back