advertisement

Vast Brexit thread merge part VI

Of course they could.
Foreign students will gladly pay and some, like Gibraltarians, get it paid by their government anyway.

I doubt that was the actual idea, more like it was put around as the idea and the gullible believed it.

Of course I have no insight into whether it was the actual idea, but certainly Ministers were advised that the almost certain outcome would be that all universities would charge £9k.

The problem is partly that all universities want to be perceived as being at least as good as the very best universities (probably admitting grudgingly that Oxbridge are 'better' than the rest), which is clearly nonsensical. Also, science degrees cost more to teach than arts degrees, so the latter effectively subsidise the former in a flat-fee scenario. But the whole system of fees, grants and student loans is an unholy mess, and political considerations work against a coherent solution.

Well the increase in the Fee cap to £9K was accompanied by a massive cut in government funding. Our university used to get around £6M a month from HEFCE in various grants when the fees were £3K - now gets just over a million. Given there is also a drop in the population of 18 year olds at present, funding through fees is also reduced.
We've had years of sub inflation pay rises and restructures - more jobs have been going recently and also being outsourced to India.
Back to Nurses - the government got rid of the NHS Bursaries quite a while back, so they now have to take out student loans.
My wife had thought seriously about re-training as a midwife but the end of the bursary made that an impossibility.

Free in Scotland, for Scottish citizens.

Of course it's not free. Nothing is free. Someone is paying for it and in the case of Scottish University education that would be the UK taxpayers who are providing the 'free' education.

In Scotland education and its funding is
a devolved matter, decided by our elected representatives in the Scottish Parliament -just like NHS Scotland. I suggest if you want better education and health services, you vote for politicians who better represent your views.

Free for all EU citizens too.
Only English, Welsh and NI students pay in Scotland.
Yes I know of Irish students who might not get a place in one of our universities because they are a little shy on points heading off to Scotland to study. It is €3k over here. The Labour party introduced free university education prior to the boom years but austerity kicked in and fees returned.

Any visit we have made to the UK over the last years has left us gobsmacked at the prices for food and university is up there also. Your cars a cheaper hence we all pop over to buy our second hand motors. Also the UK can be quiet good for building items but the cost of living appears to be too high and hard on the most vulnerable.

Would think it is clearly obvious despite whatever failings the Labour party might have they are well worth a punt compared to the Bojo mob

In Scotland education and its funding is
a devolved matter, decided by our elected representatives in the Scottish Parliament -just like NHS Scotland. I suggest if you want better education and health services, you vote for politicians who better represent your views.

Thank you for your voting advice.

I have voted Labour all my life...... who would you suggest I vote for ?

in the case of Scottish University education that would be the UK taxpayers who are providing the 'free' education.

are you suggesting there are no tax-payers in scootland? shirley shome mishtake?

Of course it's not free. Nothing is free. Someone is paying for it and in the case of Scottish University education that would be the UK taxpayers who are providing the 'free' education.

funding is devolved to the Scottish govt.

There are other public services that suffer compared to England for choices made.

i do often wonder why it is that if we are such a drain on the westminster treasury (bless), why are they so reluctant to let us go?

...another rhet. question. the answer chipmonks is well known :)

Usual Remoaner scaremongering - Speaking at a European tourism association (ETOA) event, Louisa Cole WHO?? of K&L Gates WHAT???, who advises on UK immigration law, said the tourism industry may struggle.

funding is devolved to the Scottish govt.

There are other public services that suffer compared to England for choices made.
And as Johnson loves to point out- Scotland is now the highest taxed part of the UK. I voted for it and I pay it.

Usual Remoaner scaremongering - Speaking at a European tourism association (ETOA) event, Louisa Cole WHO?? of K&L Gates WHAT???, who advises on UK immigration law, said the tourism industry may struggle.

https://skift.com/2019/09/16/scotla...hlight-a-post-brexit-uk-worry-outside-london/

https://www.gov.scot/publications/h...impact-negatively-on-scotlands-rural-economy/

https://www.heraldscotland.com/business_hq/17849491.tourists-snub-scotland-brexit-fears/

i know, i know, a small and insignificant part of the majestic and imperial grate brittun. but nevertheless, break a leg. and let me know if you run out of reading material, there's plenty more...

K&L Gates LLP is an AmLaw 100 law firm based in the United States, with international offices in Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East, and South America.[2] Its namesake firms are Kirkpatrick & Lockhart, a Pittsburgh-based firm founded in 1946, and Preston Gates & Ellis, a Seattle firm founded in 1883 whose prominent partners included William H. Gates, Sr., the attorney, philanthropist, and father of Microsoft founder Bill Gates. Kirkpatrick & Lockhart merged with Preston Gates in 2007 to form K&L Gates, LLP.

K&L Gates received a 100% rating in the 2018 Corporate Equality Index compiled by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation, an LGBT advocacy group.[21] In 2016 the Yale Law Women organization included K&L Gates in the top ten family-friendly law firms.[22] Vault.com has described the firm's “great work-life balance” and "pleasant culture" while also noting a "lack of transparency" at the firm.[23]

advertisement

Back