advertisement

Vast Brexit thread merge part VI

The tabloids are dead on their feet, tiny readership compared to the past. I doubt you’ll find anyone under 35 who has ever bought a newspaper of any type, let alone something as dumb as a tabloid. People just don’t use paper news these days. I bet the Daily Mail readership bell-curve averages at 60, the Telegraph about 75. They’ll all be gone in a decade, which in some ways is annoying as I do read the Guardian online now an again.

PS I was watching a Louis Rossmann YouTube video a couple of days ago (Macbook repair/‘right to repair’ activist) and at one point someone asked him could they borrow a pen, he responded “I’m sorry, but I’m under 40!”.

I remember the night of Princess Diana's accident the papers making a collective decision that they'd publish the tabloid-funded paparazzi photo close-ups of her on the back seat if she survived, but not if she died.
Twenty years later we get (Torygraph?) photos of an injured Farage. I suppose we wouldn't have them on PFM if he'd died. Or perhaps we would.

I remember the night of Princess Diana's accident the papers making a collective decision that they'd publish the tabloid-funded paparazzi photo close-ups of her on the back seat if she survived, but not if she died.
Twenty years later we get (Torygraph?) photos of an injured Farage. I suppose we wouldn't have them on PFM if he'd died. Or perhaps we would.

From what I can make out pictures of fatal road accidents, gang shootings, state killings (electric chair etc) in the low-end press were quite normal in the USA in the 40s, 50s and beyond. We have thankfully moved on a little at least in some respects.

Would it be Ok to wish that you had died at birth ?...save us having to read your posts ?...would that be OK in your eyes ?

Who else shall we wish this on ? Can we start a list ?. A list of people whom we merely disagree with that we would like to be dead ?.

Before you start on me..I don't like Farage.
Wouldn't bother me much. Wish whatever you want.

Of course, it might be different if you were a person more in my life, and I thought you meant it. But for the most part, you feel your feelings, and I'll feel mine.

BTW, is it fair to go on as if we wished death on anyone slightly vexing, because we're so callous as to regret the non-death of an infamous seriously-harmful demagogue?

Recall that the OP of this little discussion just wished Mr. F. had died, on a past occasion, in an accident. The thing would be a lot more pointed if he wished he would die, as soon as possible, by any means necessary. A bit of regret for the chance missed in the past, in this gentleman's case, just seems understandable.

We wouldn't. If he'd died then, he would not have been famous enough to be of interest.

George Soros: ‘Brexit hurts both sides – my money was used to educate the British public’
The philanthropist who has spent billions promoting democracy talks populism, Trump and powerful enemies

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...hurts-both-sides-money-educate-british-public

It is now rare for a week to go by without a populist politician painting Soros as a ruthless Bond villain with nefarious plans to reshape the planet. Last year, Trump suggested that Soros might be paying illegal migrants to come to the US; in Turkey, President Erdoğan has called him “a man who assigns people to divide nations and shatter them”; in Italy, Matteo Salvini has claimed Soros wants the country “to become a giant refugee camp because he likes slaves”. Last month, Soros’s financial support for the anti-Brexit Best for Britain group led Jacob Rees-Mogg to call him the “Remoaner-in-chief” in parliament. Nigel Farage has called him “the biggest danger to the entire western world”.

As a reporter based in eastern Europe, I have had a ringside seat to the political hostility Soros has faced over the years. I spent a decade in Russia, where Vladimir Putin blamed him for organising revolutions in neighbouring countries; in 2015, his philanthropic foundations were banned from the country as a “threat to state security”. Last year I moved to Budapest, the city of Soros’s birth, where the far-right Hungarian prime minister, Viktor Orbán, had taken Soros-baiting to a new level, erecting thousands of billboards featuring a cackling Soros, warning Hungarians not to let him “have the last laugh”.

(...)

What sustains him, I ask, particularly given the recent intensity of the attacks he has faced? “It challenges me and therefore it energises me,” he says with a smile, in his still-strong Hungarian accent. “When I look at the list of people, or movements, or countries who are attacking me, it makes me feel I must be doing something right. I’m proud of the enemies I have.”

I don’t particularly think Soros is any kind of angel, what with the shorting sterling years ago etc. But I think I’d be proud of those enemies in his position. Obviously the fact that he’s Jewish has nothing to do with hard-to-extreme right figures such as these not liking him. Nothing at all.

Bloody so and so, coming over here, studying at university and spending money trying to make people aware of information relevant to their democratic choices.

