advertisement

Vann Damme speaker cable

I have used Sommer from Studiospares, 2 core by 2.5mm, and for a particular application 4 by 2.5 plus 2 by 4.00 (6core). In both cases flexible, low cost and very effective. Copper of course, mainly black, but thry do a grey, which I have not used. Good service from Studiospares

If Naim, check the specifications match their reccomendatios.
Advice as above 2.5 adequate for 5 mtrs say up to 200/300watts

I use the 4mm black - 6m run betwixt Quad amp and Audio Note speakers. No issues with it at all. It runs under the house and down/up through the flooring so the protective outer was a selling point.

Been using Van Damme 4mm Blue for a while. At first with Quad amps and now with a NAD. It's relatively cheap and does the job well. Years ago I had a Naim system and the cost and inflexibility of Naca 5 annoyed me.

Jack

Because Naim left out the normal compensation network (the engineers amongst us would call it a bad design decision), and as a result the amps become unstable and oscillate unless provided with the right load inductance and capacitance.
Correct, but the Van Damme is a fairly low capacitance cable, just like the original NACA. Only the widely spaced thin conductor cables are lower.
You should avoid the parallel tape, coaxial and Litz construction low inductance cables.

edit - DNM Reson is an example of the very widely spaced cable

Last edited:
I have been using 10 metre length of Van Damme Toure black 4 mm previously had Naca 5. Such an hard cable to use especially under carpets. I’m happy have lost no discernible sound stage, sold on the Naca 5.

Regards,

Martin

6MM Blue owner here- prefer it to the more VD expensive 'Hifi series', as it sounds good, great VFM and built like a brick out house, also use the Blue interconnect and very good that is too.:)

Last edited:
6MM Blue owner here- prefer it to the more VD 'Hifi series', as it sounds good, great VFM and built like a brick out house, also use the Blue interconnect and very good that is too.:)

May I ask. Where did you buy the blue interconnect from?

S.

The Van Damme HiFi 4mm cable is probably the closest in construction to the NACA5. It is spaced shotgun configuration, so very low capacitance. Well suited to Naim or non-Zobel amps. I use some with an old Exposure IV.

I use VD blue, it's good. You could also experiment with a mains cable for long run speaker cabling, don't knock it till you've tried it. Costs loose change and if you don't like it you have a spare extension lead.

The outer jacket thickness is a bit OTT IMO and is a bugger to strip back without the appropriate tools,
A Stanley knife and a bit of care will do it, watch an electrician stripping cables to see how.

after witnessing the colour of the copper inside the clear jacket of Gale XL-315 speaker cable change from a fresh pinky colour to a dull brown colour due to exposure to UV light over the course of a couple of years, I have been put off buying any more cables with a transparent jacket.
That's not a function of it being transparent and UV light, that's oxygen entering the ends or finding its way through the insulation by diffusion. All cable does that, it's only the clear ones that let you see it.

I use an 8m pair of Mogami 2972 (4*2mm cores) with the cores paired into the banana plugs. Works very well. You can also set it for bi-wiring using each of the 4 cores if that is what you want to do.

Because Naim left out the normal compensation network (the engineers amongst us would call it a bad design decision), and as a result the amps become unstable and oscillate unless provided with the right load inductance and capacitance.
so, a bad mistake, and not a way to sell their own cables by threats of amp damage? Interesting.

I'm using an 8m pair of their 4mm LC-OFC bought in this very Parish at a fraction of the NACA5 it replaced. I needed a more flexible cable and not expecting much change in sound but I was very happy with the result. Sounded richer with a tighter bass to these ears. Excellent cable and great VFM.

I've been using two 9m runs of 4mm blue with my Naim amps for the last 5 years with out any issue whatsoever.

FWIW Naca5 was £5.90 a meter when I worked for Audio Excellence in the late 90s early 00s ;-)

advertisement

Back