advertisement

Van Morrison - Three Chords and the Truth

badlyread

pfm Member
Hi Guys

Not available on streaming and I'm reluctant to buy without hearing first as recent offering have been below par. Has anyone heard it? Care to comment?

Cheers

Neil

Yes the voice is still full of character, but unlike the Johnny Cash's, the Leonard Cohen's and Bobby Womack's who were still innovative in their later years Van is content to knock out 'albums by numbers'. This from the man who arguably made the greatest album ever, the album that still transfixes me every time I hear it. Astral Weeks of course.

I think he still has a voice and band in top form. Some might find the new stuff less challsnging. I am a fan of the old stuff, but I really think he still makes high quality music. I enjoy it.

Thanks all.
Listened to the samples. Nah, not happening. Some said ‘Poetic Champions Compose’ not even close. Last good album IMO was The Healing Game.
Any news on the Legacy re-releases?

True to form in that interview and felt a bit sorry for the interviewer! Like Keep Me Singing, give the new album at least half a dozen plays before passing judgment. It’s another tour de force.

He's essentially been re-releasing the same album for the last thirty years. I haven't bothered with anything after Hymns To The Silence (and even that is decidedly patchy). Same goes for his live performances. Seen him around half a dozen times over the years but apart from a gig at the Edinburgh Playhouse in the early 80's it's been pretty dull stuff. I console myself with that run from Astral Weeks to Beautiful Vision (and the high kicks from The Last Waltz).

"...I meet Morrison on a midweek morning in Cardiff...his hair a sweep of bracken red."
Mistaken identity surely. Hair?

I console myself with that run from Astral Weeks to Beautiful Vision (and the high kicks from The Last Waltz).
People on here must be sick of me saying this but the Live from Montreux concert DVD 1980 performance is an absolute must for anyone interested in Van.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000GIWRRA/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
Last thing of his chronologically that I still play is Coney Island. His voice went in the mid-eighties and I don't find his material inspiring...fair play to him for ploughing on.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
True to form in that interview and felt a bit sorry for the interviewer! Like Keep Me Singing, give the new album at least half a dozen plays before passing judgment. It’s another tour de force.

The Guardian piece is interesting and Laura Barton's last paragraph and summary is spot on. She was very polite to Morrison during the 16-minute interview, considering his surly and patronizing answers.

I wouldn't want to interview him. I did Lou Reed once and turned the tape recorder off after about 8 minutes, because he was being abusive. I thanked him for his time. Reed went absolutely mental and started screaming at me. This was in the backstage bar and restaurant area of a festival in Europe.

Some artists aren't worth the effort of talking to.

Listening to the Three Chords and the Truth on YouTube at the moment. Some of it is really good.

Jack

I've seen him live three times.
Twice, he was a grumpy fecker barely going through the motions.
Once, at WOMAD, with Georgie Fame backing him he was brilliant - even *gasp* joking with the crowd.

As I recall, I like the ones with Candy Dulfer (sax) and Georgie Fame (Hammond organ). Also Hymns to the Silence.
I go as far back as when the weekend on tv started with Them's "Baby Please Don't Go" as a signature tune to "Ready Steady Go". I bought that 45rpm, (about the mid-sixties.)

advertisement

Back