I like these videos of people in Hull talking about Brexit, filmed by a Remainer and fellow resident of the city:

A bit more varied and nuanced than the typical "laugh at the plebs" vox-pops on the news, and closer to my experience of people in my home town of Chesterfield.

So. We have 12 people on the record as being cool with Farage buying it in an accident, and 9 people thinking that's a rotten thing to say. An interesting line of divergence, not one I would have thought of before it happened.

I like these videos of people in Hull talking about Brexit, filmed by a Remainer and fellow resident of the city:

A bit more varied and nuanced than the typical "laugh at the plebs" vox-pops on the news, and closer to my experience of people in my home town of Chesterfield.
I found the second of those vids where the guy speaks about getting cut off the dole after missing an appointment due to illness quite sad. I don't know how anyone who might have watched it could vote for the Tories/Lib-Dems unless they were a selfish, heartless c***.

So. We have 12 people on the record as being cool with Farage buying it in an accident, and 9 people thinking that's a rotten thing to say. An interesting line of divergence, not one I would have thought of before it happened.

This is an internet thread - there is no reason to believe everything people here say than to believe anything the Prime Minister says.

I recognise writer Michelle Dee and artist Anna Bean in those videos. I like Anna's comment to Boris in the conker one 'just absolutely fcvk off'.

Bit of an HU5 postcode skew in these vids, though. Where my house is. Michelle and Anna both live in HU5. It's very liberal and arty and studenty round there. They should have gone up to North Hill for a proper bit of rough.

# Stop Funding Hate.

Here's the twitter policy. My guess is that after a few more politicians are murdered, they'll be included as a protected group.

Wishing, hoping or calling for serious harm on a person or group of people

We prohibit content that wishes, hopes, promotes, or expresses a desire for death, serious and lasting bodily harm, or serious disease against an entire protected category and/or individuals who may be members of that category. This includes, but is not limited to:

• Hoping that someone dies as a result of a serious disease, e.g., “I hope you get cancer and die.”
  • Wishing for someone to fall victim to a serious accident, e.g., “I wish that you would get run over by a car next time you run your mouth.”
  • Saying that a group of individuals deserve serious physical injury, e.g., “If this group of protesters don’t shut up, they deserve to be shot.”

Reactions: Joe
# Stop Funding Hate.

Here's the twitter policy. My guess is that after a few more politicians are murdered, they'll be included as a protected group.

We prohibit content that wishes, hopes, promotes, or expresses a desire for death, serious and lasting bodily harm, or serious disease against an entire protected category and/or individuals who may be members of that category. This includes, but is not limited to:

• Hoping that someone dies as a result of a serious disease, e.g., “I hope you get cancer and die.”
  • Wishing for someone to fall victim to a serious accident, e.g., “I wish that you would get run over by a car next time you run your mouth.”
  • Saying that a group of individuals deserve serious physical injury, e.g., “If this group of protesters don’t shut up, they deserve to be shot.”
Common sense. Normal people don't go around wishing harm on others.

# Stop Funding Hate.

There is a world of difference, however, between wishing and saying:
'I hope X has a bad accident and dies'

and saying:
'perhaps it would have been better if X had died in that bad accident they (already) had'.

I personally find it difficult to understand why people get so exercised about the latter; but it is clear that the former is not acceptable (except, perhaps, when clearly said in jest).

From what I can make out pictures of fatal road accidents, gang shootings, state killings (electric chair etc) in the low-end press were quite normal in the USA in the 40s, 50s and beyond. We have thankfully moved on a little at least in some respects.

Pictures of mass shooting victims and car accidents might focus some minds on gun control and distracted driving.

You have to be worse than desperate to wish people dead because of politics.

Escalation of hate language affects all with a voice. Just listening to Layla Moran and Isabelle Oakeshott on Question Time. Two women with very opposite views but neither should be verbally abused and threatened like they have.

Brutalising political debate intimidates those wishing for our best interests. Its very sad that conscientious MPs have to leave their jobs because of it.

You have to be worse than desperate to wish people dead because of politics.

Escalation of hate language affects all with a voice. Just listening to Layla Moran and Isabelle Oakeshott on Question Time. Two women with very opposite views but neither should be verbally abused and threatened like they have.

Brutalising political debate intimidates those wishing for our best interests. Its very sad that conscientious MPs have to leave their jobs because of it.
Or just a nasty piece of work.

Reactions: Joe
Without wishing harm on anyone I'm rather more interested in the sliding doors/ alternative history side of things.

If he'd perished would there have been a referendum, if so would leave have won ?Would the Johnson be PM now ?

advertisement

Back