advertisement

Vann Damme speaker cable

Is your current amplifier Naim? Van Damme Blue is not suitable for Naim amps, but their flat HiFi range is compatible apparently. I use 4mm VD blue with my Quad 306 to excellent effect, Naca5 for my Naim amps. Consider Witch Hat for their flexible speaker cables which are cheaper than Naca5 if you own Naim.
I second tis opinion tat naca5 is unbeatable for naim amps as lon as usin te sa8 amp plus and ettin te solderin proffessionally done as te correct solder and solderin plays a ue part in ettin te best SQ. Te witc at replacement for naca6 is also a very muc ceaper option to naca5 and id reccommend tis too.

Does anyone know why it's not recommened for Naim then? I have 2 x 135 mono amps...
Te inductance and capacitance on naca6 is perfect for naim amps cos of an inner zobel curcuit wic is not used as in oter amps and tis supposodely improves SQ in teir amps. Its also wy teir amps sound very direct and immediate and expressive also as teir naca5 cable becomes part of te inner amp curcuit because of tis. In oter words its an alternative enius wic more amp makers sould try to do for best SQ.

I was trying to apply Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
Alternatively Julf, it may just be a considered design choice by Mr Vereker and his design team that you happen to disagree with. There is no ultimate truth in amplifier design, just differing compromises. Other amplifier brands are available to choose from, for those who feel that the original Naim circuit is not suitable for their uses, and many do so.
I once had the privilege of meeting Julian Vereker. He was many things, but stupid was not one of them.

Van Damme, Mogami, Sommer etc.... ARE all easily bettered, and that's from my own personal trial, not someones keyboard drivel.

Last edited:
Alternatively Julf, it may just be a considered design choice by Mr Vereker and his design team that you happen to disagree with. There is no ultimate truth in amplifier design, just differing compromises. Other amplifier brands are available to choose from, for those who feel that the original Naim circuit is not suitable for their uses, and many do so.
I once had the privilege of meeting Julian Vereker. He was many things, but stupid was not one of them.

I had written something similar but deleted it for fear of starting a daft war of words over a man that I suspect few here knew well, but many owe a lot to. I was lucky enough to work for Naim for a while, I knew him a tiny bit, nothing more, but he was a huge character, not a marketeer, an enthusiast who built a company that loved music, that in turn gainfully employed a good number of local folk. He was generous to those of us that worked there, Christmas parties were legendary. Mocking his memory with the suggestion he was stupid or a marketeer is very wide of the mark and poor form. I am no substitute for the defence Julian would have mounted nor will I try to be. I have said enough but felt I should say it regardless of the likely come backs. This is not as friendly a forum as I would wish, but to hear such junk spoken, well I feel it has to have some response. Thanks Naimlover for the encouragement.

I had written something similar but deleted it for fear of starting a daft war of words over a man that I suspect few here knew well, but many owe a lot to. I was lucky enough to work for Naim for a while, I knew him a tiny bit, nothing more, but he was a huge character, not a marketeer, an enthusiast who built a company that loved music, that in turn gainfully employed a good number of local folk. He was generous to those of us that worked there, Christmas parties were legendary. Mocking his memory with the suggestion he was stupid or a marketeer is very wide of the mark and poor form. I am no substitute for the defence Julian would have mounted nor will I try to be. I have said enough but felt I should say it regardless of the likely come backs. This is not as friendly a forum as I would wish, but to hear such junk spoken, well I feel it has to have some response. Thanks Naimlover for the encouragement.
Nobeone, thanks for sharing your story with us and making the forum a more friendly place. God bless you.

Yes, Jules was a good guy. I knew him well enough in the early days to stay with him a couple of times, and do some work for him. He just wanted to enjoy his music in his little terraced house, and drive fast cars, and used what skills he had to make electronics that got him closer to the experience he thought should be possible. He treated his staff better than well, he was rigorous, demanding, perceptive, generous. Painting him as a a marketeer is just nonsense; he was utterly disparaging of marketing. You wanted one of his amps? Fine. You didn’t? Ok. In the days when amps had big meters, and lots of knobs, and huge shiny cases he made an amp in a dull black box and a preamp with stupid plastic knobs and wonky paintwork and raw metal. Not exactly marketing. He dedicated himself to the preposterous idea (at the time) that amplifiers could sound different, that some could make music more intelligible than others. And the speaker cable? He just happened to use cable from RS components to listen to his amps, and the cable just happened to have some electrical characteristics that he perhaps overlooked. Nobody’s perfect. But he deserves enormous respect. (and I don’t have any naim equipment).

Yes, Jules was a good guy. I knew him well enough in the early days to stay with him a couple of times, and do some work for him. He just wanted to enjoy his music in his little terraced house, and drive fast cars, and used what skills he had to make electronics that got him closer to the experience he thought should be possible. He treated his staff better than well, he was rigorous, demanding, perceptive, generous. Painting him as a a marketeer is just nonsense; he was utterly disparaging of marketing. You wanted one of his amps? Fine. You didn’t? Ok. In the days when amps had big meters, and lots of knobs, and huge shiny cases he made an amp in a dull black box and a preamp with stupid plastic knobs and wonky paintwork and raw metal. Not exactly marketing. He dedicated himself to the preposterous idea (at the time) that amplifiers could sound different, that some could make music more intelligible than others. And the speaker cable? He just happened to use cable from RS components to listen to his amps, and the cable just happened to have some electrical characteristics that he perhaps overlooked. Nobody’s perfect. But he deserves enormous respect. (and I don’t have any naim equipment).

Thanks for sharing too Andy! My dad knew him a little from racing minis, he loved his cars, the MG F first came out when I was at Naim, Julian couldn't resist a test drive from the Rover garage at the end of the street ... nobody got hurt as I understand it but I believe the MG F took a little roll at the roundabout ... :p sorry entirely OT but a nice Interlude I hope!

Thanks for sharing too Andy! My dad knew him a little from racing minis, he loved his cars, the MG F first came out when I was at Naim, Julian couldn't resist a test drive from the Rover garage at the end of the street ... nobody got hurt as I understand it but I believe the MG F took a little roll at the roundabout ... :p sorry entirely OT but a nice Interlude I hope!
Yeah, I remember Julian driving me to London in his Jag a couple of times .. there’s a stretch of absolutely straight Roman road on the route .. the speed limit was definitely exceeded. Quite possibly by a factor of two.

I've got some Naim cable which is very stiff and awkward to run as we all know - It came with my Naim NAC 42 and NAP 110 - I also have an Olive shoebox Nait 2. I just want to make sure that this Van Damme cable so often mentioned here in this thread is ideal for Naim amplification having all the right electrical parameters for Naim to perform at its best.

I would also like to use the same speaker cable permanently using regular amps too (Yamaha AS801, Musical Fidelity M3si etc).

I would need a 5 metre pair.

I currently use Van Den Hul The Snowline.

I just want to make sure that this Van Damme cable so often mentioned here in this thread is ideal

Ideal is a word that conjures up consensus.

No such thing, especially on a Hi-Fi Forum.

I have some 20 metres of various Van Damme cable in my system, good enough for the Pro Audio market but maybe not good enough for the Hi-Fi market !

advertisement

Back