advertisement

Vast Brexit thread merge part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about another distinction ? That no-one (including yourself) has been able to provide a single instance of the EU making your life worse; whereas Johnson, and by extension Cumming et al, are about to make almost everyone in the UK poorer.
And Yes 'we' can remove them but by then irreversible damage is done.

I was 12 when the UK went into the EEC, so how would I know. The EU is completely insinuated into all of our lives.

Now it's perfectly possible that the EU has in certain ways made my life better. To take a random example, I can travel with ease, should I so wish, and observe first-hand how the EU has directly made people's lives in Greece worse, and almost everyone a lot poorer.

But I can't remove the people that did it, and far more importantly, neither can the Greeks.

Indeed. It must surely occur to Their Supreme Lordships that if a prorogation is necessary as some form of Parliamentary reset, which is a reasonable enough argument in and of itself, then it would have been a simple matter to have arranged it for a period during the conference season. The length of the prorogation is clearly unnecessary for the stated purpose the guvmint claims. A week in the middle of the conferences would surely have achieved the same ‘reset’ function, wouldn’t it?

Certainly not as low as you are prepared to go in giving cover to assorted avowed anti-Democrats, anti-democrats-in-denial, democracy-deniers, democracy-haters, unavowed thugs, egoists, egotists, egocentrics, narcicists, bullies, warmongers, convicted crooks, would be crooks, wanabee crooks, opportunistic political failures, snout-in-the-trough failed politicos, craftily-appointed bureaucrats, semi-elected autocrats, unelected technocrats, vainglorious plutocrats, empty-headed collectivists, cultural philistines, hands-on-onanists, hands-off-onanists, meglomaniacs, pseudo-gauleiters, never-rich-enough bankers, rule-the-world boursiers, never-too-rich lawyers, jet-setting luvvies, thug-hedgefunders, smug trustfunders, opportunist carpetbaggers, any-purpose-brown-envelopers, all-purpose-brown-nosers, oligeniously jumped-up-oiks and all-round liars of which a list including Adonis, Blair, Mandelson, Campbell, Verhofstadt, Cameron, Osborne, Grieve, Robbins, Kinnock, Tusk, Juncker, Von der Leyen, Borrell, Brown, May, Trichet, Draghi, Lagarde, Geldof, Dijsselbloem, Swinson, Clegg, Blankfein and Macron barely scratches the surface.

Every organisation has a few rough diamonds but you have to admit that mostly the EU chaps are splendid.

I've got a good deal.

Shut down the EP, ECJ, EC and all the E stuff the public doesn't understand and give the proceeds to the homeless. Any left over can go to the trapped asylum seekers.

Way to go Jezzer!

I watched a lot of the proceedings today and would certainly agree that Pannick had a better day in court than Keen. Still, even the Guardian was forced to concede that it would be “not normal” for the Supreme Court to consider Johnson’s prorogation unlawful. As I understand it they are required to give a ruling based on constitutional law. It would be easier if we had a written constitution but we don’t, so now it comes down to judicial precedent, interpretation and convention. Whichever way it goes I can’t imagine all 11 judges will be aligned.

I watched a lot of the proceedings today and would certainly agree that Pannick had a better day in court than Keen. Still, even the Guardian was forced to concede that it would be “not normal” for the Supreme Court to consider Johnson’s prorogation unlawful. As I understand it they are required to give a ruling based on constitutional law. It would be easier if we had a written constitution but we don’t, so now it comes down to judicial precedent, interpretation and convention. Whichever way it goes I can’t imagine all 11 judges will be aligned.

Yes I'd agree with that. I think the important point for me was made early on, if 5 weeks is acceptable then so too six months or a year...

No deal casualties. We all knew the beef industry in Ireland would be disproportionately impacted by a No deal. The second article about the NI Bus maker is tragic. Wrights group appear to be in big trouble. It is one of the leading exporters in NI. Orders for their buses have dried up due to brexit uncertainty but the straw that breaks the camels back is the co-founder William Wright was a key supporter of leave in NI. The Chinese are looking at investing but it looks bad for this indigenous local company. But Brexit means Brexit and it isn't all about jobs, income and prosperity it is about some other intangibly positive things as I have read on this thread today. Socking a big one to all those terrible Eurocrats makes it all worthwhile. As so many others have posted here no doubt the ill wind will be felt by many as time passes. It will be a slow death by a thousand cuts and even if reversed quickly it will take a generation to recover.

apologises forgot to include the story on the number of Irish beef farms that would be unviable with no deal brexit. 33%. Put the souffle story link in by mistake!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/wor...-and-depth-of-an-overcooked-souffle-1.4010024

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/wor...is-bus-in-talks-as-brexit-risk-hits-1.4020113

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back