advertisement

Vaughan Williams 150th anniversary on R3

Barrymagrec

pfm Member
To mark the 150th anniversary of the birth of Ralph Vaughan Williams this year BBC R3 are doing a month of this weeks composer and various other talk and concerts.

For those not over familiar with the works of of a truly great British 20th century composer there will be much of interest.

If you think you know most of his music Albion Records, the recording arm of the Ralph Vaughan Williams Society has recorded many less well known pieces, have a look, you may be surprised.

https://rvwsociety.com/albionrecords/

Was at the Barbican last Tuesday for the Sea Symphony, Wasps etc..

The conductor let go of his baton at the end of the third movement and it ended up between the second violins and the flautists. For me the Wasps overture was the highlight of the evening though.

BBC R3 are broadcasting a 2006 ENO performance of the opera Sir John in Love Saturday at 6.30.

We saw one of the performances at ENO back then, excellent.

Did Bernstein or Mitropoulos get a mention? Both made good recordings of RVW 4th with NY Phil in 1960s.
Handley RLPO for me.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but some of the broadcasts seem to say that all the symphonies are currently available from the BBC 'Zounds!'. However if so, I can't find BBC web pages for them, so can't find their URLs. Anyone know how to get their pages on a web browser? All I can find is pages on broadcasts that aren't now available - except for a couple that have been within the last 4 weeks.

Alas, that just lists what I've already found. It mainly consists of programs 'about' a given work, etc. i.e. a mix of talk and excerpts/movements. Interesting, and I already have most of the items I'm interested in. But on the main 'Composer of the Week' series I've heard comments that seem to say *all* of the symphonies are available 'on Sounds'. i.e. as complete performances. Thus far I've only found two recent concerts that are, and no sign of others as yet.

I'd recommend the CoW (actually *month* in this case!) progs, and they contain very good examples plus info. But was interested in the apparent availability of complete set of symphonies. Oh well, still great to have what is being made available.

FWIW I've not yet got my printed Proms Guide or checked. With luck we'll have a good conductor+orch pairing this year for *all* the VW symphonies, etc. 8-]

Sadly no. Only Symphonies 1 and 4. Andrew Manze doing No 1 at least though and quite a good selection of his other works but could have done better I thought.

Was useful to go to the RVW soc website. Their main page is a tad 'code bloated', but the site does give some nice links to YT videos. I guess I should join as I've been a Barbirolli Soc member for decades. Lack of 'round tuits'...

The JBS journal - and their CD releases - are also pretty good. Although the real joy recently was the 100+ CD box set that Warner released of all of JB's old EMI, etc, recordings. The 78s/early-LP versions were cleaned up remarkably. Alas, some of the later stereo EMIs still have some 'grain' due to poor early coversions, etc. Fortunately, not as poor as some of the 'shovelware' on the EMI VW box set of some years ago where EMI just re-used some early conversions that were poor... and had minimal 'documentation'.

FWIW I produced the initial websites for the JBS and Mike Dutton. Long time ago, now, though!

I'll join the RVW soc.

I was (am) quite tempted by that Barbirolli set but I already have many of the recordings and so many others I`d never get to listen to most of it.

Several Ethel Smyth pieces at the Proms this year, which is good.

I've now written my letter ready to be posted tomorrow to join the RVW Soc. :) The 'demo' YT videos they link to I've used to try via audio-only on my DAP + headphones as this makes listening a bit easier. But the videos are nice as well. Alas, only circa 128k aac typically, but good as tasters. Was really pleased with the examples that are 'disoveries' for me. e.g. "The Solent" is superb. Am I imagining that some of the paintings have images of people in the clouds?

I have caught a few of the R3 Vaughan Williams pieces on my car travels recently. All reminded me that I must investigate further - there is some tremendous stuff there. I have had the Antartica symphony on LP for a long time - can't quite remember who it was by - Bournemouth SO I think.

advertisement

Back