1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Vast Brexit thread merge part VI

Discussion in 'off topic' started by TheDecameron, Nov 1, 2019.

1. clamnell

clamnell pfm Member

I remember the night of Princess Diana's accident the papers making a collective decision that they'd publish the tabloid-funded paparazzi photo close-ups of her on the back seat if she survived, but not if she died.
    Twenty years later we get (Torygraph?) photos of an injured Farage. I suppose we wouldn't have them on PFM if he'd died. Or perhaps we would.

2. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

When in a hole, stop digging. You made a shitty remark.

doctorf and clifftaylor like this.
  3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

From what I can make out pictures of fatal road accidents, gang shootings, state killings (electric chair etc) in the low-end press were quite normal in the USA in the 40s, 50s and beyond. We have thankfully moved on a little at least in some respects.

4. DonQuixote99

DonQuixote99 pfm Member

Wouldn't bother me much. Wish whatever you want.

Of course, it might be different if you were a person more in my life, and I thought you meant it. But for the most part, you feel your feelings, and I'll feel mine.

BTW, is it fair to go on as if we wished death on anyone slightly vexing, because we're so callous as to regret the non-death of an infamous seriously-harmful demagogue?

Recall that the OP of this little discussion just wished Mr. F. had died, on a past occasion, in an accident. The thing would be a lot more pointed if he wished he would die, as soon as possible, by any means necessary. A bit of regret for the chance missed in the past, in this gentleman's case, just seems understandable.

ff1d1l likes this.
  5. DonQuixote99

DonQuixote99 pfm Member

We wouldn't. If he'd died then, he would not have been famous enough to be of interest.

6. Dave***t

Dave***t pfm Member

I don’t particularly think Soros is any kind of angel, what with the shorting sterling years ago etc. But I think I’d be proud of those enemies in his position. Obviously the fact that he’s Jewish has nothing to do with hard-to-extreme right figures such as these not liking him. Nothing at all.

Bloody so and so, coming over here, studying at university and spending money trying to make people aware of information relevant to their democratic choices.

ff1d1l likes this.
  7. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

I recall there was much talk of ERG types, and hedge funds, shorting stocks and Sterling in prospect of Brexit on 31/10. Can we hope they all took a bath? Preferably an icy one.

8. Enfield boy

Enfield boy pfm Member

If they did Boris probably would find himself in a ditch!

9. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

I like these videos of people in Hull talking about Brexit, filmed by a Remainer and fellow resident of the city:

A bit more varied and nuanced than the typical "laugh at the plebs" vox-pops on the news, and closer to my experience of people in my home town of Chesterfield.

rbrown, andrewd, matthewr and 5 others like this.
  10. DonQuixote99

DonQuixote99 pfm Member

So. We have 12 people on the record as being cool with Farage buying it in an accident, and 9 people thinking that's a rotten thing to say. An interesting line of divergence, not one I would have thought of before it happened.

11. maxflinn

maxflinn pfm Member

I found the second of those vids where the guy speaks about getting cut off the dole after missing an appointment due to illness quite sad. I don't know how anyone who might have watched it could vote for the Tories/Lib-Dems unless they were a selfish, heartless c***.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  12. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

This is an internet thread - there is no reason to believe everything people here say than to believe anything the Prime Minister says.

13. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

I recognise writer Michelle Dee and artist Anna Bean in those videos. I like Anna's comment to Boris in the conker one 'just absolutely fcvk off'.

Bit of an HU5 postcode skew in these vids, though. Where my house is. Michelle and Anna both live in HU5. It's very liberal and arty and studenty round there. They should have gone up to North Hill for a proper bit of rough.

14. clamnell

clamnell pfm Member

# Stop Funding Hate.

Here's the twitter policy. My guess is that after a few more politicians are murdered, they'll be included as a protected group.

Wishing, hoping or calling for serious harm on a person or group of people

We prohibit content that wishes, hopes, promotes, or expresses a desire for death, serious and lasting bodily harm, or serious disease against an entire protected category and/or individuals who may be members of that category. This includes, but is not limited to:

• Hoping that someone dies as a result of a serious disease, e.g., “I hope you get cancer and die.”
    • Wishing for someone to fall victim to a serious accident, e.g., “I wish that you would get run over by a car next time you run your mouth.”
    • Saying that a group of individuals deserve serious physical injury, e.g., “If this group of protesters don’t shut up, they deserve to be shot.”

Joe likes this.
  15. Brian

Common sense. Normal people don't go around wishing harm on others.

16. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

There is a world of difference, however, between wishing and saying:
    'I hope X has a bad accident and dies'

and saying:
    'perhaps it would have been better if X had died in that bad accident they (already) had'.

I personally find it difficult to understand why people get so exercised about the latter; but it is clear that the former is not acceptable (except, perhaps, when clearly said in jest).

17. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

Pictures of mass shooting victims and car accidents might focus some minds on gun control and distracted driving.

18. Minio

Minio pfm Member

You have to be worse than desperate to wish people dead because of politics.

Escalation of hate language affects all with a voice. Just listening to Layla Moran and Isabelle Oakeshott on Question Time. Two women with very opposite views but neither should be verbally abused and threatened like they have.

Brutalising political debate intimidates those wishing for our best interests. Its very sad that conscientious MPs have to leave their jobs because of it.

Nick_G, maxflinn, Joe and 2 others like this.
  19. Brian

Or just a nasty piece of work.

Joe likes this.
  20. roman

roman pfm Member

Without wishing harm on anyone I'm rather more interested in the sliding doors/ alternative history side of things.

If he'd perished would there have been a referendum, if so would leave have won ?Would the Johnson be PM now ?