advertisement

Vast Brexit thread merge part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mogg tabled a meaningful vote for Monday and BJ has indicated he will not ask for an extension. How any of the Labour rebels or Tory defectors can vote for his deal. Huge march outside parliament and the Tories just ignore it. What a sorry state the parliament is in.
I can't understand how the rebels/defectors tolerate the behaviour. I could understand supporting the deal with a confirmatory referendum. That would be 'will of the people' . But if this government is running scared of that it would seem obvious it needs to happen.
Charlie Haughey in his day had nothing on this Tory shower. Listening to the Francois yoke go on about the ERG. A party within a party!
Regardless of whether you were pro or against Brexit is all most unsavoury. I wouldn't like them to be my government.

Who the hell promoted Francois to Corporal? That’s Private/cannon-fodder material at best, though given the shape of him he’d be lucky to make it up the ladder out of the trenches...
I saw him walking (well more like a waddle really) for the first time yesterday. What a freaky example of a human being. So you start with this vision of a human that’s been put together with mismatched spare parts and then put in a press to reduce his size and then it gets worse - he begins to speak.

His trousers looked about four sizes too big for him and I did think he might actually have shit himself. I’d imagine washing his underpants is well into industrial laundry territory.

It’s becoming quite apparent that Brexit is going to break the UK before it can do anything similar to Europe. There’s only going to be one winner in the war started by the Tory Party and Farage.
It’s going to be a bitter pill for those here who’ve been salivating for deliberate damage to be caused to Europe as part of the Brexit project.

It’s becoming quite apparent that Brexit is going to break the UK before it can do anything similar to Europe. There’s only going to be one winner in the war started by the Tory Party and Farage.
It’s going to be a bitter pill for those here who’ve been salivating for deliberate damage to be caused to Europe as part of the Brexit project.

I've said it before but the SNP would be extremely foolish to go into another referendum looking at a 52-48 split. To begin a new epoch you need a clear and decisive mandate. That was the theme behind the split with Labour in 79.

Meanwhile, the scale and tone of the Brexit counter demonstration is laid bare,

@matthabusby

There's about two dozen people chanting in support of Boris Johnson, Donald Trump and Tommy Robinson, singing "Bye bue EU". Insults shouted towards them by pro EU demonstrators. "Are these the Brexiteers?" an Austrian man asks me

whoever they are their actions are inexcusable.
"Whoever they are".

I think it matters who. Johnson's support is not coming from lexiters or from the left in general. It's coming from the right of the party. These are all people who've been indulged and boosted by the liberal press because they provided endless headlines about Labour splits; people who the left have tried to censure only to be met with handwringing about Stalinist purges, Momentum thuggery etc.

It's inevitable that whatever happens Labour's going to get the blame. But what you're basically saying is "Any decent leader would have dealt properly with the idiot faction that I myself supported!" and it's just a bit much.

Is there any chance of a bit of self-reflection on the part of remainers, I wonder. Any chance that they might look at the Labour moderates and honourable Tories gearing up to vote for Johnson's deal and say, "Maybe we were wrong to indulge these incompetent blowhards. Maybe we should have been focusing critical attention on them, instead of Seumus Milne."

No way!

Labour dun Brexit!

Boooooo!

Bercow has indicated very strongly that he won't allow it...
See that but the behaviour and actions are just dreadful. To follow the theme the Tory heckling of speakers on the opposition benches and all marching out when the SNP lady got up to speak. What right thinking person could support the behaviour of these people. Wasn't impressed much by Blackford today. We all get it he wants independence but he is part of a union. Ok mention Scotland but score some more points.

I've said it before but the SNP would be extremely foolish to go into another referrendum looking at a 52-48 split. To begin a new epoch you need a clear and decisive mandate. That was the theme behind the split with Labour in 79.
The considered opinion up here is that the SNP and the Scottish public won’t determine Scottish independence- that decision will occur in Westminster and it’s already well rooted. Watch what’s going on in front of you right now and read Johnson’s history of utterances on the subject.

The considered opinion up here is that the SNP and the Scottish public won’t determine Scottish independence- that decision will occur in Westminster and it’s already well rooted. Watch what’s going on in front of you right now and read Johnson’s history of utterances on the subject.

Only Labour (Corbyn) would / might allow it. My parents are sweaties, I'm all in favour, but it needs to be clear cut to beat off the right wing.

Mogg tabled a meaningful vote for Monday and BJ has indicated he will not ask for an extension.

I don’t understand, surely that means Johnson will be up in front of The Beak if he doesn’t apply for an extension by 11:00pm tonight? That is now law, it was passed today.

"Whoever they are".

I think it matters who. Johnson's support is not coming from lexiters or from the left in general. It's coming from the right of the party. These are all people who've been indulged and boosted by the liberal press because they provided endless headlines about Labour splits; people who the left have tried to censure only to be met with handwringing about Stalinist purges, Momentum thuggery etc.

It's inevitable that whatever happens Labour's going to get the blame. But what you're basically saying is "Any decent leader would have dealt properly with the idiot faction that I myself supported!" and it's just a bit much.

Is there any chance of a bit of self-reflection on the part of remainers, I wonder. Any chance that they might look at the Labour moderates and honourable Tories gearing up to vote for Johnson's deal and say, "Maybe we were wrong to indulge these incompetent blowhards. Maybe we should have been focusing critical attention on them, instead of Seumus Milne."

No way!

Labour dun Brexit!

Boooooo!

Sean, I think it’s quite a bit simpler. Labour- fatal strategic blunder 2016. The die is cast. The best that can be hoped for from this is creative destruction. The Tories are in the same boat- they’ll split apart.

Andrea Leadsome said:
Thank goodness for our superb police. Just walked home safely from HoC with their protection - why do the so called ‘People’s Vote’ protesters think it’s ok to abuse, intimidate and scream in the face of someone they don’t agree with? So frightening, and so grateful to the police

Firstly the hypocrisy is dripping off this vile woman. Secondly unless the demonstration took a turn I didn't witness or feel she's a liar... oh hang on she's an MP, of course she's a liar!

Broken Britain took another turn for the worse today with a footy match being abandoned after players walked off the pitch because of racist abuse. Very nearly the same at Hartlepool United game a few weeks ago.

These people are Johnson’s target audience.

I don’t understand, surely that means Johnson will be up in front of The Beak if he doesn’t apply for an extension by 11:00pm tonight? That is now law, it was passed today.

Who knows, it doesn't seem very clear cut:

"Is article 50 extended?
According to the terms of the Benn act, the government will have to request one – although Downing Street has in the past hinted it hoped to circumvent the legislation in some way. In theory, the EU27 could veto any request for a delay.

The Benn act set a deadline of 11pm on Saturday for Johnson to win parliamentary approval of his Brexit deal, or request a delay. He is now legally obliged to do that but has not given any details on how and is insisting he is not legally compelled to ask for an extension.

Instead, the Conservative party said in a statement: “Parliament has voted to delay Brexit again. The Prime Minister will not ask for a delay – he will tell EU leaders there should be no more delays and we should get Brexit done on October 31st with our new deal so the country can move on.”

Screenshot-2019-10-19-Chris-Morris-on-Twitter-Quote-of-the-day-g.png

I shouldn't laugh, but... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back