advertisement

Vast Brexit thread merge part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
My position is this; give us a list of options that are a) negotiable and b) doable and then let us choose between them.

Calling all rabid Remainers.

Come on you know who you are.

Hypothetical scenario type question for you:

1. EU/UK government reach an agreement. 2. UK Parliament ratifies it. UK leaves EU on 31 Oct. Medical/food supplies remain plentiful. 4. jaguar/Nissan don't go bust or up-sticks. 5. Bog paper freely available to those who wish to purchase it. 6. Johnson wins GE with a majority of 50.

How do you respond/what do you do next?

Raymond F
I would rather be proved wrong & the country didn't go tits up than the other way round but the more likely scenario is that BJ gets back in & destroys economy/society.

Just to remind those ducking the question, here is the main point of my opening post:

All 9 positions are approximate. Pick one that is the closest fit and then elaborate.

If none fit just elaborate.

If someone got in my taxi and just said, "Leave!" They would also be asked to leave if they didn't give me a destination.
Indeed,

I quite like to read a contract before signing it.

Some strange folk sign a blank sheet of paper then ask others to get on with the small print.

Just to remind those ducking the question, here is the main point of my opening post:

All 9 positions are approximate. Pick one that is the closest fit and then elaborate.

If none fit just elaborate.

If someone got in my taxi and just said, "Leave!" They would also be asked to leave if they didn't give me a destination.
Considering I would like to see countries getting on and trading openly and I voted out because i don't think we need to employ a small city's worth of people to administer that, and I Idon't think uk can influence it enough for the huge amount of change I would like to see, I don't see one option that is anywhere near close.

In summary I am partly 1 and partly 9.

Marvellous.

The minimum acceptable leave is staying in the CU and SM. I believe the status quo of 8 is the perfect position for the UK, full access and participation but without the Euro and Schengen. For Scotland independent I’d prefer an 8 with Schengen, but realistically it would be have to be a 9.

That the right wingers have convinced the working class hard of thinking to support something that is profoundly against their interests is one of the biggest heists of recent times.

Last edited:
The minimum acceptable leave is stating in the CU and SM. I believe the status quo of 8 is the perfect position for the UK, full access and participation but without the Euro and Schengen. For Scotland independent I’d prefer an 8 with Schengen, but realistically it would be have to be a 9.

That the right wingers have convinced the working class hard of thinking to support something that is profoundly against their interests is one of the biggest heists of recent times.

Quite,

"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political power to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics in the twentieth century." (Aneurin Bevan)

Only the century has changed.

Considering I would like to see countries getting on and trading openly and I voted out because i don't think we need to employ a small city's worth of people to administer that, and I Idon't think uk can influence it enough for the huge amount of change I would like to see, I don't see one option that is anywhere near close.

In summary I am partly 1 and partly 9.

Marvellous.

How do you maintain standards and ensure regulatory alignment without having a mechanism to agree on the regulation and ensure compliance?

A free-for-all isn't going to work.

For example, we don't want lead paint in children's toys or rat droppings in ketchup.

Without harmonised regulation you have to have border checks to ensure compliance in any given area.

Very hypothetical.

You do understand if there is a deal, however whiffy, that is just the start of the negotiations on the details of leaving and the future relationship. It will last for years and years, gobbling up government attention. This would just be the end of the beginning of the process.

No, thought not.

Actually......yep. This is not the end, this is not even the beginning of the end - but it is the end of the beginning.

Item 7 added at Tony's request

1. EU/UK government reach an agreement. 2. UK Parliament ratifies it. UK leaves EU on 31 Oct. Medical/food supplies remain plentiful. 4. jaguar/Nissan don't go bust or up-sticks. 5. Bog paper freely available to those who wish to purchase it. 6. Johnson wins GE with a majority of 50. 7. No discernible effect on the GFA/NI peace process.

Raymond F

It'll never happen.

But seriously...

Calling all rabid Leavers.

1. EU/UK government fail to reach an agreement. 2. UK Parliament makes the johnson send the letter. UK doesn't leave EU on 31 Oct. 4. Another referendum is held, as after 3 plus years it finally dawns on tiny minded self interested politicians - as well as the good ones - that this is the only way to kill this toxicity. And with a 70% majority for remain, remainers stance of the last four years is vindicated 5. Bog paper freely available to those who wish to purchase it, to mop up after incontinent leavers, who are prosecuted retrospectively for a new offence, Technical Treason In the Pay of a Foreign Power, as the stuff about Banks, Cummings, the johnson et al is found to have serious foundation. 6. Greens/Plaid/SNP alliance wins GE with a majority of 50.

Raymond Buntcubble

Nice one FF, glad to see your chums chimed in on cue too.

Item 7 added at Tony's request

1. EU/UK government reach an agreement. 2. UK Parliament ratifies it. UK leaves EU on 31 Oct. Medical/food supplies remain plentiful. 4. jaguar/Nissan don't go bust or up-sticks. 5. Bog paper freely available to those who wish to purchase it. 6. Johnson wins GE with a majority of 50. 7. No discernible effect on the GFA/NI peace process.

Raymond F
There's a corresponding scenario for you to address, one that's a little more likely.

Crack on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back